What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was good.

10-24-22.Xi.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.JPG

I will be using this excellent X1 less for a while because I want to try out the newly arrived Vector Titanium.

10-24-22.Vector.Titanium.in Stand.New.640.JPG

I feel like an idiot for purchasing the stand as I knew I would probably not like the handle. I kinda hoped I'd be wrong, but I was right. The handle measures only 11 mm in diameter. To me, that's way way too skinny. The handle is also too long. Besides both of those problems I'm not wild about titanium handles, threads, and screws together.

I will find a better handle for the Vector. Not a problem.

AlsoSheaButter.PreshaveGear.640.JPG

10-19-22.Desire.640.JPG

For this morning's shave I used my usual gear and a perfume.

I enjoyed my new Mozingo more this time. I suspect the knot has changed slightly already. It's likely to become a favorite I suspect, but the jury's still out.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday. Shave #1 with the new Vector Titanium which arrived yesterday.

10-25-22.Vector.CanadaSS.SV.Tortoise.640.JPG

The revolutionary design of the Vector head is readily apparent. I'd thought about how to do something similar (not that I'm capable of going beyond imagining it) but I was unable to solve the problem of the screw. Blackland's solution is perfect and elegant.

Comparing this AC platform safety razor with my ATT X1 I'd say the Vector is a little more efficient. However, the Vector is also more aggressive as in more prone to biting me.

One shave is not even a mini review. I'll persist. It is possible this razor will go back to Blackland. I did not enjoy being bitten three times this morning. The bites were minor, but still...

Again, I've not given up on the razor. Not by any means.

AlsoSheaButter.PreshaveGear.640.JPG

4-23-22.Thauy.Nakht.640.JPG

The SV brush was a treat today. Talk about a nice brush!

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Besides both of those problems I'm not wild about titanium handles, threads, and screws together.
I put a bronze bushing in the 78mm titanium handle I shortened for you, Jim.
I will find a better handle for the Vector. Not a problem.
I wasn't wild about the handle that comes with the Vector either, I do like the MMOC handle I modified for it however.
20220629_090137.jpg
Of course, a GTB handle is always a good option.
One shave is not even a mini review. I'll persist. It is possible this razor will go back to Blackland. I did not enjoy being bitten three times this morning. The bites were minor, but still...
Might I suggest either a Feather Proguard or a Kai Protouch MG blade to alleviate that problem? Worked a charm for me.

~doug~

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I wasn't wild about the handle that comes with the Vector either, I do like the MMOC handle I modified for it however.
View attachment 1545562

Might I suggest either a Feather Proguard or a Kai Protouch MG blade to alleviate that problem? Worked a charm for me.

~doug~
@Chan Eil Whiskers Jim, What Doug said. Use the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade to get used to driving the Vector around your face. Then move on to the unguarded blades.

The Schick Proline P (I have a bunch of older Prolines and they fit my Ti Vector perfectly) and the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG are my favored blades.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

View attachment 1545562

~doug~

Great advice, Doug.

I'd remembered the bronze bushing (but thought it was brass) and considered it, but the handle I used is fatter and was easy to find. I have several handle options. The ones you modified for me are certainly "fat enough" for me; the 78 mm might be perfect for the Vector. I'll check it out.

All titanium handles used on titanium heads oughta have bronze bushings, don't you know.

@Chan Eil Whiskers Jim, What Doug said. Use the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade to get used to driving the Vector around your face. Then move on to the unguarded blades.

The Schick Proline P (I have a bunch of older Prolines and they fit my Ti Vector perfectly) and the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG are my favored blades.

Good advice, David.

Are there new and different Proline blades that don't fit perfectly? If so, how does one tell the difference?

It's been a long time since I used an AC blade other than a Proline. I don't know how many Prolines I have. I would very much hate to run out of the good Prolines. Buying AC blades that don't fit would be a big time bummer.

Probably I have some of the guarded AC blades - I kinda sorta recall using one once - but where are they? If I have them, they are the Proguard blades. I'll look. It's also possible I'm about out of Prolines. How many I purchased way back is not currently accessible in my memory banks. Kinda like losing your password to the crypto you purchased?

Probably I can easily enough find my razor blade stash.

1666714637168.png

Just in case I can't find my guarded blades, I just ordered these. According to one reviewer on Amazon they're milder and smoother than the Feather version (which I probably can find but maybe I can't).

They will arrive on Thursday. Perhaps by then I will have mastered the razor with a Proline.

Thank you both for the excellent advice and pointers. Interesting that you both advise a guarded blade. I've used a bunch of AC safety razors without guarded blades (never with guarded blades) which makes me think the Vector actually is more efficient and more aggressive than the others since you're both telling me the Vector needs training wheels.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Great advice, Doug.

I'd remembered the bronze bushing (but thought it was brass) and considered it, but the handle I used is fatter and was easy to find. I have several handle options. The ones you modified for me are certainly "fat enough" for me; the 78 mm might be perfect for the Vector. I'll check it out.

All titanium handles used on titanium heads oughta have bronze bushings, don't you know.

Are there new and different Proline blades that don't fit perfectly?

It's been a long time since I used an AC blade other than a Proline. I don't know how many Prolines I have. Probably I have some of the guarded AC blades - I kinda sorta recall using one once - but where are they? If I have them, they are the Proguard blades. I'll look. It's also possible I'm about out of Prolines. How many I purchased way back is not currently accessible in my memory banks. Kinda like losing your password to the crypto you purchased?

View attachment 1545617

Just in case I can't find them, I just ordered these. According to one reviewer on Amazon they're milder and smoother than the Feather version (which I probably can find but maybe I can't).

They will arrive on Thursday. Perhaps by then I will have mastered the razor with a Proline.

Thank you both for the excellent advice and pointers.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Some folks have reported issues with current Proline blades abd the Ti Vector. I've not had any issues with my stock of Prolines and the Ti Vector. Kai also makes an unguarded version of the Protouch MG that is quite good. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I finished work early, came home, and found out I was wrong.

10-25-22,ProTouchMG.CaptainTitanMild.640.JPG

Found these at home without looking hard.

Boy, I was pretty sure I had the guarded Feathers. Not to worry. These will do me just fine.

Also discovered I have a lifetime supply, an almost full box, of "old" Proline AC blades. The Prolines I know work in all my AC platform safety razors with the possible exception of the Vector. They do of course fit in the Vector.

My Vector is already loaded with a Protouch for tomorrow. It's already installed on Doug's 78 mm bronze bushing equipped titanium handle (originally from RR, but custom modified to meet my requirements, and also upgraded by Doug because he's smart enough to know what I need even if I don't).

Shout out to Doug @Rosseforp and David @never-stop-learning.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Tuesday.

Much better in terms of decreased propensity to cut or nick me. No blood. However, it seems to me this blade feeling significantly less smooth than a Proline. Not enough less smooth to abandon it, but the difference is noteworthy.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I use those blades in both my Claymore Evo and X1 with great success... but as always, YMMV. I get pretty equal shaves with both the Feather ProGuard and Kai Protouch MG. I know it doesn't make any sense since they are really intended to be used in barber razors but they work better for me than any of the AC unguarded blades I've used.

Top Bottom