What's new

I get less irritation with shavette and cartridge razor than with a DE. What does that mean?

New to B&B. I've used a shavette for 5-6 years, me and my college roommates got them because we thought they made us cool :)

Really not very good at using it at first, but after a few years off and on got used to how much pressure and angle to apply and don't find it too difficult to use except on the angles of my jaw. I really quite like using a shavette on face and throat because I would hardly rinse since all the soap builds up on one side of the blade, and also I find it extra nice to use when I go a few days without shaving - seems to cut through everything easier/with fewer passes. However, still not super easy to use on angles of jaw or chin, so for the last 1-2 years my habit has been to shave face and throat with a shavette and then go over those again across or against the grain with a cartridge razor and get the edges too. (Note - can go across the grain for another pass with the shavette, but never against the grain.)

Recently got into DE razors because everyone online says that in expert hands, a DE has a superior shave and minimal irritation. 3-4 months ago picked up some soap and a DE razor from Stirling soaps. Probably a month ago picked up a Henson. I find that shaving with a DE generates more irritation - maybe because requires more passes to get it as smooth as I'm used to? I don't know, I'm sure there's a few things it could be chalked up to - technique, lather, etc.

Am I just crazy or what am I doing wrong? What tips/advice do you have for me?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Because DE has more angles, exposures, gaps... set changes, you need to choose a design that suits you, or use different techniques to improve the effect.

From you saying ""maybe because requires more passes to get it as smooth as I'm used to"
I'm guessing that the DE you've chosen may be too mild or inefficient for you, and the gap may have to be increased.
Also consider your preference for blade aggression to decide whether to increase exposure.

Henson is often considered a mild razor, furthering this possibility.

Alternatively, switching to an open comb might also help with efficiency.

I guess if you aren’t enjoying your DE razor you probably aren’t keen to buy another DE razor to see if it is better. I think most likely the difficulty you’re having is related to learning the technique.

Learning to get the right angle, and to keep the right angle over the contours of your face takes practice, and the cartridge razor head pivots so you never needed to do that before.

Even more important is that you are certainly using too much pressure - all new DE shavers do - and you need to consciously learn to apply no pressure, and keep trying to use less and less. You can trust that the razor will shave best too when you don’t use pressure, since pressure makes your skin surface less flat and the razor less effective. It is likely the case that when you don’t have the angle right you feel you need to add pressure to make it shave better - it’s only natural - but actually you should go lighter and concentrate on the angle. The razor will cut. And you will be using too much pressure anyway. Even when you have improved this and you think you are using no pressure at all, you will actually be using WAY too much pressure still.

Good luck. It takes time and practice but I hope you can start to see improvement soon. It’s worth it as DE shaving can give you fantastic results and, with technique, good comfort too.

Because DE has more angles, exposures, gaps... set changes, you need to choose a design that suits you, or use different techniques to improve the effect.

From you saying ""maybe because requires more passes to get it as smooth as I'm used to"
I'm guessing that the DE you've chosen may be too mild or inefficient for you, and the gap may have to be increased.
Also consider your preference for blade aggression to decide whether to increase exposure.

Thanks for the reply, could be an aggressiveness issue. From reading through comments on other forums, seems more likely to be technique? so I'll keep practicing and consider trying out different razors in the future

I guess if you aren’t enjoying your DE razor you probably aren’t keen to buy another DE razor to see if it is better. I think most likely the difficulty you’re having is related to learning the technique.

Learning to get the right angle, and to keep the right angle over the contours of your face takes practice, and the cartridge razor head pivots so you never needed to do that before.

Even more important is that you are certainly using too much pressure - all new DE shavers do - and you need to consciously learn to apply no pressure, and keep trying to use less and less. You can trust that the razor will shave best too when you don’t use pressure, since pressure makes your skin surface less flat and the razor less effective. It is likely the case that when you don’t have the angle right you feel you need to add pressure to make it shave better - it’s only natural - but actually you should go lighter and concentrate on the angle. The razor will cut. And you will be using too much pressure anyway. Even when you have improved this and you think you are using no pressure at all, you will actually be using WAY too much pressure still.

Good luck. It takes time and practice but I hope you can start to see improvement soon. It’s worth it as DE shaving can give you fantastic results and, with technique, good comfort too.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. From reading through the forums, it seems very likely that I need to follow your advice - almost zero pressure and take time to zero in on the angle. Will keep practicing.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Thanks for the reply, could be an aggressiveness issue. From reading through comments on other forums, seems more likely to be technique? so I'll keep practicing and consider trying out different razors in the future
Considering that you say you've been using shavette for five or six years, I would assume that you've got a good grasp of techniques like pressure and angle, and presumably have more to do with the efficiency of Henson.

Because shavette is recognized as having the most demanding aggression, higher than DE and straight razor, it must have a lighter force and a more stable angle to drive.

I have a Henson Medium and don’t see why so many love it. It’s very inefficient for me and constantly needs rinsed out but I also don’t have a lot of shaves with it since I didn’t have much luck with it. I’ve tried an easy 20+ razors and it’s one of the worst but I keep thinking maybe someday I’ll try it again and like it.

You will get a million different responses on what razor to buy if you decide to try another one but based on my favorite and also most other peoples favorites I will recommend the Razorock Game Changer in both 68p and 84p. They are Stainless Steel and have awesome handle options (I recommend barber pole). And it’s about the cheapest SS razor out there at $55 new or $40-45 used. If you only get one head I recommend the 84p even though it’s a little more aggressive then the 68p. If you use a Shavette I don’t foresee any issues there and it’s still reasonably mild compared to many razors.

If you want a couple more options I recommend a EJ DE89 or Muhle R89 on the cheap end for $25-35 new and is fairly mild but smooth. And another good option is the Rockwell 6C for $50-60 that comes with multiple heads to adjust aggression and is a very smooth shaver but the head is quite bulky and I still think the Game Changers are superior. If $25 is too much to spend then pick up a used fat handle Gillette Tech on the bay for about $10-15 which is a great mild shaver.

Give us some updates if you decide to pick up a new razor or start getting good shaves with the Henson. And I’m glad you already got some of the best advice which is to apply no pressure and let the weight of the razor do the work. The heavier handle on the GameChanger makes this very easy.

I've only been using DE razors for a short time, but in my opinion the Henson is an odd DE razor because it seems to be designed to shave like a fixed-head cartridge razor. I tried both the + (mild) and ++ (medium) and I found them to require at least some pressure to actually cut hair, which, it seems to me, encourages a very bad DE shaving habit. And even when I used pressure and shaved with them, they were still inefficient and left behind a lot of stubble.

My guess is that the Henson is very likely not a good fit for you (it certainly wasn't for me). A more "traditional" DE razor might be better for you. There are plenty of recommendations.

I've only been using DE razors for a short time, but in my opinion the Henson is an odd DE razor because it seems to be designed to shave like a fixed-head cartridge razor. I tried both the + (mild) and ++ (medium) and I found them to require at least some pressure to actually cut hair, which, it seems to me, encourages a very bad DE shaving habit. And even when I used pressure and shaved with them, they were still inefficient and left behind a lot of stubble.

My guess is that the Henson is very likely not a good fit for you (it certainly wasn't for me). A more "traditional" DE razor might be better for you. There are plenty of recommendations.
Pretty much my exact experience as well. I’m still amazed how many people like these things but they have to be working for a lot of people or they wouldn’t get so much love right?

If these people had never tried another good razor I’d say it was an internet bandwagon thing but many of the people who like them have many high end razors. It’s the one real outlier that makes no sense to me. Maybe only people with average or thinner hair like them? Mines a little coarse, although cuts fine with pretty much every other razor I’ve tried.

Right, I find it odd as well. To each his (or her) own: If the Henson works well for you, great, but I would say it doesn't work well for everybody. Henson talks a lot about how the razor is made to precise tolerances, which is fine, but the real question is: How well does it actually shave? Does all this precision lead to better results? For a certain percentage of people (like us), the answer seems to be "no." For me the Henson + and ++ were frustrating to use because they are so inefficient. I prefer to enjoy my shaves. :)

Agreed, the most inefficient razor I’ve tried. And it still wasn’t as smooth as my favorites. And yes I used it with Nacet & Feather blades as well so it wasn’t a blade issue.

Perhaps there is some other reason why it didn’t perform for me but the fact is I have many razors that do perform very well so I find it hard to recommend this razor to anyone despite the many good reviews.

For a beginner on a budget the Gillette Tech, and 89 series razors are hard to beat. I also like the super speeds which are in the same $10-30 price range. But to me the real winner so far is the GameChanger for just a little extra.

And it doesn’t matter how precise a razor is if it’s not a good fit for you it won’t change a thing. I don’t think I’ve had a single issue yet from a razor not being machined “precise” enough. Although I will take precision if they offer it…. On a good razor design I like.

Recently got into DE razors because everyone online says that in expert hands, a DE has a superior shave and minimal irritation. 3-4 months ago picked up some soap and a DE razor from Stirling soaps. Probably a month ago picked up a Henson. I find that shaving with a DE generates more irritation - maybe because requires more passes to get it as smooth as I'm used to? I don't know, I'm sure there's a few things it could be chalked up to - technique, lather, etc.

Let's rule out the soap. There is a tiny chance your new soap might be the culprit.
But usually it's not.

Too many passes to me is a sure sign of something not right.
I can get a very decent shave in one pass with short strokes and a few touch ups.

The comments on the Henderson make sense IMHO.
If it is finicky indeed, and not really effective (or aggressive) that might be a cause of your troubles.

I also would consider the blades.
Coming from a shavette you are probably used to quite a sharp edge.
Your DE blades may be of the type that do not offer enough sharpness or rigidity.
Did you try some really sharp blades like Feathers?

As for the lather, I am sure you can make a good one.
A tip I picked up here ages ago is, 'let it sit for a while' - apply it and wait a minute before shaving.
It really makes a difference.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
New to B&B. I've used a shavette for 5-6 years, me and my college roommates got them because we thought they made us cool :)

Really not very good at using it at first, but after a few years off and on got used to how much pressure and angle to apply and don't find it too difficult to use except on the angles of my jaw. I really quite like using a shavette on face and throat because I would hardly rinse since all the soap builds up on one side of the blade, and also I find it extra nice to use when I go a few days without shaving - seems to cut through everything easier/with fewer passes. However, still not super easy to use on angles of jaw or chin, so for the last 1-2 years my habit has been to shave face and throat with a shavette and then go over those again across or against the grain with a cartridge razor and get the edges too. (Note - can go across the grain for another pass with the shavette, but never against the grain.)

I've always considered the DE to new thew worst if all worlds. I grew up with the DE and suffered all the nicks and irritation until the cart came along which I used peacefully for years, Now I only use straight razors which I've found to be the best of all worlds. But, that's just me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Let me begin with this.

Much that you read can be one of these.
  1. A shaving myth
  2. Something which might work for another gentlemen but won't work for you
  3. Misinformation or damn lies or the blind leading the blind
  4. Great advice which will help you
The real deal is you have to determine what works for your skin and your whiskers.

I've pretty much used everything - double edge, cartridges, electrics which never work on my neck, injectors, GEM/ER (very little time on that platform), straight razors, barber razors (like straights but with AC blades), and AC platform safety razors.

There are good razors out there, but which are good for you? That's the problem.

Currently I'm mostly using the ATT X1 which is an AC platform safety razor. For me, it might be the best razor I've every used. Easy to use, not aggressively prone to drawing blood, not irritating to my skin, and also able to deliver a very close shave without me doing a whole lot of work.

If you're experiencing irritation you're overdoing something. Overdoing the number of passes. Overdoing pressure. Something.

Apparently any skin stretching beyond what I do with facial contortions is too much for me.

I very hydrated later can help just about anyone. Towards that end I put together a little exercise to help myself and others learn what a hydrated lather is all about and how to make one; here is the link to the post. Some soaps are better than others, but most are good. I like a number of soaps, and am currently using Canada Shaving Soap (from Amazon) which is inexpensive when you consider how long a tub lasts. Also, I've arrived at a preshave routine with works for me.

It helped me to dump the regular use scented shaving soaps. The scents may be nice, but it's the soap itself which is important. To me, scents combined with shaving soaps tend to confuse the issue.

Much depends on your skin and whiskers. Most folks don't mention much about their skin and whiskers so how do you know if what works for them might even begin to work for you?

My skin is somewhat prone to dryness. I wouldn't say I have particularly sensitive skin, but it might be more sensitive than normal, by a smidgeon. My beard is not heavy or extra thick. I think it's average in that regard. However, I have a difficult beard map. I also have a very sensitive upper lip area which is hard to shave ATG/S-N with most razors due to their discomfort. In addition I have challenging, wiry, old man whiskers which are hard to smooth on my soul patch, chin, and upper lip.

I believe my skin does better without aftershave splashes which tend to dry skin.

Some DE blades are horrible for me. Feathers in particular feel great during the shave, but leave me with super irritated skin. I settled on Polsilver SI/Wizamet SI blades because I discovered they have the right blend of smoothness and sharpness for me. When I use a DE razor it is always loaded with a SI blade. That doesn't mean they would work for you.

Another problem revolves around how often you shave. Some guys shave once a week. Others shave every day like me. The needs of the various groups are dissimilar. A razor which is great for once a week use would be likely to not suit me.

My number one goal is a Damn Comfortable Shave. It much be comfortable during the shave, immediately after the shave, and until the next shave. I also like to get a close and long lasting shave, but comfort must come first for me. I've been pretty successful in meeting all these goals. For many months my shaves have been great.

I have no idea what you should do other than examine what you might be doing that's "too much."

Happy shaves,

Jim

+1! Tons of variables to figure out. But well worth the effort!!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Kind of late to your thread, but your OP sounds so much like me I thought I would respond anyway. I really enjoy maintaining my skill of shaving with all different types of razors. It’s why I own and use A couple favorite razors of each variety. I own and use, DE, SE, Injector, Straight, Shavette and Cartridge.

I enjoy using all of them and can get quite close and comfortable shaves with all of them. But if you backed me into a corner and forced me to pick a couple of types that I like the most?

It would be a Shavette and Cartridge the same as you; and I’ll tell you why.

I shave better with my technique with lighter razors then I do heavier razors. And while a vintage Gillette DE isn’t as heavy as many or most of the newer modern stainless steel razors, vintage DE’s are heavier then most Shavette’s and Cartridge razors.

Many beginning wet shavers who find B&B and are wanting to learn DE shaving, are given the best advice one can give to a new wet shaver. “No Pressure.”

And while that advice is great advice, I couldn’t have done it without that same great advice as a beginner myself; once we advance to be better shavers and become independent with our individual faces and techniques, many of those who were given this advice of “no pressure” naturally advance to heavier and more aggressive DE’s with wider blade gaps, because they are seeking a closer shave, by using heavy modern DE razors with wider, more aggressive blade gaps.

So while I began my journey as a new wet shaver with lighter and milder vintage DE’s and SE’s. It wasn’t long before another B&B member gifted me an older, shave ready straight razor and an offer to keep it honed, along with all the free advice one who was learning could possibly hope for.

It took me 6 months before I got my feet under me and could get consistent shaves without nicking myself here and there and I got a couple of good scars on my chin and in the corner of my mouth to prove it. :)

By the time I got independent with a straight, I was already becoming interested in picking up a Shavette. Or would think knowing how to shave with a straight would make it easy to transition to a Shavette, but not for me. It took me another 6 months learning how to guide an unguarded razor blade around my chin and under my nose. It was closer to a year before I could shave my neck against the grain without major irritation.

And again, just like you, I would do a clean up pass with a vintage Trac II cartridge and handle. :)

I didn’t start getting better technique and shaves with a Shavette until I had an epiphany one day. Instead of trying to shave against the skin in my face with “no pressure”. I started to shave above the surface of the skin on my face, while only putting cutting pressure on the whiskers instead of my face?

Is that possible? My shaves became quicker and more efficient. They still weren’t very close at first and I will still have to clean up with a cartridge, but as the days and weeks went by, My improving technique got me closer and closer to my skin, but only cutting the hairs on my face instead of scraping a razor blade across it.

Why do I tell you all of this? Because like you, I began honing my skill of knowing, when, why, where and how much to use or not use, pressure? I have found that for me, using pressure in order to get a more smoother, closer or aggressive shave, is more preferable to me, then a heavy piece of steel with a huge blade gap.

So my favorite DE? That gives me a shave quality that rivals what I know and experience when shaving with a Shavette? Is very, very light, just like my Shavette.

My best DE, is a Gillette Super Blue. For starters, it’s a very cheap razor. Cost me $4 bucks off eBay a decade ago.

It’s very light, had a very thin head and base plate and a longer plastic handle. It’s nothing to brag about in looks or fine artistic craftsmanship like these modern crazy heavy razors we see today.

But I can tell you, in the hands of someone who is skilled in using pressure and stretching while using a Shavette? You won’t find a better lightweight DE that will shave you closer then my Super Blue.

I have a modern, stainless steel DE. It sits on the shelf unused. I have several vintage DE’s and SE’s that collect dust until I’m feeling nostalgic and pick one up.

Gillette Super Blue over all other DE’s because it’s that lightweight. GEM Pushbutton over all other SE’s because it’s that lightweight. And I will take a lightweight Shavette over a heavier straight any day. I have a very nice Dovo Bismarck 6/8 I got as a gift. It’s nice to look at, but it doesn’t give me the crazy close and smooth shaves I get from my very cheap and lightweight Sanguine R5 with a half blade Wizamet SI in it.

If you get thru this wall of text, you might find you just have been trying heavier DE’s that are the opposite of the lighter Shavette’s and cartridges you get along with?
Maybe find a really light DE as well and keep using pressure for closeness of shave instead of finding a heavy DE that won’t work for your technique? :)

When you have mastered a shavette there is not allot of/if any DE razor that comes close in performance.
The Henson should be a really good razor to use for just a clean up pass after your first pass with a shavette.
I have the Henson +++. Even this plate is quite mild, but efficient in my opinion
With most traditional DE razors you just need to use light pressure and find a good angle.
The head of the Henson works a little different then some of the more traditional DE razors. The blackland blackbird shares some of the same design features as the Henson only with a more flexible blade design. With these razors it is important to use enough pressure against the curvature of the top cap. IT IS NOT DESIGNED TO RIDE THE SAFETY BAR. Engage the blade by rotating from the cap radius, and maintain that pressure. If you do the opposite the razor will not be used as the designer intended. Light pressure is still needed, so do not use it like a pivoting razor.

This is the same reason people have mixed results with the Blackbird. It is not designed to be used like a traditional German razor. Shane at Blackland even made a vidoe about it. Like the bulb shape of a Feather artist club open blade, the bulb and the razors curved part of the top cap is designed to stretch the skin.
The Henson razor performs quite differently when it is used as intended.

Kind of late to your thread, but your OP sounds so much like me I thought I would respond anyway. I really enjoy maintaining my skill of shaving with all different types of razors. It’s why I own and use A couple favorite razors of each variety. I own and use, DE, SE, Injector, Straight, Shavette and Cartridge.

I enjoy using all of them and can get quite close and comfortable shaves with all of them. But if you backed me into a corner and forced me to pick a couple of types that I like the most?

It would be a Shavette and Cartridge the same as you; and I’ll tell you why.

I shave better with my technique with lighter razors then I do heavier razors. And while a vintage Gillette DE isn’t as heavy as many or most of the newer modern stainless steel razors, vintage DE’s are heavier then most Shavette’s and Cartridge razors.

Many beginning wet shavers who find B&B and are wanting to learn DE shaving, are given the best advice one can give to a new wet shaver. “No Pressure.”

And while that advice is great advice, I couldn’t have done it without that same great advice as a beginner myself; once we advance to be better shavers and become independent with our individual faces and techniques, many of those who were given this advice of “no pressure” naturally advance to heavier and more aggressive DE’s with wider blade gaps, because they are seeking a closer shave, by using heavy modern DE razors with wider, more aggressive blade gaps.

So while I began my journey as a new wet shaver with lighter and milder vintage DE’s and SE’s. It wasn’t long before another B&B member gifted me an older, shave ready straight razor and an offer to keep it honed, along with all the free advice one who was learning could possibly hope for.

It took me 6 months before I got my feet under me and could get consistent shaves without nicking myself here and there and I got a couple of good scars on my chin and in the corner of my mouth to prove it. :)

By the time I got independent with a straight, I was already becoming interested in picking up a Shavette. Or would think knowing how to shave with a straight would make it easy to transition to a Shavette, but not for me. It took me another 6 months learning how to guide an unguarded razor blade around my chin and under my nose. It was closer to a year before I could shave my neck against the grain without major irritation.

And again, just like you, I would do a clean up pass with a vintage Trac II cartridge and handle. :)

I didn’t start getting better technique and shaves with a Shavette until I had an epiphany one day. Instead of trying to shave against the skin in my face with “no pressure”. I started to shave above the surface of the skin on my face, while only putting cutting pressure on the whiskers instead of my face?

Is that possible? My shaves became quicker and more efficient. They still weren’t very close at first and I will still have to clean up with a cartridge, but as the days and weeks went by, My improving technique got me closer and closer to my skin, but only cutting the hairs on my face instead of scraping a razor blade across it.

Why do I tell you all of this? Because like you, I began honing my skill of knowing, when, why, where and how much to use or not use, pressure? I have found that for me, using pressure in order to get a more smoother, closer or aggressive shave, is more preferable to me, then a heavy piece of steel with a huge blade gap.

So my favorite DE? That gives me a shave quality that rivals what I know and experience when shaving with a Shavette? Is very, very light, just like my Shavette.

My best DE, is a Gillette Super Blue. For starters, it’s a very cheap razor. Cost me $4 bucks off eBay a decade ago.

It’s very light, had a very thin head and base plate and a longer plastic handle. It’s nothing to brag about in looks or fine artistic craftsmanship like these modern crazy heavy razors we see today.

But I can tell you, in the hands of someone who is skilled in using pressure and stretching while using a Shavette? You won’t find a better lightweight DE that will shave you closer then my Super Blue.

I have a modern, stainless steel DE. It sits on the shelf unused. I have several vintage DE’s and SE’s that collect dust until I’m feeling nostalgic and pick one up.

Gillette Super Blue over all other DE’s because it’s that lightweight. GEM Pushbutton over all other SE’s because it’s that lightweight. And I will take a lightweight Shavette over a heavier straight any day. I have a very nice Dovo Bismarck 6/8 I got as a gift. It’s nice to look at, but it doesn’t give me the crazy close and smooth shaves I get from my very cheap and lightweight Sanguine R5 with a half blade Wizamet SI in it.

If you get thru this wall of text, you might find you just have been trying heavier DE’s that are the opposite of the lighter Shavette’s and cartridges you get along with?
Maybe find a really light DE as well and keep using pressure for closeness of shave instead of finding a heavy DE that won’t work for your technique? :)
My bakelites were my best teachers.

The Henson razor he is using is a aluminum razors. I don't think you can find anything lighter then that.

Top Bottom