What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Kim, I don't even know what an Athena razor is. I've never before heard of that one.

1667309155080.png

It sure is pretty. Plus the handle albeit too long looks fat enough. Good thing they are out of stock everywhere. Every review I read was positive.

The Elite is a razor I considered both before buying myself a Sailor and lately. I ended up concluding that I simply don't need one.

On the Rocnel website Murat says to remove the blade from the Elite between shaves. He makes a big point of that. I know other manufacturers and vendors say the say thing sometimes when discussing care of the stainless steel (or bronze) razors they sell. It is not something I ever do. I always leave today's DE blade in the razor until I decide whether to next use the blade in the same or a different razor. I suspect most guys do the same thing as me, but I know some don't. Removing the blade probably prevents staining of the metal, but I've never had that occur. Anyway, his statement for no particular reason turned me off on buying the Elite.

Rationally I need no razors.

On the other hand I might need an Athena, right.

1667308561706.png

Many gentlemen have mentioned that a Sailor covers the territory covered by all DE razors you already own or might ever buy. There is certainly merit to that statement. I'm actually thinking about selling most of my razors. That doesn't mean fixing to sell them, but it occurs to me on occasion.

What a hobby!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Kim, I don't even know what an Athena razor is. I've never before heard of that one.

View attachment 1549675

It sure is pretty. Plus the handle albeit too long looks fat enough. Good thing they are out of stock everywhere. Every review I read was positive.

The Elite is a razor I considered both before buying myself a Sailor and lately. I ended up concluding that I simply don't need one.

On the Rocnel website Murat says to remove the blade from the Elite between shaves. He makes a big point of that. I know other manufacturers and vendors say the say thing sometimes when discussing care of the stainless steel (or bronze) razors they sell. It is not something I ever do. I always leave today's DE blade in the razor until I decide whether to next use the blade in the same or a different razor. I suspect most guys do the same thing as me, but I know some don't. Removing the blade probably prevents staining of the metal, but I've never had that occur. Anyway, his statement for no particular reason turned me off on buying the Elite.

Rationally I need no razors.

On the other hand I might need an Athena, right.

View attachment 1549667

Many gentlemen have mentioned that a Sailor covers the territory covered by all DE razors you already own or might ever buy. There is certainly merit to that statement. I'm actually thinking about selling most of my razors. That doesn't mean fixing to sell them, but it occurs to me on occasion.

What a hobby!

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'm a little anal when it comes to tool cleaning and maintenance. I always break down a razor, clean and dry it after each shave. I flip the blade and reinstall it if it has more life left. I don't know if I'll actually leave the razor bladeless in between shaves or not but I did buy some blank magnetic business cards so I can keep blades in between two of them for blades that still have some life in them. I wouldn't need this if I wasn't in the middle of testing the 5 or 6 blade varieties I'm have on hand. After I settle on a final two or three, I'll just use them until they are dead but for now, the storage method might come in handy.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm a little anal when it comes to tool cleaning and maintenance. I always break down a razor, clean and dry it after each shave. I flip the blade and reinstall it if it has more life left. I don't know if I'll actually leave the razor bladeless in between shaves or not but I did buy some blank magnetic business cards so I can keep blades in between two of them for blades that still have some life in them. I wouldn't need this if I wasn't in the middle of testing the 5 or 6 blade varieties I'm have on hand. After I settle on a final two or three, I'll just use them until they are dead but for now, the storage method might come in handy.

That's a new blade storage trick at least new to me. I've seen a picture of an exposed-edges blade on a magnet with the magnet itself affixed to a wall. That wouldn't work for everyone, but it would probably work for many of us.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
That's a new blade storage trick at least new to me. I've seen a picture of an exposed-edges blade on a magnet with the magnet itself affixed to a wall. That wouldn't work for everyone, but it would probably work for many of us.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have teen agers around the house and a wife that cleans everything in sight. I always take my razors apart and clean them with a toothbrush after every shave and put the blade back in the wrapper. Sometimes I even put dashes on the blade wrapper to count the shaves.

~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have teen agers around the house and a wife that cleans everything in sight. I always take my razors apart and clean them with a toothbrush after every shave and put the blade back in the wrapper. Sometimes I even put dashes on the blade wrapper to count the shaves.

~doug~

I have children around the house - they're not my children but that doesn't matter - I encourage them to play with razor blades and guns. They're stupid but not that stupid.

(Actually, the above is mostly a bunch of lies, but not all of it.)

Think about all the dangerous stuff we did as kids. Most of my friends survived to reproduce proving it wasn't dangerous enough.

If I left a razor blade's exposed edge around I know full well who'd get cut by it. Me. I have ER records to prove it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have children around the house - they're not my children but that doesn't matter - I encourage them to play with razor blades and guns. They're stupid but not that stupid.

(Actually, the above is mostly a bunch of lies, but not all of it.)

Think about all the dangerous stuff we did as kids. Most of my friends survived to reproduce proving it wasn't dangerous enough.

If I left a razor blade's exposed edge around I know full well who'd get cut by it. Me. I have ER records to prove it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
It's not the children I'm worried about. It's WhichyPoo and her spray bottle of Windex she sprays all over the place. I got tired of having to cover my gear up to keep the unwanted overspray away.

I could make a nice glass covered case to protect my kit from the WhichyPoo...

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My wife was using our shared Waterpik the other day.. and sprayed all the stuff I have on the counter... razors and a few brushes.... our tap water leaves behind little white mineral deposits when it dries... and they are hard to remove. So I dried everything off... and tried to appear less irritated than I was. <eg>

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My wife was using our shared Waterpik the other day.. and sprayed all the stuff I have on the counter... razors and a few brushes.... our tap water leaves behind little white mineral deposits when it dries... and they are hard to remove. So I dried everything off... and tried to appear less irritated than I was. <eg>
At our condo this was a daily experience for me. Even after I cleaned the mirror myself. No amount of screaming or pleading made a difference.
The goatee, however, seems to strike a nerve. Too bad I like it so much that I don't ever want to shave my chin ever again.
At least WhichyPoo leaves the laundry room sink and mirror alone.

~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's not the children I'm worried about. It's WhichyPoo and her spray bottle of Windex she sprays all over the place. I got tired of having to cover my gear up to keep the unwanted overspray away.

I could make a nice glass covered case to protect my kit from the WhichyPoo...

~doug~

Hey, that's gotta be wrong. As a kid SWMBO was called Witchy-Poo-Queen-Of-The-Uglies by her brother. Not to go to far, but I get it.

OTOH, I can be a total jerk, so I earned her.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
At our condo this was a daily experience for me. Even after I cleaned the mirror myself. No amount of screaming or pleading made a difference.
The goatee, however, seems to strike a nerve. Too bad I like it so much that I don't ever want to shave my chin ever again.
At least WhichyPoo leaves the laundry room sink and mirror alone.

~doug~

I slept only four hours last night.

When I was dressing for work none of my favorite socks was where I keep my favorite socks which is right out in the open on top of a radiator where I can find them. That does not bother her.

I didn't want to wake her, but she woke up, so I asked her where they might be. I've told her repeatedly to leave my laundry alone. I keep up with it. My clothes are clean, etc. But, no, she's gotta do her compulsive laundry stuff, but that doesn't mean she puts my laundry where I want it nor does she hang things up properly nor does she fold things correctly, etc.

I managed to be barely forgiving. My patience on my socks is wearing thin.

She also throws away the toothpaste (mine not hers) when there's about three weeks left in the tube. I like to squeeze out the very last of it. It's not a money thing, but just fun for me to do and achieve. Why does she do that?

I certainly get this.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I slept only four hours last night.

When I was dressing for work none of my favorite socks was where I keep my favorite socks which is right out in the open on top of a radiator where I can find them. That does not bother her.

I didn't want to wake her, but she woke up, so I asked her where they might be. I've told her repeatedly to leave my laundry alone. I keep up with it. My clothes are clean, etc. But, no, she's gotta do her compulsive laundry stuff, but that doesn't mean she puts my laundry where I want it nor does she hang things up properly nor does she fold things correctly, etc.

I managed to be barely forgiving. My patience on my socks is wearing thin.

She also throws away the toothpaste (mine not hers) when there's about three weeks left in the tube. I like to squeeze out the very last of it. It's not a money thing, but just fun for me to do and achieve. Why does she do that?

I certainly get this.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'm 100% sure that I do plenty of things that annoy the heck out of my wife.
I could only imagine the many things my wife has adapted and changed for me. But she's to humble to ever let me know.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm 100% sure that I do plenty of things that annoy the heck out of my wife.
I could only imagine the many things my wife has adapted and changed for me. But she's to humble to ever let me know.

Okay, I'm convinced we're not married to the same WitchyPoo. She lets me know.

Good thing I suppose. Otherwise I'd be more clueless than I am.

(Oops, I mistook your SWMBO for someone else's.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It used to be used around here a lot more. I think it came from a tv show I never watched.

Makes life easier to determine how real it is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sort of a rough day today. I tried to get my 5K row in. I didn't feel all that well but I started anyway. I did make it to 3500 meters. I felt a bit dizzy and off kilter...

I really needed a shave so shower first. I used the massage head feature on my neck, back and shoulder.... Still didn't feel that great but you know how it is: you push through because that is the only alternative.

I decided to use my 24K plated BRG Overlander today. I had a 7 O'clock blade in it to start but when I got to my chin with 3 days growth on it, it was just too much for that blade so rather than struggle through, I put in a fresh Wizamet. That did the trick. As the shave continued, I started feeling feint but I managed to press through the shave and started the post shave skin treatments. I got the Metro Gel on.... I had to ask my wife to get the yoga mat unrolled for me before I passed out which she did for me and it's a good thing. I barely made it to a prone position.....

As I type, everything is cleaned up and put away.... the Hyaluronic acid and Neutrogena Hydro Boost was applied... and I'm sort of watching the Tenn/Georgia game. Not much of a game, I might add.

So, I have no idea what That was all about but all's well that ends well.

This is an exciting week for me. My Merkur 37C finally made it to the States and I should see it by the end of the coming week. My Athena is about to be dispatched to the States from Greece and my Rocnel Elite is having a bit of a delay but looks to be here by Wednesday if FedEx can figure it out. Add to that..... I broke down and ordered a Blackland Era at close out prices with three base plates and stand: 4SB, 4OC and 5OC... the 5SB was sold out at the time I placed my order.

4 New razors... this appears to be the end of my razor buying frenzy. As I've mentioned in a few other threads, the camera for which I've been waiting looks like it's going to be released in the first quarter of 2024. It's a new format so I'll end up buying a 100-500mm lens for it as well. This will severely limit my shaving slush fund as it will be converted to a photography gear slush fund instead. I'm quite happy with my small collection of razors I've been able to assemble this past few months so it's hardly a sacrifice.

I did change thing up a bit today.

The Cube and Tube 2.0
Timeless modest blue shaving bowl
Acca Kappa Barbershop
SV 2.0 Manchurian brush
Overlander BRG 24K hardened gold razor
Wizamet (1)
My usual post shave skin treatment listed above.

How was the shave. hmmmmm It's going to be hard to quantify since I wasn't feel well. The Overlander struggled with 3 days growth old man whiskers... or did it? It could have just been me. The end results were excellent but it took me quite a few passes to get my chin and Van Dyke areas smooth. The razor itself never drags or gives me pause due to aggressiveness. The only thing is... it was more of a struggle than a relaxing shave. I think that's because of the 3 days growth. The Blutt BR-1 1.0 and the ATT X1 AC Slant sail through 3 days growth like I'm shaving every day.... The same for the Claymore Evo.

I need to shave with the Overlander on Monday with just 2 days growth to give it another chance and hopefully I'll be feeling a bit better.

Sort of a rough day today. I tried to get my 5K row in. I didn't feel all that well but I started anyway. I did make it to 3500 meters. I felt a bit dizzy and off kilter...

I really needed a shave so shower first. I used the massage head feature on my neck, back and shoulder.... Still didn't feel that great but you know how it is: you push through because that is the only alternative.

I decided to use my 24K plated BRG Overlander today. I had a 7 O'clock blade in it to start but when I got to my chin with 3 days growth on it, it was just too much for that blade so rather than struggle through, I put in a fresh Wizamet. That did the trick. As the shave continued, I started feeling feint but I managed to press through the shave and started the post shave skin treatments. I got the Metro Gel on.... I had to ask my wife to get the yoga mat unrolled for me before I passed out which she did for me and it's a good thing. I barely made it to a prone position.....

As I type, everything is cleaned up and put away.... the Hyaluronic acid and Neutrogena Hydro Boost was applied... and I'm sort of watching the Tenn/Georgia game. Not much of a game, I might add.

So, I have no idea what That was all about but all's well that ends well.

This is an exciting week for me. My Merkur 37C finally made it to the States and I should see it by the end of the coming week. My Athena is about to be dispatched to the States from Greece and my Rocnel Elite is having a bit of a delay but looks to be here by Wednesday if FedEx can figure it out. Add to that..... I broke down and ordered a Blackland Era at close out prices with three base plates and stand: 4SB, 4OC and 5OC... the 5SB was sold out at the time I placed my order.

4 New razors... this appears to be the end of my razor buying frenzy. As I've mentioned in a few other threads, the camera for which I've been waiting looks like it's going to be released in the first quarter of 2024. It's a new format so I'll end up buying a 100-500mm lens for it as well. This will severely limit my shaving slush fund as it will be converted to a photography gear slush fund instead. I'm quite happy with my small collection of razors I've been able to assemble this past few months so it's hardly a sacrifice.

I did change thing up a bit today.

The Cube and Tube 2.0
Timeless modest blue shaving bowl
Acca Kappa Barbershop
SV 2.0 Manchurian brush
Overlander BRG 24K hardened gold razor
Wizamet (1)
My usual post shave skin treatment listed above.

How was the shave. hmmmmm It's going to be hard to quantify since I wasn't feel well. The Overlander struggled with 3 days growth old man whiskers... or did it? It could have just been me. The end results were excellent but it took me quite a few passes to get my chin and Van Dyke areas smooth. The razor itself never drags or gives me pause due to aggressiveness. The only thing is... it was more of a struggle than a relaxing shave. I think that's because of the 3 days growth. The Blutt BR-1 1.0 and the ATT X1 AC Slant sail through 3 days growth like I'm shaving every day.... The same for the Claymore Evo.

I need to shave with the Overlander on Monday with just 2 days growth to give it another chance and hopefully I'll be feeling a bit better.
Hope you feel better. I struggled to concentrate reading about everything related to shaving in your post. I was mostly thinking about how you felt and why?
Hope you're ok Kim!

Top Bottom