What's new

Is there any way to improve the performance of a synthetic brush?

Was in Target the other day, saw that the Bevel shave products were 30% off so I got the brush since my regular daily brush is very old and very worn. Big mistake. This piece of junk is stiff enough to hang a wet towel from. Turns cream and soap into useless, runny, bubbly scum regardless of how little water you use. Does not hold lather, if you would even call what this thing generates lather that is. It runs off the bristles like water off a duck’s back. Almost like it’s shaving cream resistant. I am not being facetious when I say the handle holds lather better than the bristles, whatever doesn’t end up on your wrist. Not even paint brush strokes work to apply the ‘lather’ if you’d even call it that. I actually ended up holding the bristles in my hand and using the handle to apply the lather, at least that kept it from running down my hand and wrist. Basically unusable. Maybe even dangerous, because your hand will be so slick you cannot grip the razor. Brings a whole new meaning to the term ‘hand lather’.

I honestly cannot believe this company has the audacity to sell this piece of junk at regular price for $30..they must be absolutely psychotic. I know for a fact you can get a serviceable brush for 1/3 of that or less. Not very experienced with synthetics myself, but was under the impression that they’re typically softer, no break-in required like with a boar brush. Well for comparison, if synthetics did indeed need breaking in and this brush was a baseball glove..a thousand 102 mph fastballs from Jacob DeGrom couldn’t break this thing in I’m guessing.

Is there anything that can be done to somehow make this worthless thing even semi-useable? I’ve tried hot water and hair conditioner that’s the only thing I can think of but I imagine that would work better with natural bristle brushes. Is it just me or has anybody else made the mistake of buying this thing and had a similar experience? I once bought the dollar tree shave brush just for fun and didn’t expect anything from it but that brush as bad as it is, was dirt cheap and works much better.

I’m debating on whether to throw this thing in the trash, or use it as a fish scaler unless someone has any hacks to make it useable. This is the first time I ever bought something at a markdown price and was left feeling heavily ripped off. I hate to just throw something away and I definitely wouldn’t want to give this away to a noob and then end up turning them off traditional shaving. What really gets me is that this company markets their junk as helping prevent irritation..this brush is more aggressive than a Muhle R41. What a joke.

I’m sure a lot of folks here often wander over to the shaving section and you may see this thing on the shelf marked down. Please don’t make the same mistake I did. That is why I am posting this..maybe someone without much experience with shaving brushes like myself and hates ordering online can be saved from wasting their money. Plus when a company makes overpriced junk, I think it should be put out there. Normally it’s no big deal, you buy something you’re unhappy with you move on. But this thing was so bad, I had to get it off my chest. I wasn’t expecting anything special either, my expectations were already low but I was absolutely blown away with how terrible the brush is. I don’t have any experience with top shelf brushes either, nothing but cheaper ones. In fact this was the most I’ve ever paid for a brush, $21 after the 30% markdown so I am actually shocked at just how bad it was. Could have gotten an Omega, and a tube of Proraso for that. I wish I did. So in summary, is my unbiased review, as I’ve no experience with any of their other products: -5 stars out of 5.

Last edited:
If water is running out of the brush you've used far too much water. Lathering a synthetic is very different from a badger or boar.

Dip the brush into warm to hot water and then shake it out very thoroughly. Add soap or cream to either your face, brush or a bowl and agitate it. If extra water is needed, which it probably will be, dip just the tips of the brush into water and then continue building your lather. There should be nothing sloppy going on at all.

Please don't compare a synthetic brush with boar or badger - they are totally different.

Synthetic brushes have come a long way since I tried them first.
My first experience was more like yours, but after Mühle came out several years ago with their Silvertip Fibres other manufacturers followed suit with very good synthetic brushes, but - as you just found out - that does not apply to all of them.

Synthetic fibres being what they are, I doubt that you will be able to improve your brushes performance.
Having said that, a synthetics brush that does not work for shaving does not need to be tossed out and could sometimes be adapted to other duties. For example, I use a synthetic brush that fell short of my expectations to clean the dust between the keys of my keyboard.

With synthetics, like with all shaving bushes, you buy the manufacturer.
Mühle, Shavemac, Simpsons (and some others) produce some very capable synthetic brushes, but it pays off to do some research beforehand.

B.

Was in Target the other day, saw that the Bevel shave products were 30% off so I got the brush since my regular daily brush is very old and very worn. Big mistake. This piece of junk is stiff enough to hang a wet towel from. Turns cream and soap into useless, runny, bubbly scum regardless of how little water you use. Does not hold lather, if you would even call what this thing generates lather that is. It runs off the bristles like water off a duck’s back. Almost like it’s shaving cream resistant. I am not being facetious when I say the handle holds lather better than the bristles, whatever doesn’t end up on your wrist. Not even paint brush strokes work to apply the ‘lather’ if you’d even call it that. I actually ended up holding the bristles in my hand and using the handle to apply the lather, at least that kept it from running down my hand and wrist. Basically unusable. Maybe even dangerous, because your hand will be so slick you cannot grip the razor. Brings a whole new meaning to the term ‘hand lather’.

I honestly cannot believe this company has the audacity to sell this piece of junk at regular price for $30..they must be absolutely psychotic. I know for a fact you can get a serviceable brush for 1/3 of that or less. Not very experienced with synthetics myself, but was under the impression that they’re typically softer, no break-in required like with a boar brush. Well for comparison, if synthetics did indeed need breaking in and this brush was a baseball glove..a thousand 102 mph fastballs from Jacob DeGrom couldn’t break this thing in I’m guessing.

Is there anything that can be done to somehow make this worthless thing even semi-useable? I’ve tried hot water and hair conditioner that’s the only thing I can think of but I imagine that would work better with natural bristle brushes. Is it just me or has anybody else made the mistake of buying this thing and had a similar experience? I once bought the dollar tree shave brush just for fun and didn’t expect anything from it but that brush as bad as it is, was dirt cheap and works much better.

I’m debating on whether to throw this thing in the trash, or use it as a fish scaler unless someone has any hacks to make it useable. This is the first time I ever bought something at a markdown price and was left feeling heavily ripped off. I hate to just throw something away and I definitely wouldn’t want to give this away to a noob and then end up turning them off traditional shaving. What really gets me is that this company markets their junk as helping prevent irritation..this brush is more aggressive than a Muhle R41. What a joke.

I’m sure a lot of folks here often wander over to the shaving section and you may see this thing on the shelf marked down. Please don’t make the same mistake I did. That is why I am posting this..maybe someone without much experience with shaving brushes like myself and hates ordering online can be saved from wasting their money. Plus when a company makes overpriced junk, I think it should be put out there. Normally it’s no big deal, you buy something you’re unhappy with you move on. But this thing was so bad, I had to get it off my chest. I wasn’t expecting anything special either, my expectations were already low but I was absolutely blown away with how terrible the brush is. I don’t have any experience with top shelf brushes either, nothing but cheaper ones. In fact this was the most I’ve ever paid for a brush, $21 after the 30% markdown so I am actually shocked at just how bad it was. Could have gotten an Omega, and a tube of Proraso for that. I wish I did. So in summary, is my unbiased review, as I’ve no experience with any of their other products: -5 stars out of 5.
Yaqi synthetic brushes are great. Excellent entry level ones in their range.

Go onto AE and at the Yaqi shop they do factory seconds. You can pick up a £20-30 brush for as little as 7. The Dollar is about the same as a Pound at the moment.

I picked up a £22 brush for 7, and the delivery was very fast. I can't see anything wrong with it at all.

Last edited:
I might have saved $2k on brushes over the past decade+, if only synths today were as good as my RR Plissoft 24mm when I first started. My first synth, I PIF'd. The second was only useful as keyboard cleaner. While I still favor my more expensive 2 & 3 band badgers most days, depending on the soap, I do prefer my RR synth for older or discontinued soaps that I want to preserve.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can't imagine a way to turn it into a decent brush. I don't purchase anything that hasn't received good reviews here first, but that's not really helpful.

I've got a RR Bruce or Big Bruce that I think only cost about $12ish or so. I'd use it for a cleaning brush in the kitchen and purchase a new synthetic.

If water is running out of the brush you've used far too much water. Lathering a synthetic is very different from a badger or boar.

Dip the brush into warm to hot water and then shake it out very thoroughly. Add soap or cream to either your face, brush or a bowl and agitate it. If extra water is needed, which it probably will be, dip just the tips of the brush into water and then continue building your lather. There should be nothing sloppy going on at all.

Please don't compare a synthetic brush with boar or badger - they are totally different.
See that’s the thing, there was zero water running out of the brush. Just briefly soaked the tips and shook out..even wiped the excess water off my face before face lathering. Then all the sudden it looked like the Michelin Man was melting all over my sink, and down my forearms. I didn’t mean to compare this piece of junk to any boar or badger or any other synthetic for that matter, would be an insult to any other synthetic. I mean this was strangely bad.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Do you have a photo, I can usually tell what your dealing with. If it has Plissoft knot style it should be OK I'm thinking.

I went from badger to synthetic and now I'm back to badger. For me, between the badger bristle tips and the water retention it's just perfect for quickly making the best bowl lather for both creams and soaps . When soaking it in hot tap water, there's no adding water to the bowl. Perfect amount of water every time . I'm sticking with it for now

Do you have a photo, I can usually tell what your dealing with. If it has Plissoft knot style it should be OK I'm thinking.
This is it, not sure about the dimensions, nothing on the packaging about it, doesn’t even say what it’s made out of but definitely a synthetic just dyed to look like natural bristles
EA8CE775-3480-4A65-8835-3CD2089F2374.jpeg

I went from badger to synthetic and now I'm back to badger. For me, between the badger bristle tips and the water retention it's just perfect for quickly making the best bowl lather for both creams and soaps . When soaking it in hot tap water, there's no adding water to the bowl. Perfect amount of water every time . I'm sticking with it for now
Haven’t used badger yet but this post and the first post got me thinking, maybe trying even less water and seeing what it does. Always been on the stingy side with water as is then sprinkling a few drops as needed. Then perhaps I can at least keep my sink from looking like I murdered The Stay Puft Marshmellow Man in it. Just never seen a brush that can’t hold lather in it before and pukes it up all over. I’ll try just for the heck of it then if it isn’t the right consistency after lathering my face I can just slap a little water on my face with my hands and keep the razor extra wet and rinse it more often.

Ron R

This is it, not sure about the dimensions, nothing on the packaging about it, doesn’t even say what it’s made out of but definitely a synthetic just dyed to look like natural bristles
View attachment 1552280
It sure looks like a dense knot + it is not a Plissoft knot, all my synthetic knots when dry are soft when brushed lightly on the hand. If it is not you are out of luck IMO.
I would buy a Razorock or Yaqi synthetic 24-26mm and you should be a happy camper.

Razorock plissoft 24mm (2).jpg
Yaqi #1 Tuxedo knot Sagrada Familia 24mm (4).jpg

(L)This is a Razorock Plissoft 24mm synthetic and it is middle of the road brush and is very affordable will lather any soap!
(R) This is a Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot synthetic and it is a popular knot and will lather any soap easily!
Sorry to hear about your brush is not of Quality or your desired physical charteristic s.

It sure looks like a dense knot + it is not a Plissoft knot, all my synthetic knots when dry are soft when brushed lightly on the hand. If it is not you are out of luck IMO.
I would buy a Razorock or Yaqi synthetic 24-26mm and you should be a happy camper.

View attachment 1552287 View attachment 1552290
(L)This is a Razorock Plissoft 24mm synthetic and it is middle of the road brush and is very affordable will lather any soap!
(R) This is a Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot synthetic and it is a popular knot and will lather any soap easily!
Sorry to hear about your brush is not of Quality or your desired physical charteristic s.
Very nice looking brushes, those are the images that come to mind when I think synthetics. Figured I was out of luck because there’s no ‘break in’ period for a synthetic I’ve always heard they come ready to use right from the start. The other synthetics I’ve used in the past were easy to lather with straightaway.

The one thing I can say for this brush, it doesn’t shed at all, not even a hair but that doesn’t make up for the fact I could de-scale a tarpon with it.

Ron R

Very nice looking brushes, those are the images that come to mind when I think synthetics. Figured I was out of luck because there’s no ‘break in’ period for a synthetic I’ve always heard they come ready to use right from the start. The other synthetics I’ve used in the past were easy to lather with straightaway.

The one thing I can say for this brush, it doesn’t shed at all, not even a hair but that doesn’t make up for the fact I could de-scale a tarpon with it.
Life is to short I would spend 10 -12 dollars at West coast shaving or Italian barber and spoil your self with a nice brush. I saw the Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm on sale at WCS for like $10.50 add shipping of $5 and you have a nice brush for many years!

Top Bottom