What's new

Pinaud Classic Vanilla - not so good

I have never purchased a Pinaud product that I can recall. But having read mostly good reviews of their Classic Vanilla aftershave, I bought a bottle from an ebay seller with free shipping and returns. The bottle arrived today and it was packed up for return about 15 minutes later. To me, the scent was vile and cheap smelling, and sorry to say, almost nauseating. I read something here not long ago that suggested decanting Pinaud products into glass bottles. I don't think that was the issue, rather the scent profile. I almost tossed it rather than returning it considering the seller is paying shipping both ways (kind of a dick move on my part) but part of the reason I took the chance was the seller's free returns including, 'I just don't like it.' Think I'd better stick to what I know or can smell in person.

Great advise when buying a new scent. I learned this lesson the hard way with ToBS products. The seller's cost of doing business online, so I wouldn't sweat the shipping return costs.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about some things you actually like.

:cuppa:
I've posted countless times on things I like. Far more often than things I don't. Feel free to ignore me if you don't want to read my opinions when I don't like something but your criticism in unnecessary and inaccurate.

True. Pinaud gets a great deal of praise, but not across all of their offerings.
Case in point, and probably the most debated, Lilac Vegetal. I for one, would never purchase it. Another being Special Reserve which isn't held in high regard.
And, the one you purchased, Classic Vanilla, one that I have used, and I thought it not to be that great as well.

Clubman and Virgin Island Bay Rum are the two that get the most face time (pun intended) here at B&B

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nope. The brand is banished from my life! But there are guys around here who think Brut and Mennan are great scents. Not to me.
If you don't like Brut, you probably won't like Clubman.
It's not identical but it's in the same Brut/Canoe family.
I like Canoe and Brut and Clubman, but I'm with you on the Vanilla. It's on the medicinal side to me and it's just not appealing.
The Pinaud Bay Rum makes you smell like you fell into the office party punch bowl.
Very very clove like. Not for me either.
But...
Don't take my word for it, I love Lilac Vegetal.

I am nit a Pinaud fan. I have tried Clubman and Whisky woods. Just not for me. I will get around to trying the Veg. I just have to know if I am one of the chosen.

I've noticed that like the first pour of a bottle of whiskey sometimes the initial splash of an aftershave upon opening can be very intense, and some of the notes are overly pronounced. It will balance out fairly quickly. But if you really didn't like it the first time, you probably won't like it even after it mellows a bit.

Nope. The brand is banished from my life! But there are guys around here who think Brut and Mennan are great scents. Not to me.
Agreed. Clubman is a great intro to Pinaud and it goes downhill from there. And I can’t stand Clubman.

The Veg for an example. No idea why anyone would like that scent. Just not my thing, but many love the stuff.

Agreed. Clubman is a great intro to Pinaud and it goes downhill from there. And I can’t stand Clubman.

The Veg for an example. No idea why anyone would like that scent. Just not my thing, but many love the stuff.
It's why no one should take anybody's recommendation of anything on this site (or other enthusiast sites) without being prepared to be disappointed. I only buy things from places that have easy returns at little to no cost to me. I know what I like and what I don't but to expect a stranger on the internet to have the same likes and dislikes as I do is folly. I don't believe I've recommended anything here but might be enthusiastic about the products I like (or don't). This company's products are the perfect example of YMMV as is Arko, MWH, new bootique small batch razors, blades, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves, etc.

Yeah one has to try for themselves

I have the vanilla and I love to hate it :)
I try it some and growing to like it ONCE it dries down and until then which is maybe 10 min its not then its OK but when I have others I love the whole time I ask WHY ?
but yeah its a odd one and I can say wont rebuy it

the bay rum wife says NO WAY for me I a not sure wont rebuy
the vanilla and bay rum IMHO is better but again I LOVE others

I am at the point I tend to want to just use things I LOVE and not waste time with those I do not but being cheap I want to use it up hahaaahha

do want to try eldorado mix but thinking if those scents it takes to make I am thinking maybe that is not my scent for me

OH the Special reserve I also got a NO GO big time

now the regular or whatever it is Pinaud Clubman I do like and its why I got the others

the stuff is so cheap so no worries but like college a lot of wasted money on courses we did not want to take ! life is to short for things we do not love though :)

I've posted countless times on things I like. Far more often than things I don't. Feel free to ignore me if you don't want to read my opinions when I don't like something but your criticism in unnecessary and inaccurate.
That was a joke, come on, not a criticism! :001_unsur

Top Bottom