What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 28, 90.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Al Handle, KCG #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Third shave with the open comb .68, in the Roedeer - @Balin Game EX-changer. Got a comfortable near-BBS.

So far, this is looking like a good candidate for seven days a week. (I'd hoped the open comb .84 would be, but gave myself cumulative irritation using that one ATG.)

That looks like a nice handle, Balin.

I enjoyed my Rockwells (the 6S was 118g), but later I thought the perfectly made thin caps and thin baseplates, plus the precise CNCed design of the Game Changers were a "Rockwell Killer".

It (eventually) beat the Rockwell for me, and yet they still send them out with those self-sabotaging handles (Bulldog handle alone, 73g) that could do service as boat-anchors.
I am glad the .68 OC is working out for you!! I prefer lighter razors in the 60-80g range. With the RR Barber Pole handle the .84 is 99g and with the thin it is only 69g.

30/31 GRUMER, day29
Tabactober
Shave of the Week Society (SWS) posting day

PXL_20221029_125656442.jpg

Pre-shave: reading updates on B&B and 2 cups of coffee.
Feather AS-D2
Feather Platinum (8)
Zenith 21mm boar
Tallow Tabac

Hey Guys
Thanks for all the nice replies yesterday. Kathy and I had a wonderful day celebrating our 5th anniversary.

Since this is the weekly posting day for SWS members, I am going to go with the Feather razor. On November 1st I am going to do a "No Shave Day" in honor of @hopper_64 and his efforts to spread the message about cancer awareness. A new soap and change of avatar will also occur the first of the month.

Todays shave was very good. I have struggled from the beginning with the Feather razor. I did get good results more-so riding the bar. The Zenith brush is not as stiff and has less backbone than my other boars...and for me as mostly a painter and dabber, I like it a lot.
Its raining and chilly this morning so I'm getting out a flannel shirt; Fall is a special time of the year!

View attachment 1547338

Still in.

First shave on the reknotted Kent blk8, I kept the original knot depth, and it's the floppy-ness that I associate with these brushes (although not quite as floppy as the bk4). It's been through two washes (castille soap and zingari brush cleaner), and got rid of a bit of badger funk. Knot was already very useable/nice out of the gate and blooms nicely. Handle is wonderfully comfortable to hold, kinda thought that the blk8 would be a bigger on the face? But this is very nice. I'll get a shot of the 4 and 8 side by side next time. Does anybody have a 12 to look at?
I mean the “12” is a massive 31mm knot - 4mm greater than the “8”

At 22mm the “4” is definitely in that questionable range, though I love the splay with mine.

SOTD #21
- Still In -

Enjoy your weekend !
  • *Tabac (SOTM)
  • Simpson's Commodore x2 - Best
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Wilkinson Sword (4)
  • Kiehl’s Astringent
  • Clubman Splash
  • No Post-Shave Balm
* SWS

Still in late shave!
IMG_20221029_192253.jpg

3rd shave of the @Roedeer - Balin Game EX Changer! I think the .84 plate is a great daily shaver. I remember thinking it was too much at the time compared to the .68 but it is a great plate. It gets the job done in 2 passes. Its consistently DFS+. Tomorrow I will do a 3 pass to see if there is any irritation! I used my RR 3 band/Zenith brush today after about a 5 month hiatus and realized how good it was. It really punches above its price point!

Day 29, 93.5% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 OC, Al Handle, KCG #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

This is my fourth shave in the Roedeer- @Balin Game EX Changer. A good near-BBS, with the added luxury of SV soap.

Maybe the open comb cancels out the smaller gap, as efficiency is similar to the .84P.

I think the .84 plate is a great daily shaver. I remember thinking it was too much at the time compared to the .68 but it is a great plate.

Good to see it's working for you, Balin. When I first tried it, I also wondered if I was pushing my luck, but it settled down and felt docile after a few days.

Here’s a post (loop) about today’s shave.

We’ll, yesterday’s shave didn’t go as planned, I posted it elsewhere

Today was much better. I got the lather right, took my time, and got a DFS on my Gillette New LC with a freshly honed blade. There was a lot of chatter on the first pass (like a typical day on a New England ski slope), but on later passes it was smooth as silk (like skiing anywhere else). Nice rebound, and much more enjoyable!
It was a big improvement over yesterday! I shook all the water out of my brush and relied on the water I dribbled on the soap for producing face lather. After that first pass I either dipped the tips in water or rubbed water on my face for getting a thin slick lather. I snagged yesterday’s cut, but didn’t get much blood. I think that any loose or bumpy skin is more likely to get caught in an OC than a tech like razor. Otherwise the OC doesn’t seem as scary as they look. Not as scary as bats and witches hats, anyway! 🤭

I'm out!

My favorite soap maker, Mike's Natural Soaps finally got some soaps up on the website and I couldn't resist. I picked up some Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper and Barbershop, two great scents.

I had not bought anything in months but I'll pick myself up and enjoy the November GRUME.

I'm out!

My favorite soap maker, Mike's Natural Soaps finally got some soaps up on the website and I couldn't resist. I picked up some Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper and Barbershop, two great scents.

I had not bought anything in months but I'll pick myself up and enjoy the November GRUME.
Strategic restocking! Have you over all used up more than you ordered now?

Still in but no shave today.
No November GRUME thread up yet ?
Hi Doti - there sure is:

I'm out!

Heard good things about this soap but living in 🇬🇧 difficult if nigh on impossible as Mike only ships CONUS. Never Mind though as I do actually have more than enough soapbb my as it is

Hi Doti - there sure is:

Now that’s sorted I can rest easy 🤣🤣🤣

I'm out!

I think you should still be in, there should be an exception clause for cases like this. Mike’s products are so very hit and miss, so restock days are usually a mismatch for desired purchases. (I had a discussion with @FoolishMortal about this in June and he seemed to be sympathetic.) I watched for two weeks while I was out in September, and all Mike’s had was two (to me) undesirable choices. I finally gave up ordered them at the end of the month. And then within two days, you guessed it, my favorites were back in stock. I don’t blame Mike, he runs a small business and is apparently a one man operation or very low staffed. And who knows, maybe the Lime and Honeysuckle soaps I purchased will turn out to be very good!

Last edited:
Top Bottom