What's new

Simpsons Manchurian

Yeah, I wish I had never seen the actual Simpson's website. I need to stop checking it. They tease out those really cool handles, and you just have to bite. When you say "dark jade" are you referring to "Faux Emerald"? Like this:

View attachment 1540958
Correct. My bad!

Here is my baby from a recent SOTD pic…

D3CC4E02-A6CC-4E08-83A6-75DAADD2978C.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Now I've got to look at the Polo 14 in Manchurian. That's what I get for reading this thread again.

1666459053917.png

(I'm not buying anything until I've received the upcoming plumbing bill. I'm expecting sticker shock.)

Interesting to read about how much change folks experience with Manchurians over time. My Zenith Manchurian with the copper handle is certainly the Manchurian I've used the most (of those I've purchased new). It's changed enormously. Every change has been an improvement, and it was great from the beginning.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Captain 2 Manchurian​

I have this one, and it is perfect if you are in the M6/M7/Captain handle shape.

Special Edition M6 Manchurian​

I have this also, and although I like the M6 I think the handle ergonomics aren't the best in the Simpson's line up

M7 Manchurian Badger​

Have this one too. Classic handle, great knot.

The Rover Manchurian​

Great one. I have this in Jade. I'd have the Rover in two band though, if I had the choice.

Special Edition 59 Manchurian​

Love the 59, I'd have it over a Colonel of Duke every day. Can't tell you how it works in Manchurian.

Special Edition Emperor 3 Manchurian​

Great looker! The knot is a tad too small for me though.

Eagle 3 Manchurian​

I did not know that it existed! I have the Eagle in Best from the Johnnie Gold Groupbuy and as soon as it dropped I bought the Eagle in Sovereign fibres. Love the handle!

I tend to like knots that lean toward a shorter loft knot, densely packed. Any and all suggestions and opinions welcome and appreciated.

In that case, have another look at the Captain and the Eagle!

I have an amazing Manchurian M7 that I finagled away from @Owen Bawn . Excellent brush.

I would love to have a M7 in Silvertip to go along with my Manchurian, Best and Synthetic M7s though!
Well you are in luck! They actually had a few on Simpsons website recently! First time I had seen an M7 in two band SilverTip.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have owned a 58 in Manchurian for some time but rarely if ever use it as I find it too lofty when compared to my other Simpson Manchurian brushes. The extra loft gives a softness but at the cost of backbone and scrub. Nice handle though, especially for bowl lathering. I will almost certainly sell or trade it.

20220208_164018.jpg

I have owned a 58 in Manchurian for some time but rarely if ever use it as I find it too lofty when compared to my other Simpson Manchurian brushes. The extra loft gives a softness but at the cost of backbone and scrub. Nice handle though, especially for bowl lathering. I will almost certainly sell or trade it.

View attachment 1543869
That’s a cool handle. What is it called? Some sort of marble?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That’s a cool handle. What is it called? Some sort of marble?
It is called 'faux grey marble'. It was released as a limited edition on the Simpson site in 2019. It has a 23mm knot and according to Simpson it should have a 48mm loft. Simpson are well known to play fast and loose with their measurements and this example is lofted at about 50mm which sadly does not suit me as I like a lot of scrub.

View attachment 1543869

That brush is a looker!!

Sorry that it is not performing to your expectations. :sob::sob:

It is called 'faux grey marble'. It was released as a limited edition on the Simpson site in 2019. It has a 23mm knot and according to Simpson it should have a 48mm loft. Simpson are well known to play fast and loose with their measurements and this example is lofted at about 50mm which sadly does not suit me as I like a lot of scrub.
That sucks. Especially when you spend large $$$ for a brush.

I have been lucky with my Simpson brushes, but their levels of variance are pretty crazy for a high end manufacturer.

If you haven’t tried the shavemac do1 I would def recommend it. I personally don’t think it’s as dense as my chubby 2 Manchurian but it has subjectively more backbone. I would also go with the bulb over a fan knot.

Top Bottom