What's new

Essential Gillettes

I would say don't bother with vintage Gillettes, modern razors are soooo much better. (Thereby leaving more in the wild for me to potentially find):lol:

But seriously, and I'm just another echo in here, everyone should have a Tech. There's a reason Gillette made them for so many years. And the Slim is one of the best razors ever made.
I now own a couple of CNC'd SS razors and they don't shave any better than a clean Tech but they look nicer being machined instead of stamped. When I read about $300+ razors and how much better they are than a good vintage Gillette, well... ;)

If somebody asked me, "What is an essential Gillette razor that I should have?"

And my response would be, "Welcome To The Gillette 195 Adjustable AKA The Fatboy!"

proxy.php

(1) A high quality vintage razor made by Gillette that made an ace razor that people love
(2) Adjustable design with tactile click feedback dial, settings 1 through 9
(3) Literally the smoothest shaving razor that I've ever used
(4) Easy blade change ability due to the TTO butterfly design mechanism
(5) Easy to grip handle due to the superb knurling
(6) Can shave off 1-day or several day course whisker growth

CONCLUSION: IMHO, a razor that literally everybody should own at least 1 in their razor arsenal. I'd almost go as far as saying that this razor is perfection for your shave den, and if you don't have one, you are seriously missing out. I have a full review on this razor, this is a super simplified version. But I gave this razor a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!
Any suggestions where a guy might find one of these and the ballpark price he'd expect to pay? Thanks
Sully

Any suggestions where a guy might find one of these and the ballpark price he'd expect to pay? Thanks
Sully
DapperStudioCC on Etsy is a terrific seller who, IMO, understates condition and prices his razors fairly. A non-collectible (meaning just the razor, no original box, etc.) 195/Slim in very nice condition, needing nothing, should sell in the $50-90 range. I paid $60 for an excellent 1963 Slim a couple months ago from DapperStudioCC it is in just terrific, original condition with all plating intact and shiny.

DapperStudioCC on Etsy is a terrific seller who, IMO, understates condition and prices his razors fairly. A non-collectible (meaning just the razor, no original box, etc.) 195/Slim in very nice condition, needing nothing, should sell in the $50-90 range. I paid $60 for an excellent 1963 Slim a couple months ago from DapperStudioCC it is in just terrific, original condition with all plating intact and shiny.
Hey thanks for the quick response -- and the info. I'll check that out.

were you recommending the 195 "fatboy" (original post) or the Slim?

were you recommending the 195 "fatboy" (original post) or the Slim?
I can't recommend either as I don't know you or your needs. Some people prefer the Slim because the head is smaller than the 195 so it can get into tighter spots like under your nose. Some like the longer thinner handle. I like both but if I could have only one, I'd likely choose the Slim for its smaller head. To me, they shave about the same.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Sully

Hello Sully!

CCS provided you some good advice I think, because there are sellers on Etsy who sell razors.

I however bought my razor from the B&B BST, I did it by putting in a WTB post, and someone got back to me, made a deal, and thats how I got my Fatboy. Thats about the only success I've had using the BST, but it worked out for me.

Additionally, I have heard people tell me I need to get a Gillette SLIM adjustable, which was Gillette's successor to the original 195 Fatboy. But I simply don't have the funds to buy, so, I put the breaks on doing that lol.

Good luck Sully!

Isn’t the difference in the Gillette Super Speeds just handle weight - the red tip being heaviest? The adjustables allow gap adjustment, which isn’t going to be the same as different weights. That’s my understanding anyway, but I’m no expert and I’m happy to be corrected about the variations in Super Speed models.
No. The super speeds changed over the years, the head gradually got thinner/lower profile over the decades. They also gradually got milder.

The British versions are a tad more aggressive, and a bit higher quality than the American versions in general fit, finish, and plating.

There's more differences than those, but those are the major differences.

Edit: Unless it is a red tip or blue tip, one Super Speed is much like another. The biggest variation in feel between all the years of Super Speed production is approximately the difference between switching from 3 to 3 1/2 on a Gillette adjustable.

Isn’t the difference in the Gillette Super Speeds just handle weight - the red tip being heaviest? The adjustables allow gap adjustment, which isn’t going to be the same as different weights. That’s my understanding anyway, but I’m no expert and I’m happy to be corrected about the variations in Super Speed models.

Yes, basically the weight and the handle are the main differences, but all Gillette adjustables shave a bit different. I find the Fatboy to be the mildest and the Toggle and 109 Super Adjustable to be the most efficient, while the Slim is somewhere in the middle. The head of the Fatboy is also a bit thicker than.

Hi,

I settled on these:

Old Type (Thin, but also had a Thick and it didn't matter. Since the Thin was my Grandfather's, that is the one I kept)
New Improved
New Short Comb
New Long Comb
1934 Aristocrat (the first TTO)
Pre War Tech (was my Dad's which he gave me when I was 15)
SuperSpeed (which my Mom gave my Dad for Christmas in 1948)
Post War Tech (was what my Dad was using at the end)

That's a pretty good list. And I like the New SC better than the New LC.

Stan

The post-war Tech would be my first choice because they’re easy to find, affordable and mild. The late 40s Superspeeds would be a good option too, especially if someone wants a TTO option.

Relatively new at this. I have exactly one vintage Gillette, a nice New Long Comb, which I love. (Other razors are Rockwell 6S, which I like a lot, and Pearl Flexi, which I like.)

So I'm on the way toward more vintage Gillettes. I've decided I just love straightforward, three-piece razors. Not inclined toward twist-to-open or adjustable, at least at the moment. So I guess a Tech is next for me?

Good question. Reading the question as written "If someone came up to [me]" implies irl. So I'd take them to a couple different antique stores and let them pick out their favorite three. The best razor for anyone is the one they like best. The ones they're going to learn best are the ones they keep reaching for. I'm fairly certain that a SuperSpeed of some variety will be purchased. They're too available, too varied, and too affordable not to have one. They're a great razor for someone dipping their toes in the wet shaving waters. A Tech of some sort would probably be selected for the same reason.

Yes, some razors are better than others. Some work better with hands of different experience. But there aren't too many truly bad examples of vintage Gillette razors out there, and those that are seen to be more exceptions than the rule. If he thinks that old slant is the bees knees (or dog's bollocks in metric), he will learn it quick enough. He won't realize he's setting himself up. It'll be like learning to drive on a stick shift, he'll never realize the learning curve because there's no frame of reference.

Hello Sully!

CCS provided you some good advice I think, because there are sellers on Etsy who sell razors.

I however bought my razor from the B&B BST, I did it by putting in a WTB post, and someone got back to me, made a deal, and thats how I got my Fatboy. Thats about the only success I've had using the BST, but it worked out for me.

Additionally, I have heard people tell me I need to get a Gillette SLIM adjustable, which was Gillette's successor to the original 195 Fatboy. But I simply don't have the funds to buy, so, I put the breaks on doing that lol.

Good luck Sully!
Thanks for seconding CCS and for the suggestion SWCT!

Top Bottom