What's new

Tatara Masamune vs Feather AS-D2

I recently expressed new interest (in another thread) in the Tatara Masamune in another thread and have looked online for one. My only reason is it's incredible design (and I like the story of the three guys who made it. I got a PM from a guy here who has a set for sale but he was too proud of his price. I think it's on BST but he put it there without saying anything about my offer so I won't do business with him but for someone who wants the whole package, the photos looked good. I just don't want one that badly. The AS-D2 remains a dream razor for me even after seven years. But it ain't the looker that Tatara is!

Reactions: tm3
I ordered one from Maggard (Tatara Masamune) and it should get here next week. While I will obviously compare it to my AS-D2, I just finally gave in to the design of the Tatara and suspect it'll work fine for me.

I ordered one from Maggard (Tatara Masamune) and it should get here next week. While I will obviously compare it to my AS-D2, I just finally gave in to the design of the Tatara and suspect it'll work fine for me.
One thought that just occurred to me is that we are comparing really top notch razors against one another. In most cases one will have to give up one feature/strength in order to gain another whether it styling, a grippy handle, mildness, effectiveness, etc.

Looking forward to your review.

One thought that just occurred to me is that we are comparing really top notch razors against one another. In most cases one will have to give up one feature/strength in order to gain another whether it styling, a grippy handle, mildness, effectiveness, etc.

Looking forward to your review.
Other than the fact that the Masamune and AS-D2 are in the same ballpark pricewise and are both considered to be milder than aggressive razors, the seem to be very much unalike. The AS-D2 is said to be a marine grade MIM stainless steel with pretty traditional styling. The Masamune is said to be CNC solid 316 (?) stainless steel and as modern a look as can be. People love to do shootouts, comparos, etc. I think it's more fun to compare a razor to itself. In other words, let it stand on its own merits. That's me though and I'm probably in the minority here. I see topics like "______ beats everything in my den!", "The ______ is the razor to rule them all!!", and similar, what I consider to be, nonsense.

Bottom line, I hope I don't compare the Masamune to the AS-D2 but rather discuss its merits, pros, and cons in and of itself. Guess we'll find out in a couple weeks once it's here and I've had a chance to shave with it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I liked them both, but the AS-D2 has a much narrower effective angle.
Oops, it arrived today and I used it today. I posted a shave of the day in the General Shaving discussion sub-forum which gives my initial impressions. Bottom line, it gives an equally good shave as the AS-D2 but they are nothing alike in design and feel. I'm in love with both!

Inaugural Masamune shave

No they are not. The Masume has more blade feel and need a bit more respect. I found the Masmune to be the equal of my Blackbird in efficiency, with a milder feel.

No they are not. The Masume has more blade feel and need a bit more respect. I found the Masmune to be the equal of my Blackbird in efficiency, with a milder feel.
OK. Not my experience but this is B&B...

Now, with the second shave done, I think I agree with you after all. Never used a Blackbird but I have used the AS-D2 for 7 years. Today's Masamune shave was great but I tried to think about the shave itself a bit more and I believe you stated it correctly - the Masamune does have a bit more blade feel and you need to exercise a little more caution vs. flying around with the AS-D2. End result is the same - no irritation, very close shave (Feather blade #2 today). But they really operate very differently even though they get you to the same result - an irritation free BBS shave (my standard as a daily shaver). I am loving the Masamune. While I should never say never, I doubt I'll buy additional plates, stands, handles from Tatara. The basic Masamune does exactly what I'd hoped. If anything, the AS-D2 and Masamune are complimentary to each other. I now have two desert island razors with Feather blades being the choice for each.

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
OK. Not my experience but this is B&B...
Very true. Two people can experience widely different results. We all have skin that has different tolerances to what it puts up with and whiskers that grow at different angles and are softer or harder, etc.

For the same reason many enjoy the R41 with something like a Derby and I insist on a much sharper blade in the R41.

The key is to find what works for YOU.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Now, with the second shave done, I think I agree with you after all. Never used a Blackbird but I have used the AS-D2 for 7 years. Today's Masamune shave was great but I tried to think about the shave itself a bit more and I believe you stated it correctly - the Masamune does have a bit more blade feel and you need to exercise a little more caution vs. flying around with the AS-D2. End result is the same - no irritation, very close shave (Feather blade #2 today). But they really operate very differently even though they get you to the same result - an irritation free BBS shave (my standard as a daily shaver). I am loving the Masamune. While I should never say never, I doubt I'll buy additional plates, stands, handles from Tatara. The basic Masamune does exactly what I'd hoped. If anything, the AS-D2 and Masamune are complimentary to each other. I now have two desert island razors with Feather blades being the choice for each.
Had not seen this reply before my last, but your last was correct. There is a large YMMV effect at work. That you agree with my now probably says we have similar skin and beards more than I am right. I'm perfectly OK with that. I want folks to get THEIR best shave.

At the momement I'm rotatiing a Henson ++, One Blade Genesis, Fatip OC, Gillette Heritage. I can find things I love and don't love about each. The Henson is picky on the lather consistency. The Heritage requires extra work to get close enough. The Fatip is the best with the right soap but can also leave me feeling micro derm abrasioned. The One Blade never fails to deliver but comes in at a higher cost per shave because of the blades.

You must get the matching stands and bowl and brush and cork thing. Omg I wish Feather made those. My spouse is like omg with the stuff.

I absolutely love both these razors. I don't have a favorite. Maybe Tatara, but idk. I sure live collecting the accessories. That's a pluss.
I hope they both make a single edge.

You must get the matching stands and bowl and brush and cork thing. Omg I wish Feather made those. My spouse is like omg with the stuff.
I appreciate your enthusiasm! For me though, the stand, bowl, brush, etc. would be pretty pointless as I don't use single razor stands, have a bowl I like already, and the brush would be (talking about the knot) a near duplicate of the Semogue boar I already own (SOC Taj).

I appreciate your enthusiasm! For me though, the stand, bowl, brush, etc. would be pretty pointless as I don't use single razor stands, have a bowl I like already, and the brush would be (talking about the knot) a near duplicate of the Semogue boar I already own (SOC Taj).
I understand. I am totally collecting this hobby differently. YMMV. These two razors with their stants are art. I also love the accessories and I don't already own a fancy brush and didn't have a bowl. I think I picked the perfect two razors.

And just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!
I hear ya. My brass Yates w/H plate really cooled my RAD…for a minute. Now I’m looking at the Tatara w/Nodachi baseplate, the RazoRock Hawk SS, and a couple of others from Blackland.

Top Bottom