What's new

Classic Lighters

Got a classic lighter preference? Let us know. I know cigar and pipe lighters are somewhat specialized. Mine are all basically intended for cigarettes, but they work pretty well on cigars. I've started to collect lighters from the early to mid-century (20th), both table and pocket, wick type as well as butane. I have some Ronsons, Dunhills, Cygnus Penguins and a S. T. Dupont clone. I really like the look and feel of my Dunhills.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Got a classic lighter preference? Let us know. I know cigar and pipe lighters are somewhat specialized. Mine are all basically intended for cigarettes, but they work pretty well on cigars. I've started to collect lighters from the early to mid-century (20th), both table and pocket, wick type as well as butane. I have some Ronsons, Dunhills, Cygnus Penguins and a S. T. Dupont clone. I really like the look and feel of my Dunhills.
Check out the Nimrod, a fun, unusual design!

IMG_20220406_091137112.jpg

903658-1209c86696e0eb83bb196b278e486390.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Zippo pipe lighter a year ago when I was in Birmingham. Where I was staying, I had to smoke outdoors, and matches wouldn't cut it. I've used the Zippo only occasionally since then. Too likely I'll scorch the rim of my pipe bowl, unless it already is a dark sandblast.

I have matches and a couple Zippos. But 19 of 20 times in using a simple cheap Bic lighter. And that had yet to not work for me. I like the looks of those classic lighters. One day I'll have a trench lighter to try. But I'll bet a tin of Eight State Burley when I have that classic Corona or trench lighter I'll still use a Bic most times.

These days I am an occasional pipe smoker and recently picked an "old boy" type lighter by Peterson. It takes a bit to get used to flicking the wheel but works great and has a nifty old-world charm. I have been looking for a reliable "permanent match." They don't seem to be available anymore, at least not one from a known quality vendor.

I used to love that first hit with a Zippo.... mmmmm kerosene.... <eg> I still have my Camel Cash Zippo...
Yes, love the scent of a wick type lighter, no matter what the fuel. My uncle on the farm used to go over to the gas barrels and fill his Zippo with gasoline. Worked fine, I guess. Butane lighters took away that scent, but relieved us of some of the mess of wick and fuel lighters.

My daily drivers are a Dupont Ligne 2 with pipe nozzle and an IMCO G55R

Kinda prefer the IMCO
Dupont Ligne 2 -- Classy with the great "ping" sound. My "Dupont" is unfortunately a cheap Chinese copy, but it has the "ping", and works so well -- definitely not up to the jewel-like construction detail of a real S.T. Dupont, though.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Dupont Ligne 2 -- Classy with the great "ping" sound. My "Dupont" is unfortunately a cheap Chinese copy, but it has the "ping", and works so well -- definitely not up to the jewel-like construction detail of a real S.T. Dupont, though.

itts nice, but a waste of money. Using the Dupont branded butane was killing me too. Bought a brass adapter for canister butane off of ebay, and have used the lighter much more since. But, tell you something when im reaching for my plastic IMCO. there was a time too when i was only using matches.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I looked at that recently as well. Can you buy an empty Zippo shell or a complete butane lighter?

i coulld be wrong, but i think it is suppose to replace a pre existing wicker. You could email zippo and see if they could swap out the current system for one and buy from them

i coulld be wrong, but i think it is suppose to replace a pre existing wicker. You could email zippo and see if they could swap out the current system for one and buy from them
That’s what I though. I have only briefly looked on Amazon though. Thanks!

Top Bottom