What's new

Straight Razor Shaving and Aftershave Sting Problem

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For well over a year now my aftershave splash has been a Dickinson's witch hazel and Wala bay rum mixed at 1:4. This slash would give me a pleasant sting to my freshly shaved face.

My straight razor shaving routine has not changed for a few years and includes three passes; WTG, XTG+CdM and a final XTG in opposite direction. I expect that my technique has improved but now so slowly that I hardly notice. Over the past few months my aftershave sting has been decreasing to where it is now basically nonexistent.

What can I do (other than drawing blood) the get back that invigorating after-shave sting?

What can I do (other than drawing blood) the get back that invigorating after-shave sting?
Possibly add a menthol crystal(s). I would recommend 1% by weight to start with.

That's what I do and it works for me. If you give it a shot and find it works for you, you can always up the sting/chill by adding more crystals... but always do it by weight so you have a reference point. (You'll need accurate scales.)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
sting means you did some damage to skin on your face :) I go for no sting at all :)
I already have no sting at all now with SR shaving. I always had sting with every other shaving method I used.

My first year or two with daily SR shaving still gave me after-shave sting. I am missing that sensation, hence this thread.

BTW I refuse to go back to shaving with carts or electric just to get the sting back. I'm addicted to SR shaving.

I already have no sting at all now with SR shaving. I always had sting with every other shaving method I used.

My first year or two with daily SR shaving still gave me after-shave sting. I am missing that sensation, hence this thread.

BTW I refuse to go back to shaving with carts or electric just to get the sting back. I'm addicted to SR shaving.
yeah my cart or electric days I avoided as much as I could as the burn was a bad burn :)

I do want to try a straight at some point might do a Feather to start as I am not sure I want to maintain a blade ? but I could see if I got into it being fine with it ( I used to be hardcore into many high end knives so not afraid just my life with kids want to have simplicity)
my espresso machine before I quit was a Elektra A3 20 amp dedicated breaker would not fit under a counter and came to me on a pallet delivery :) also had to be plumbed in both drain and water supply etc.. so was into the espresso insane and maybe that also when I get into things I go overboard so not that I wont just not sure I want to hahaaahhaaha

but do see your posts quite often that has made me curious as your passion I can tell is real !

also I think one has to try a straight at some point if they really want to know for sure what is best for them as their is no other way of knowing

I can get a non burn or as I say just the evaporating of the alcohol and that is what I love how ever I end up I know I can with a DE

read a ton last night on straights and have to say some of the hardware is also WOW looking for the collectors

Drop the witch hazel and use straight AS.

I used to use W.H. But found it was making my face greasy after an hour and wirse the next day. I loved the stuff but it didnt love me. Now i dropped the WH and only use AS after a rince of water.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You could be correct. I rarely use my alum block now but I agree. They must have a use-by date as mine (from India) stopped stinging a while ago.

ARKO also has a use-by date of seven years from manufacture. It then starts to loose its wonderful bouquet of citrus with floral undertones.

I recently got some Stirling Witch Hazel, bay rum splash. I am am not sure if I am having a reaction to some of the ingredients, but it sure does sting:) It helps if I apply it on a wet face. So maybe it is the witch Hazel concentration that sets me on fire.
I don't get any sting from other high alcohol splash.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I shaved with six passes; 2 x WTG, 2 x (XTG+CdM) and 2 x XTG in opposite direction. This gave me a very good DFS+ result. I then splashed with pure Wahl bay rum one side of my shaved face and pure Dickinson's witch hazel on the other side.

Still not even the slightest of sting!

My next thought is to buy a Bic disposable multi-blade razor when I go into town tomorrow. I can then try my normal three-pass SR shave plus a final Bic pass to see if that helps.

Exactly! BTW, this is one of the more bizarre topics I've seen here as of late.
Some of us just love the burn. Read the Snake Bite label. :wink2:

Alcoholic-ASLs_2021-11-29.jpg

Some of us just love the burn. Read the Snake Bite label. :wink2:

View attachment 1548312
YUP
Sting is like menthol or the scent or alcohol or witch hazel or balms etc...

this shaving stuff is more complicated than choosing what kinda pizza the sauce to cheese ratio and toppings :)

the good thing is whatever we love/want is available and often from many companies

myself no sting but the fact companies make stuff like that and so many like the menthol says something :)

reckon that home alone scene was so popular for a reason :)

Reactions: Cal

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think I have solved my problem. Yesterday while in town, at great expense I purchased a Bic Hybrid 3 Comfort cartridge razor. It cost almost as much as I pay for a good straight razor!

IMG_20221101_072832.jpg

This morning I shaved as normal with a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 off a diamond pasted balsa strop, Chinese synthetic brush and Palmolive stick. Three passes; WTG, XTG+CdM and XTG in the opposite direction. Rinsed my face and applied my normal after-shave splash. No sting.

I then re-lathered and using this marvel of modern technology, the Bic, I did a very light single WTG pass. There were no whiskers cut or harmed in any way trying this Bic solution.

After the Bic pass I rinsed my face and splashed on some more of my aftershave. Success! A lovely sting over all of my face.

Sorry BST watchers, I am going to keep this Bic razor and use it occasionally whenever I have a sting craving. I will report back here later with how many stings I can get out of one cartridge.

You could try a final pass with an abrasive, like quick scratch off a skin file. It should scrape the skin enough for you to feel the sting. Orrr get a cheap as chips Poundland type aftershave where it's more paintstripper than scent.

Failing that you could always try some hydrochloric but I'm guessing that's not quite the sting you want lol

Top Bottom