What's new

How good (or bad) do we have it right now?

20-30 years ago, I still had a few Gillettes from before then. Other than trying the Trac II, Gillette's first real attempt to kill of DE shaving, it's been DE or some unhappy periods with electrics during times of my career years.
At least it was never a problem to buy DE blades for those old razors. And I don’t think we will have a problem for the foreseeable future. I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to the shavers in certain huge markets like India who never accepted cartridge razors.

At least it was never a problem to buy DE blades for those old razors. And I don’t think we will have a problem for the foreseeable future. I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to the shavers in certain huge markets like India who never accepted cartridge razors.
At my age and with the blade stash I have and the average of how many shaves I get per blade, I'll have enough blades until I'm 90 or dead. Which ever comes first...

Reactions: OB1

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have to laugh at myself because I posted in this thread in August where I mentioned I had 10 razors in total. Suddenly, I now have 16. Thanks B&B.
enablersrus.png

You're welcome. I've added 7 razors to my rotation in the same time.
~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had one AC razor when I got here on March 1st.... kept using that until August... I now have 14 razors..... when the latest two I purchased arrive. The 37C was ordered ten days ago. It hasn't made it out of the UK yet. The Lambda Athena gets shipped out on Monday. I hope it takes the less scenic route.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I had one AC razor when I got here on March 1st.... kept using that until August... I now have 14 razors..... when the latest two I purchased arrive. The 37C was ordered ten days ago. It hasn't made it out of the UK yet. The Lambda Athena gets shipped out on Monday. I hope it takes the less scenic route.
I have around 60 razors at last count, 10 are straights. We good.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have around 60 razors at last count, 10 are straights. We good.

~doug~
I'll take a look at the new RazoRock slant when it is released.. and will definitely buy the 72OC base plate. Both are in production now and should be ready for shipment later in November. Other than that, I don't have much on my "must have" list. I feel very fortunate to have found B&B. Sure, I'm buying some gear along the way, but I don't seem to be making any mistakes. I still don't know if I'll love all the recent razor additions, but the ones I've used so far have been stellar.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'll take a look at the new RazoRock slant when it is released.. and will definitely buy the 72OC base plate. Both are in production now and should be ready for shipment later in November. Other than that, I don't have much on my "must have" list. I feel very fortunate to have found B&B. Sure, I'm buying some gear along the way, but I don't seem to be making any mistakes. I still don't know if I'll love all the recent razor additions, but the ones I've used so far have been stellar.
I need to re-visit my Lupo 95SB, as it hasn't got much love since I got my WR2 0.95. The Lupo 95SB feels more like the WR2 1.15 to me, which I found a bit too much. I have even given the thought of adding a 72SB baseplate, but some say the 95 is smoother.
I really would like a TTO open comb also, but in the meantime I have plenty of razors to keep me company.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I need to re-visit my Lupo 95SB, as it hasn't got much love since I got my WR2 0.95. The Lupo 95SB feels more like the WR2 1.15 to me, which I found a bit too much. I have even given the thought of adding a 72SB baseplate, but some say the 95 is smoother.
I really would like a TTO open comb also, but in the meantime I have plenty of razors to keep me company.

~doug~
I think a Wolfman and/or a Sailor would be too much of a strain on my mind.... the idea that there is nothing that can compete with them that is less expensive seems foreign to me at this point. That said, after I test all the razors I have, if I find I don't enjoy them, I will be able to sell some of them off to fund either one.

I can't even believe the cost of the some of my recent additions as it is.... $200-$300. Even some of my "vintage" Gillettes.. once you factor in the replating by BRG + shipping they ended up pretty expensive.

It's late... and I'm thinking in font.. sorry for the rambling rant.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I can't even believe the cost of the some of my recent additions as it is.... $200-$300. Even some of my "vintage" Gillettes.. once you factor in the replating by BRG + shipping they ended up pretty expensive.
The Rocnel Elite is $285
I think a Wolfman and/or a Sailor would be too much of a strain on my mind.... the idea that there is nothing that can compete with them that is less expensive seems foreign to me at this point.
My WR2 was $275, granted without a handle, but I find Wolfman handles too heavy for me anyway. I thought long and hard before putting my name on the waiting list, but the smile my WR2 puts on my face when using it is worth it to ME.

Have I found my WR2 to be the "End All" razor, the one that stops my RAD? No. I love using it, and I also love using my Filament, almost as much. And I haven't tried my AS-D2 yet, or my Goodwill... or my Blue Tip.....

Wait, where is my Filament? Oh yeah, my daughter took it. I need to get another one. Maybe that will stop my RAD.

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Rocnel Elite is $285

My WR2 was $275, granted without a handle, but I find Wolfman handles too heavy for me anyway. I thought long and hard before putting my name on the waiting list, but the smile my WR2 puts on my face when using it is worth it to ME.

Have I found my WR2 to be the "End All" razor, the one that stops my RAD? No. I love using it, and I also love using my Filament, almost as much. And I haven't tried my AS-D2 yet, or my Goodwill... or my Blue Tip.....

Wait, where is my Filament? Oh yeah, my daughter took it. I need to get another one. Maybe that will stop my RAD.

~doug~
The Elite does look interesting.... but I just ordered a Lamda Athena... just a bit less than the Elite. and I need to try that Filament... it's in the queue. ;)

The thing that I don't like about some of the top end razors.. they cover the razor blade tabs which is a great look... but the end of the cap ends up pretty far from the end of the razor blade. I have a few whiskers that grow right next to the outer edge of my nose and that makes them difficult to shave. I noticed it on my Overlander. The Lupo has that cut away for that reason, yet still covers the blade tabs. At first, I was annoyed that the Blutt BR-1 didn't cover the tabs... but now, I see that as an advantage, for me, at least. As always, YMMV. The Athena covers the tabs too... hmmmmm.

Anyway, I might end up owning a Wolfman head one day, but if I ordered one, I'm not sure I could resist that Darwin Handle... and/or the Rocnel Elite.... you never know. <eg>

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@Phoenixkh

I know how you feel! Some of these razors can get crazy expensive! My Timeless TI95 razor starts at 225 dollars, but thats not what I paid in total for the razor.

Timeless TI95 starting price $225.00

(1) Smooth Top Cap = No Price Increase
(2) Scalloped Base Plate = $15.00
(3) Custom Engraving = $25.00
(4) Blade Gap .095 = No Price Increase
(5) Crown Handle = $5.00
(6) Polished finish = $50.00
(7) With Stand = $40.00

My total was $360.00

So whats the conclusion? Hot dam can titanium get expensive, but it feels so good when I shave with it! So, whats the moral of the story? Do you need to spend 360 dollars on a razor? NOPE! But is it a really nice razor to shave with and look at if you do? YEP!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh

I know how you feel! Some of these razors can get crazy expensive! My Timeless TI95 razor starts at 225 dollars, but thats not what I paid in total for the razor.

Timeless TI95 starting price $225.00

(1) Smooth Top Cap = No Price Increase
(2) Scalloped Base Plate = $15.00
(3) Custom Engraving = $25.00
(4) Blade Gap .095 = No Price Increase
(5) Crown Handle = $5.00
(6) Polished finish = $50.00
(7) With Stand = $40.00

My total was $360.00

So whats the conclusion? Hot dam can titanium get expensive, but it feels so good when I shave with it! So, whats the moral of the story? Do you need to spend 360 dollars on a razor? NOPE! But is it a really nice razor to shave with and look at if you do? YEP!
I have 4 Timeless Ti Crown handles. LOL.... They are permanently holding various razor heads....

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have 4 Timeless Ti Crown handles. LOL.... They are permanently holding various razor heads....

WOW! 😲 Dude!

The Timeless Crown handles go for $60.00 dollars separately. So, that means you've spent a total of $240.00 dollars to acquire 4-handles. Well, this just means that you have an appreciation for the finer arts as I do, and thus you know what is good, and your a guy who knows what he wants. ;)

I don't know what was like ''back then'', since I wasn't even born when a lot of folks here were shaving. My guess is that things were much more simple back then and most people were using caned goo and shaving creams and not many were using brushes. Back then people probably cared how the aftershave smells and I doubt many people were addicted to these kinda of stuff before the late 90's.

Now is no longer just about getting a shave, but getting THE best shaving experience possible with the best razor and blade combo and also with the most satisfying brush and the best soap with the nicest scent ever. For most of us, this is not a chore that we have to go through with resentment, but with excitement and joy.

How long will that last? I don't know, but with enough time, everything dissolves and vanishes. Nothing lasts forever, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm not sure I could resist that Darwin Handle
Same here.
WOW! 😲 Dude!

The Timeless Crown handles go for $60.00 dollars separately. So, that means you've spent a total of $240.00 dollars to acquire 4-handles. Well, this just means that you have an appreciation for the finer arts as I do, and thus you know what is good, and your a guy who knows what he wants. ;)
Hey, I bought a Sherline lathe so I could make and modify my own handles at home....
20220510_155734.jpg

~doug~

I spent many years shaving with Gillette razors without even thinking of there must be something better. When I looked into this place 10-12 years ago, EJ and Merkur seemed to be where much discussion was on newly manufactured razors and a bought an EJ DE89. But I still kept shaving with razors I'd had for years and stopped coming here. Fast forward to now and guys are talking about razors with plates and handles that cost $200-800!!! And if you're not part of that little group, you have no idea what all the names and numbers mean.

After almost three months here, while I did add a Masamune and Muhle R95 and three old Gillette open combs, I still don't get the interest in very simple tools that cost hundreds of dollars vs. dozens of dollars like the Masamune or AS-D2. I think the world of wet shaving has left me behind! I'm also not convinced that just because a razor is made of titanium and CNC'd, no matter how much the acolytes talk it up, one isn't really getting a better shave with one vs. something that costs far less. I get the wanting nice things part, I have high end watches, for example, but they don't tell time better than my lesser watches. They're just fun to own and play with (well, until it's time for servicing).

Maybe I should go get a cup of coffee... ;)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I spent many years shaving with Gillette razors without even thinking of there must be something better. When I looked into this place 10-12 years ago, EJ and Merkur seemed to be where much discussion was on newly manufactured razors and a bought an EJ DE89. But I still kept shaving with razors I'd had for years and stopped coming here. Fast forward to now and guys are talking about razors with plates and handles that cost $200-800!!! And if you're not part of that little group, you have no idea what all the names and numbers mean.

After almost three months here, while I did add a Masamune and Muhle R95 and three old Gillette open combs, I still don't get the interest in very simple tools that cost hundreds of dollars vs. dozens of dollars like the Masamune or AS-D2. I think the world of wet shaving has left me behind! I'm also not convinced that just because a razor is made of titanium and CNC'd, no matter how much the acolytes talk it up, one isn't really getting a better shave with one vs. something that costs far less. I get the wanting nice things part, I have high end watches, for example, but they don't tell time better than my lesser watches. They're just fun to own and play with (well, until it's time for servicing).

Maybe I should go get a cup of coffee... ;)
Coffee is always a good choice.... you have me wondering.. should I have another Yeti full?

Top Bottom