What's new

Am I The Only Person On B&B Who Finds The Scent Of Tabac Nauseating?

I really don't understand how ANYBODY could have any problems with the scent of Tabac. It smells like soap. That's it. It isn't a particularly pleasurable scent, but it doesn't smell particularly objectionable--like poop--either. When I asked my friend's wife what she thought of the scent, her only comment was, "Neutral." I agree. It is a very "Neutral" scent.

But the performance seems quite good. Based on my research, it seems like most believe that Tabac is among the best soap sticks available. Most agree that DH Harris may be somewhat better, but at a multiple of Tabac's cost.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I don’t mind it when fresh, but if you don’t let It dry out in between uses I find it develops an odor that is find unpalatable.

I don't know who coined the phrase "Tabac smells like an old lady's purse" but it is dead on accurate. For me it's the scent that reminds me of going through my mom's purse when I was a young boy. I like it and it I reminisce about my childhood memories when using it. Since the new formula is a watered down version of that scent, I won't be buying it.

I don’t mind it when fresh, but if you don’t let It dry out in between uses I find it develops an odor that is find unpalatable.
Sort of agree, though i wouldn't say unpalatable. If you let Tabac sit long enough in the bowl the scent gets sort of stale- until you lather it up then its back to being wonderful old lady's purse.

I don't 'love' the scent of Tabac, but at this point having owned it for a long long time I just associate that scent with shaving. Now it's just an enjoyable shave experience, and because it shaves so well I have positive thoughts about the scent.

Was this the old tallow formulation or new non-tallow version? I'm recently begun using the latter and have not had that issue. Scent dissipated significantly and has remained that way.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I realize I'm bordering on shavehood blasphemy when I call this stinkbomb out for the offensive aroma it carries. Yes, scents are objective, and YMMV and all that, and the stuff makes so many top 5 lists here on the forum that I know it is much loved. That is probably for its top shelf lather and shave characteristics, granted, but that many folks would not be touting Tabac as much if they didn't get along with the scent. Eight or nine years ago, after hearing so much about it on this forum, I bought a jar from one of the online vendors. Long story short, I realized I had made a grave mistake. I went ahead and shaved with it, ONCE, but I was somewhat nauseous through the whole shave. By that time, the scent had coated my nose hairs and I had an unpleasant morning. The shave was good, but I got a good weeper once because I had a slight dry heave while the blade was in contact. I know that it is me. I have an acute sense of smell and some scents are disagreeable. I put that opened jar out in my shop hoping the scent would decant but then I couldn't use my shop. I know it's good---I know you guys love it. But is there not one of you members that find the scent of Tabac disagreeable to a fault? Come on, help a brother out.:wink2:
no

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Was this the old tallow formulation or new non-tallow version? I'm recently begun using the latter and have not had that issue. Scent dissipated significantly and has remained that way.

It’s been years ago, so it would be the tallow version.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
baby skunk's like tabac (meme) 480..png

Adult Skunk Hates Tabac. (meme).jpg
Tabac. Chin Whiskers hate the smell.480..jpg

Tabac friends warn you.jpg
Tabac.Bad.(meme).jpg

Tabac is worse.jpg

I purchased Tabac and the fancy ceramic container. In my opinion it delivered a good shave. However, as I enjoyed the post shave feeling I began to realize the lingering post shave scent was likely to have me brought to the attention of the police. Scent assault is a crime.

Even worse, I thought I would die.

Before long I took a second shower this time using strong soap, plenty of hot water, and enough time to revive. The procedure got rid of most of the smell, but not all of it. The lingering smell ruined my day but at least it didn't result in my demise as I'd feared.

The shaving soap was sent to a friend in Canada who foolishly agreed to accept the shipment. I paid extra to bribe the border guards to look the other way. My Canadian friend was advised by me and the local authorities to leave the open container outside for several years in hopes it would poison the varmints native to his location. His varmint neighbors didn't die but moved to Australia or New Zealand I forget which.

Tabac is a WMD (meme).jpg

Please, Tabac, Make a Good Smelling Soap.jpg

Does that answer your question?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
You’re not the only one who hasn’t tried it yet. I haven’t either
What interests me regarding this product is so many guys describing the scent as "old lady's purse". The soap might be terrific and it sure is popular on shaving forums but do we really want to smell like an old lady's purse while shaving? ;)

What interests me regarding this product is so many guys describing the scent as "old lady's purse". The soap might be terrific and it sure is popular on shaving forums but do we really want to smell like an old lady's purse while shaving? ;)
I think different cultures have different ideas about what a “manly” scent is. So in Germany tabac might be considered a “manly” scent where those of us who live in the US might consider it an “old woman’s purse” scent. Nothing wrong with that

I think different cultures have different ideas about what a “manly” scent is. So in Germany tabac might be considered a “manly” scent where those of us who live in the US might consider it an “old woman’s purse” scent. Nothing wrong with that
I like rose shaving creams so what do I know?

Tabac smells like carnations and geraniums, IMO. It smells floral and old fashioned. It IS old fashioned—being introduced in the 50’s. Germans consider it old fashioned as well.

To me, Tabac is the German equivalent of Old Spice.
Interesting. Next time I run out of something I'll have to see if I can buy a small amount to try it but with about 20 soaps and creams in stock, I'm not buying anything else for awhile!

I don't see why people say "Tabac smells like an old lady's purse" but then again I never went around sniffing in seniors purses, so I cannot say. :001_rolle

For me Tabac is a great product (soap, aftershave, cologne, deodorant, etc.) with a great fragrance. The soap has an amazing lather.

Top Bottom