What's new

Texas Newbie Checking In

Good Afternoon B&B. I've been reading a lot on here for a while now, so I figured I'd actually hop in. Back in August I got back into wetshaving with a DE. I used to not shave my face because I would get the traditional razor burn and ingrowns from the cartridge razors. I tried all the latest and greatest in the mainstream shaving market and nothing helped. I know you've heard this thousands of times, but no matter what I did I always ended up with ingrowns and/or extremely dry and itchy skin on my neck. I have pretty course hairs that grow in several different directions on my neck, but I can actually go ATG with a 6 blade cart with whatever canned goop on my face and have no irritation there. I've thought about laser removal on my neck but never actually pursued it.

Anyway, my solution to all that was to stop trying to shave in college and would just trim to stubble with a trimmer. Then sometime after college when I was around 23 I wanted to try shaving again, so I got the latest and greatest from the mainstream and had the same old results. That's when I somehow heard about wetshaving, so I went down to Walmart and bought the Van Der Hagen set with boar brush, soap, and the TTO razor. I didn't read much into it, just what the package told me. It went okay (I had no idea what I was doing), but still had irritation, so I hung it up again and returned to stubble.

Then this year I tried to join the Air Force (ultimately DQ'd on medical), so I knew I needed to find a way to shave. Came across the WickedEdge group on Reddit, which led me to buy the Leisureguy book on wetshaving, and Badger & Blade. That, of course, introduced me to how I can actually get a good shave. From there I bought a starter kit from Stirling with their open comb head and synthetic brush. I now shave 2 to 4 times a week and have some good shaves and some not so good shaves. It's only been a few months, but I can finally enjoy shaving.

Sorry for the novel, but I really appreciate everything the wetshaving community has to offer.

Welcome to Badger and Blade! It sounds like things are starting to get better now that you are wet shaving with the kit from Stirling.

Patience is key when you are first getting started. Improve your technique and pay attention to what you are doing right and what you needing improvement with. Make some adjustments and in time, your shaves will improve.

Don't be afraid to ask questions if needed 👍

Welcome to the best community on the internet. Sounds like you are off to a great start! Be sure to check out the Blade Exchange and all the "post your soap/razor/kit for the day" threads, tons of great ideas and inspiration there.
Thanks everyone! And I just ran across that today and it really is what prompted me to make the account. I'm getting 2 or 3 good shaves out of Astras right now, so I'll likely stick with those for awhile until I'm a little more consistent then I'll start checking out some more blades. I also have a Baili 3 piece on the way from AliExpress and I'm hoping to use that when I only have 1 day of growth and the open comb for when I have a few days' worth of growth.

Top Bottom