What's new

Muhle STF XL - It is that good!

I own, and have owned, many different synthetic brushes. I tried a couple of "higher end" Simpsons synthetics (Duke and Chubby) and the Simpsons Trafalgar, but my favorites have been rather inexpensive brushes from Yaqi, PAA, Turn-N-Shave and RazoRock. While I have always wondered about the famed Muhle STF, I just figured it couldn't be worth the premium price. Eventually, of course, I just had to try one. I found a very good deal on a new 25mm STF ($58 delivered from Ireland). Six days later it arrived, and I couldn't wait to give it a try. Since I had already shaved today, this wasn't a full test. Following the instructions that came with it, I first washed it out and then created a test lather. I decided to face lather even though I wasn't going to shave again today.

This brush really lives up to its reputation. No other synthetic that I have used behaves as much like a badger brush as the Muhle STF. No lather flinging, plenty of backbone but very soft tips. Flow through is excellent. After the disappoinment with the Simpsons Platinum brushes, I have to say that I was expecting to be disappointed again. But this brush is truly in a league of its own among synthetics that I have tried. I know that there are some other new synthetic brushes that are getting rave reviews (G5's with various letters from a couple of different sources), but I think I'll be content with my Muhle 25mm STF.

Yup :)

11D2C399-16FF-4C4A-80A5-BAA0DED659D0.jpeg

For those of you getting an STF knot in an RV handle. I assume he supplies the knots as well as the handle? I just got my first STF in the form of the Muhle Rocca Birch. It's an absolute stunner and the knot is very nice but I'm not sure yet if the knot is really all the much better than the knot in my Trafalgar T2. The knot size on the Rocca is 21mm so I wonder if the raves are for the bigger STF knots?

What makes the larger knot better? I do like their olive wood handles.
I have a beard and you would think a smaller brush makes sense with less skin to shave. But, I just like the way a larger brush makes lather and how it feels on my face. I can apply lather just as easy and accurately with a larger knot as I can with a smaller one.
Also, I think this Muhle brush would be described as medium to large by other manufacturers.

Last edited:
The knot size on the Rocca is 21mm so I wonder if the raves are for the bigger STF knots?
Like you @CCS , I got the Muhle Birch Bark razor but I had read reviews that Muhle STF brushes run on the smallish size compared to other companies. I have known for months that I now like larger brushes, mostly fan shaped. This new Muhle brush is now the best bulb shape I own. I also like the taller height of the knot.

Like you @CCS , I got the Muhle Birch Bark razor but I had read reviews that Muhle STF brushes run on the smallish size compared to other companies. I have known for months that I now like larger brushes, mostly fan shaped. This new Muhle brush is now the best bulb shape I own. I also like the taller height of the knot.
I ask because I have brushes like the Kent BK8 silvertip badger which is a 23mm knot size and huge for me because of the tall fan shaped loft, the 24mm Trafalgar T2 which works well due to its shorter loft, and the Rocca is 21mm as is my EJ Super badger. Then I also have a Wee Scot! I honestly can't figure out what works best for me but I seem to gravitate towards my smaller brushes more often than my larger ones so your comment piqued my curiosity.

I ask because I have brushes like the Kent BK8 silvertip badger which is a 23mm knot size and huge for me because of the tall fan shaped loft, the 24mm Trafalgar T2 which works well due to its shorter loft, and the Rocca is 21mm as is my EJ Super badger. Then I also have a Wee Scot! I honestly can't figure out what works best for me but I seem to gravitate towards my smaller brushes more often than my larger ones so your comment piqued my curiosity.
My 26mm Yaqi Moka Express (badger) blooms so huge that it covers half of my face yet the 25mm STF is soft and still compact. I also have the 19mm STF as a travel brush - wet it looks poor and sparse but it lathers without any issues.

025669AA-0DCD-4667-9F76-F7EBF7AAE6D8.jpeg

I just used the Rocca a little bit ago and like my other synthetic brushes (all two of them) it loads and lathers great and quickly besides. Maybe I'll try one of the 25mm knots from Muhle at some point but as it stands, I already have about 6-7 brushes too many. ;)

A word of caution for anyone in the U.S. considering the Muhle X-Large Olive STF brush...

I initially ordered from Amazon. Twice, they sent me the wrong brush---the same wrong brush each time.
I ended up ordering directly from Muhle and got it in about 6 days plus they give a $5.00 coupon when you subscribe to their newsletter. It ended up being cheaper than Amazon.

A word of caution for anyone in the U.S. considering the Muhle X-Large Olive STF brush...

I initially ordered from Amazon. Twice, they sent me the wrong brush---the same wrong brush each time.
I ended up ordering directly from Muhle and got it in about 6 days plus they give a $5.00 coupon when you subscribe to their newsletter. It ended up being cheaper than Amazon.
Amazon is NOT the place to buy Muhle products IMO. Their web descriptions are so wrong so often that I think you're better buying from Europe or any of out Muhle dealers in the States. I've had good luck and fair to incredible pricing from muhleshaving.com and shaving.ie in that order.

Top Bottom