What's new

Smitten With Mutton! šŸ˜

In terms of soap bases, I know there can be some die hard tallow fans while others couldnā€™t care less as long as it provided a great shave. I fell into that latter category. In my decade of wet shaving, I have used dozens of different soap bases and have always found their performance to be very subjective based on a myriad of factors. With good technique and gear I was usually able to get a great shave regardless of the base. Iā€™ve loved veggie based soaps, beef tallow, and duck fat soaps with amazing success.

But with mutton tallow, my face just responds differently. My skin seems to glow with a healthy sheen (not at all oily) and Iā€™m always left absolutely zero irritation. Iā€™ve gone back and forth between different soaps and every time I come back to mutton, there is a 10-fold positive difference in my shave results.

For my last few shaves Iā€™ve been using Stirlingā€™s Sheep and have been marveling at how much of an amazing lather it produces. Rich, dense, creamy like most other lathers, but this just has an extra special quality about it that I canā€™t quite articulate. The glide is off the charts without sacrificing density and protection. Easily my new favorite soap base and without a doubt going to be my new daily driver šŸ˜ƒšŸ‘

8514E43D-0896-4FC2-85CB-C2164AD415BF.jpeg
Ā 
I think that depends on what your skin likes.

Iā€™ve had both soaps and prefer the regular formula, the mutton is a little too rich and a little too ā€˜muttonyā€™ in scent for me.
I thought I was the only one.

Although both my sheep versions (Varen and Port-au-Prince) are strongly scented so the sheep funk is not that noticeable. But I generally only use them when the weather is cold and my skin is dry, and not every day even then.
Ā 
Stirling mutton base has a special place in my den. It was my first American artisan shave soap after over a decade using traditional British creams. It was an eye opening experience, it really changed how I think about shaving. I was already an experienced DE shaver and getting good results, but the glide and post shave feel these soaps provided was absolutely unprecedented to me. I couldnā€™t stop feeling my face all day. Now I only use North American artisan soaps. There are so many great ones out there but I always come back to Varen. A perennial favourite
52523827-32EE-450E-A5C0-35FB0C9EDDD1.jpeg
Ā 
I've only tried the Scots Pine one and hated the scent, so I guess I wasn't paying too much attention to the post shave feel. It didn't feel much different from the regular Stirling soaps to me...

Now, MWF is one that really does work for me like you describe with the mutton stuff above.
Ā 
In terms of soap bases, I know there can be some die hard tallow fans while others couldnā€™t care less as long as it provided a great shave. I fell into that latter category. In my decade of wet shaving, I have used dozens of different soap bases and have always found their performance to be very subjective based on a myriad of factors. With good technique and gear I was usually able to get a great shave regardless of the base. Iā€™ve loved veggie based soaps, beef tallow, and duck fat soaps with amazing success.

But with mutton tallow, my face just responds differently. My skin seems to glow with a healthy sheen (not at all oily) and Iā€™m always left absolutely zero irritation. Iā€™ve gone back and forth between different soaps and every time I come back to mutton, there is a 10-fold positive difference in my shave results.

For my last few shaves Iā€™ve been using Stirlingā€™s Sheep and have been marveling at how much of an amazing lather it produces. Rich, dense, creamy like most other lathers, but this just has an extra special quality about it that I canā€™t quite articulate. The glide is off the charts without sacrificing density and protection. Easily my new favorite soap base and without a doubt going to be my new daily driver šŸ˜ƒšŸ‘

View attachment 1540563

That mutton tallow is great! Iā€™ve been using Stirling Varen and Glastonbury regularly. I get that non oily sheen also, very nice. MWF with lanolin also works similarly for me.

The Stirling mutton tallow base is superb but I slightly prefer the beef tallow base more. I have the mutton tallow base in Varen (full size) and Glastonbury (sample) and I like the Varen better
Varen is the ONLY Stirling soap (so far) that I get along with beautifully. It must be the tallow base.
Don't get me wrong, the other Stirling tubs that I own are good - but I can't justify using them over Varen which I deem to be great.

I get what @Steve56 is saying though, if I use mutton too frequently I develop a touch of blemish around my chin; this holds true with MWF as well.

Have I mentioned the wonderfully rich aroma from Varen that lingers well into the day?
:001_wub:
Ā 
I received my "mutton" yesterday. First thing I noticed, when I opened the mail box, I could smell the scent!. When I opened the box, I could smell both scents but not really strong. I think being boxed up in the mail box the scent was concentrated. Last night, I opened the Glastonbury and put it into a mug for todays shave. It gave the bathroom a wonderful scent. The first thought I had was of an Antique shop that I frequent. Sort of an incense with a faint background of musty old furniture (that is a good smell to me). You will have to excuse my description of the scent but that is what hit me. This morning, I face lathered the Glastonbury and the scent was very relaxing. It has somewhat of an incense forward with a grassy background, very nice! The performance of the soap was nothing short of great. Very slick and it provided a great cushion against the blade. Granted, this was my first use of Sterling soap and mutton soap but I have to be honest, I was very impressed. Post shave was good and it paired well with Pinaud Whiskey Woods. Can't wait to try the Scots Sheep but that will have to wait a while as I have some other soap to try for the Halloween season.
Ā 

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I received my "mutton" yesterday. First thing I noticed, when I opened the mail box, I could smell the scent!. When I opened the box, I could smell both scents but not really strong. I think being boxed up in the mail box the scent was concentrated. Last night, I opened the Glastonbury and put it into a mug for todays shave. It gave the bathroom a wonderful scent. The first thought I had was of an Antique shop that I frequent. Sort of an incense with a faint background of musty old furniture (that is a good smell to me). You will have to excuse my description of the scent but that is what hit me. This morning, I face lathered the Glastonbury and the scent was very relaxing. It has somewhat of an incense forward with a grassy background, very nice! The performance of the soap was nothing short of great. Very slick and it provided a great cushion against the blade. Granted, this was my first use of Sterling soap and mutton soap but I have to be honest, I was very impressed. Post shave was good and it paired well with Pinaud Whiskey Woods. Can't wait to try the Scots Sheep but that will have to wait a while as I have some other soap to try for the Halloween season.
Nice review of one of my top 3 soap bases. Mutton is brilliant!
Ā 
The scent does tend to linger throughout the day. And thatā€™s not necessarily a bad thing at least for me
Varen in particular is quite potent, in my experience. If I use the matching splash and/or balm to finish up, the scent stays with me all day long. I consider it a good thing since it is actually one of my favourite fragrances of all. On days I donā€™t shave, I use Stirling Varen EDT. One single spray is all you need to smell great all day. I get complimented on it all the time.
Ā 
Iā€™m smutton with mitten.

By the way, has anyone tried to make shaving soap with bacon? That has to be better, hasnā€™t it? Everything with bacon is better.
I think Iā€™ve heard of maybe one or two (as a scent) but not many. On a side note Shannonā€™s Soapery on Etsy makes a good shave soap with lard
Ā 
Love the Stirling Mutton base. I actually found out about Stirling through the posts of @Hannah's Dad initially and the high praised it received from some of other vets on the board. As i lurker long before I joined, i listed to some more than others and it paid off. lol That being said, I doubled down on The Electric Sheep Glacial and its been my favorite shower soap too date. Great sickness for me and easy to work. I still really wanna try Varen though on account of the aforementioned influence. Electric sheeps scent STRONGLY reminds me of summer evenings as a young boy sitting on an old green lawn table thats flaking paint and well worn with an overly large and obnoxious all to familiar candle sitting smack dab in the middle. With all wicks ablaze on that citronella behemoth wafting about that sweet aroma in the Crisp North Dakota air as i sit patiently with my Remy 700 my father gave me eager to practice my skills on the next unexpecting (hopefully) critter that poked around out back the barn. Good times. Good soap.
Ā 
Top Bottom