What's new

What's Your Breakfast?

Breakfast sandwiches are not a thing in Thailand so we had to improvise. The bread isn’t great but makes decent toast. Cheese is a delicacy from the import grocery store and the sausage is homemade from a Jimmy Dean copycat recipe. The eggs are fantastic here and delicious with a little spring onion.
655C9470-6241-42BF-B7A1-DE350C3E2DD0.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mrs. Hippie cooked up a heroic skillet of potatoes, bacon and apples this morning.

Probably along about this time next week I'll be hungry again.

O.H.

Reactions: ctr

Old Hippie

Mrs. Hippie requested waffles. At the moment that's Sourdough Discard Waffles. I've been refreshing the cultures lately so I had a couple cups of mixed discard (white and rye starters).

2c. discard
4 eggs
1/2 c. buckwheat flour plus a little more if it seems thin
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. honey

Beat all that together and yeah, it's eggy. Then, just before starting to cook them, whisk a couple pinches of baking soda into the batter. If it ain't bubbling up, whisk in another pinch. Carefully; it is possible to have a volcanic reaction which is part of the fun of making these waffles.

I heat up a Griswold American No. 8 waffle iron over medium heat, and use nonstick spray. This makes enough for us to have one or two, plus a few to freeze for Turkey and Waffles later in the week.

O.H.

Reactions: ctr

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Mrs. Hippie cooked up a heroic skillet of potatoes, bacon and apples this morning.

Probably along about this time next week I'll be hungry again.

O.H.
I need to buy some potatoes on the way home- the wife picked up some flour tortillas. Nothing like frying potatoes with onions and some hot sauce then slapping them in a warm tortilla. Makes for a nice cheap (and tasty) meal.

Old Hippie

I need to buy some potatoes on the way home- the wife picked up some flour tortillas. Nothing like frying potatoes with onions and some hot sauce then slapping them in a warm tortilla. Makes for a nice cheap (and tasty) meal.

When I'm visiting in Oregon -- which I haven't done since the pandemic, but hoping -- I always stop at Aiberto's in Salem for a "Burro Oregon," the "Oregon Burrito." Not sure why it's "Oregon" but it's darn tasty. Basically an order of Carne Asada Fries in a large tortilla with cheese and salsa fresca. Rigoberto's in Corvallis does the same thing, only not quite as elegantly.

I think my personal best is nine of them in a week. :)

O.H.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When I'm visiting in Oregon -- which I haven't done since the pandemic, but hoping -- I always stop at Aiberto's in Salem for a "Burro Oregon," the "Oregon Burrito." Not sure why it's "Oregon" but it's darn tasty. Basically an order of Carne Asada Fries in a large tortilla with cheese and salsa fresca. Rigoberto's in Corvallis does the same thing, only not quite as elegantly.

I think my personal best is nine of them in a week. :)

O.H.
Sounds pretty good.

Old Hippie

This morning was a hippie breakfast for sure. Homemade granola over cherries and saskatoons from our orchard (anna banana), with homemade yogurt. And my usual big mug of coffee!

I was helping Mrs. Hippie get ready to make granola this afternoon -- cutting up dried fruits while she did other prep. I think tomorrow is a granola day -- and it takes all day but then we have about six months of granola in the freezer.

O.H.

Top Bottom