What's new

Do 3 piece razors have less blade chatter than TTO's?

I'm the learning noob here on B&B. A lot of what I've picked up and repeated, is stuff I've read on here on B&B. Hence, I repeated the term 'blade chatter' which I've read others talk about on B&B thinking it was a commonly experienced and understood phenomena. Before a couple months ago, I had never even heard of blade chatter, let alone know what it means. If I'm using the term incorrectly, or using the wrong term, then just set me straight.

I feel like the child repeating words I hear my parents say, but I have no idea what they mean.

So, to try and explain purely from my perspective, it just seems like my TTO / adjustable razors don't feel as comfortable as my 2/3 piece razors. Exactly why that is, I don't know, I'm simply speculating and trying to put into understandable words what I *think* might be going on, but I may be out in left field. Whether it's blade movement, flexing, wobbling or whatever you want to call it, I was guessing that may somehow be a contributing factor.

Maybe it's all in my head and I just need to understand that because they are somewhat differently designed tools, that I just need to learn how to use them differently and that would solve the problem. Or, maybe I just need to not worry about it and shave with my 3 piece razors because those are the ones that seem to fit my style the best and I'm more comfortable with them.

:cool: Just chillin'
Out of about 16 razors now, all but 5 are 3-piece. While most razors shave differently from each other depending on about a zillion things, whatever this blade chatter is that a few people seem to experience or worry about, my 5 TTO razors seem to hold the blades just fine whether SS, Aristocrat, 195, or Slim. I don't experience this phenomena the way it's been talked about in this thread. There are likely other reasons you're not as comfortable with your TTO razors but life's too short to worry about crap like that. A lot more can go wrong with TTO and adjustable razors. Ditch them and stick to what works well for you or put them on a shelf just to have as decor (yeah, I do that). I mostly shave with my three piece razors because I like the simplicity of the design and how they work for me. Good luck.

Do three-piece DE razors have less chatter or blade instability than TTO DE razors?

Maybe sometimes. But that's highly theoretical. Knowledgeable shavers can disagree on issues like this.

Personally, I've not noticed less or more chatter or instability. But I tend to tighten all my razors "somewhat firmly" (but not to the extent that something may break!).

For me, all TTO’s sound a bit ‘tinny’ or ‘hollow’ because of the dome created by the head. Three piece razors don’t have that same affect to my ears.
Sure they do and due to a hollow head fashioned out of sheet metal, it is understanding why.

Although the sound will be different, that factor does not impact the quality of the shave itself.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Sure they do and due to a hollow head fashioned out of sheet metal, it is understanding why.

Although the sound will be different, that factor does not impact the quality of the shave itself.
I didn’t say the shave quality is impacted. But, for me, the TTO’s have ‘chatter’ (which is the subject of this thread).

The most blade chatter I get is from a RazoRock Mission 3 piece and the Merkur Futur. I have 3 TTO's: the Feather Popular, '62 Slim Adjustable, and a Schick Krona and I don't notice excessive chatter from them. I like the shaves I get from the Mission and the Futur more than those 3, probably because they are aggressive, and I must prefer that....so chatter away!

The most blade chatter I get is from a RazoRock Mission 3 piece and the Merkur Futur. I have 3 TTO's: the Feather Popular, '62 Slim Adjustable, and a Schick Krona and I don't notice excessive chatter from them. I like the shaves I get from the Mission and the Futur more than those 3, probably because they are aggressive, and I must prefer that....so chatter away!
I'm truly surprised you have blade chatter with your Merkur Futur. My Merkur Futur is "the most solid" razor I own, and I have about 60 razors.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm truly surprised you have blade chatter with your Merkur Futur. My Merkur Futur is "the most solid" razor I own, and I have about 60 razors.

Correct, I am not having any blade chatter that I have been aware of, from my Merkur Futur. The only thing I've noticed with my Futur, is it likes to really sing a tune, its called, the echos of whisker cutting through the metal alloy. Sweet sweet tune of whisker cutting perfection, yes sir! I like my Futur, it can get super aggressive though, so you gotta be careful where you set that blade aggression. But compared to my Rex Ambassador, dude, my Futur shaves smoother man. But yeah, no blade chatter here folks!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm the learning noob here on B&B. A lot of what I've picked up and repeated, is stuff I've read here on B&B. Hence, I repeated the term 'blade chatter' which I've read others talk about on B&B, thinking it was a commonly experienced and understood phenomena. Before a couple months ago, I had never even heard of blade chatter, let alone know what it means. If I'm using the term incorrectly, or using the wrong term, then just set me straight. I'm teachable, just educate me.

I feel like the child repeating words I hear my parents say, but I have no idea what they mean.

So, to try and explain purely from my perspective, it just seems like my TTO / adjustable razors don't feel as comfortable as my 2/3 piece razors. Exactly why that is, I don't know, I'm simply speculating and trying to put into understandable words what I *think* might be going on, but I may be out in left field. Whether it's blade movement, flexing, wobbling or whatever you want to call it, I was guessing that may somehow be a contributing factor.

Maybe it's all in my head and I just need to understand that because they are somewhat differently designed tools, that I just need to learn how to use them differently and that would solve the problem. Or, maybe I just need to not worry about it and shave with my 3 piece razors because those are the ones that seem to fit my style the best and I'm more comfortable with them.

:cool: Just chillin'
I reach for a 3 piece over a TTO probably 90% of the time. I personally think they hold the blade tighter.

And don't feel bad about being new. Everyone has been new. And honestly, a bunch of us "olds" shoulda never made it this far! Lol, we THINK we know more than we actually do!

Maybe 'chatter' isn't the right word. Just seems like there's more tugging due to blade flexing or some such phenomena. Perhaps something else going on.

Your definition, blade flexing,
is the one that I know as Blade Chatter.

My Goodwill has a large gap and a lot of blade exposure,
but the sound and feel of it
reminds me of a very thinly ground straight razor,
which I like.
I don't have a problem with it.

Reading this thread made think that a lot of folks don't close their razors all the way.

which I like.

Reading this thread made think that a lot of folks don't close their razors all the way.
It wouldn't be surprising. Seems like more than a few that buy vintage adjustables don't know about the locking half turn.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason

which I like.

I'm always paranoid about getting the razor doors completely closed and keep checking periodically throughout the shave, to make sure the twist knob hasn't wiggled loose or something. In regards to tightening screws, nuts, etc in general. I've been known to strip threads by overtightening (didn't know my own strength I guess), so I'm trying to be cautious about not causing such mischief with my razors as well.

For now, I'm happy with spending more time shaving with my 3 piece razors and mostly looking at the vintage Gillette TTO's, as someone else suggested.

Last edited:
According to Gillette, it's a half turn. At least it was when these razor were originally sold:

proxy.php

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I suspect that these different threads mentioning chatter are all because of some unusual issue. A damaged razor, or the blade not tightened, or not enough lubrication, or a strange shave angle or maybe even some self fulfilling prophecy stuff due to our tendency here to repeat what others say.
On a properly working TTO razor, tighten up a blade, then try to flex the edge of a blade with something. It takes a LOT more force than dragging it across your face to get the blade to flex.
And that is what chatter is, the blade catching, flexing and releasing over and over rapidly in a stroke.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Ok, last night I tried my Gillette Fat Boy again and got a smooth comfortable shave on setting #5 with Persona Platinum blade.

During the day I gave the razor several hot baths with dish soap, just to try and remove any gunk or debris from internal mechanisms that may be causing stickiness. When I loaded the razor blade, I carefully twisted the door closure knob until it seemed to hit a 'soft' stop, for lack of a better term, then I continued to twist harder against stiffer resistance until I hit a 'hard' stop, where I could turn no further. I don't know if it was the half-turn specified for locking, but it wasn't very far, so that's probably about what it was.

When shaving, I didn't perceive any whisker tugging or blade movement as I did on earlier shaves reported at the beginning of this thread. I still need to test a few more times to confirm performance will remain consistently better, but it seems this may have solved my problem.

Apparently, in my fear of breaking something by twisting too hard, I was just twisting knob to the 'soft' stop and not going any further, so then the closure and blade clamping was not in a fully 'locked' state, thus leading to looseness or movement of the blade during shaving.

I really have broken a lot of things (not razors) in the past with my brute strength of over-tightening, so that was the source of my hesitance to get too aggressive with tightening TTO knob. My dad used to say: "that kid could break a sledge-hammer with an iron handle" about me, so something I'm famous for I guess. :letterk1:

Thank you to @CCS, @luvmysuper and others who provided guidance and helped me resolve this issue. :)

Top Bottom