What's new

Good bye for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first started to catch on to honing, and finally got that horrible Dovo Best to shave without feeling like a medieval torture device, I was delighted. My shaves were now GREAT, (relatively speaking) after years of terrible. I thought that's all there was. This was before Al Gore invented the internet. Then after that, I learned that the big giant slab of rock I picked up in a hardware store in Mexico was not the state of the art for making razors sharp, and I learned to use the Naniwa SuperStone progression. WOW... NOW my edges were even better, I could hone a razor found in the wild in an hour instead of a month, and I thought I had reached the upper limits of sharpness. But, gradually I learned to use those stones more effectively, and to be more meticulous and nuanced. NOW I got it, right? Then, there was lapping film. At first, yeah, nice. But gradually I adapted to the new medium and improved my film honing technique. Most of these improvements were suggested by others in the straight shaving community. Then I started hearing about pasted balsa for finishing. After finishing in that medium for several years now, I think I have reached the physical limits of sharpness in steel. Or have I? Probably so, but from past experience, I know that there is probably some little improvement I can make, to eke out just a teeny weeny bit more cutting power and smoothness. And nearly everything was learned, from someone else, offering advice or suggestion. Some of those well intended bits of advice didn't work for me. Some did. Some formed the basis for my own experimenting and further improvement. By the time I found this forum, I had pretty much come to realize that there is a lot of knowledge out there that I would do well to incorporate into my skill set.

I'll add that if the advice given drives away a new member because of the way it was presented, what good does that advice do really?

The OP posted. How many others felt the same and just left the site without posting?

Many of the experts here, are HERE because they have been driven away from OTHER sites for what THEY believe. You would think it would be them that are the most welcoming to others.

No matter what level of expertise someone has at something, driving off new members is unacceptable.

I'd rather lose an "expert" than the numerous new members the expert drives away.

Be careful what you wish for. Have you been to the other “Razor Forum” lately?

The last Honing post was 3 months ago to an 11-year-old post, and the one prior was almost 5 months ago to an 11-month-old post.

Recent Post are on Fencing, Sausage Making, Wordless Pictures, Birthdays, Real Estate and Fragrance of the day, on a Straight Razor Forum!

No one asks razor questions, because no one responds, they don’t even post participation numbers anymore.

So, the OP was hurt that he was told that his honing could use some work, but then he asked for help.

I was about to offer to hone one of his razors for him, so he could have a frame of reference, even had the offer typed, when he tapped out.

It’s a razor forum and there are no trophies for showing up. It’s not for everybody, honing is not easy, but it’s also not rocket science ether.

I learned long ago, no matter what you say on this and other forums, somebody will take it the wrong way, just like folks will take your post.

We can agree to disagree.

OP.

“I'm going to be brutally honest here and say that's how it felt at the time.”

“Though re-reading the thread it was not harsh at all. I don't know what more to say so I'll say no more.”

I'm a Shaving Prodigy

Alright Phil, HBB... joke's over. We all know who's been stealing Slash's paragraph breaks. Let's just share them out evenly, so everyone can be understood properly and we can all be friends. Yh?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I dont care how anybody hones. hone and shave however tf you want.
Amen. Now how some folks VOTE, that's a different story. I was just telling someone on here that's a great way to get out of buying Christmas presents, and with this economy, I am cutting back wherever I can!

My own mother is getting a lump of coal this year!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
John Boy?
No, that's Richard Thomas.

R.jpg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Home how you like, use whatever razor you like, there is no right or wrong way to shave, what works for one may not work for another. There are many people who will tell you there is only one way to do something.
At the end of the day you choose whether to listen or not. Most advice offered here is offered in a sense help and friendship. I often find my helpful advice on the scent of a certain popular shave stick being ignored by many members I consider my friends on B&B.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Home how you like, use whatever razor you like, there is no right or wrong way to shave, what works for one may not work for another. There are many people who will tell you there is only one way to do something.
At the end of the day you choose whether to listen or not. Most advice offered here is offered in a sense help and friendship. I often find my helpful advice on the scent of a certain popular shave stick being ignored by many members I consider my friends on B&B.
Yes, I consider you a friend as well my friend.

But there are some of us on here that, in MY opinion, have forgotten how to be friendly to newcomers, for whatever reason, and others, like myself, that are tolerated best in small, infrequent doses.

Knowing that about myself you'd think I would leave you good folks alone once in awhile. But alas, I try to give you fine people a respite, and I find myself inexorably drawn back in, and see that someone has found a NEW way to besmirch the character of such a fine soap as Arko, and I get triggered!

So, once again, you @Mike M have triggered me. But you are still my friend, even if you don't appreciate the subtle scent of Arko.

Yes, I consider you a friend as well my friend.

But there are some of us on here that, in MY opinion, have forgotten how to be friendly to newcomers, for whatever reason, and others, like myself, that are tolerated best in small, infrequent doses.

Knowing that about myself you'd think I would leave you good folks alone once in awhile. But alas, I try to give you fine people a respite, and I find myself inexorably drawn back in, and see that someone has found a NEW way to besmirch the character of such a fine soap as Arko, and I get triggered!

So, once again, you @Mike M have triggered me. But you are still my friend, even if you don't appreciate the subtle scent of Arko.
No community can survive without farmers.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Lol, there are those that would say I only sow discontent!

But you are korreck my friend. And Badger and Blade is a fun, fine community! I should be much quicker to sow some brotherly love, and not be angry about shtuff that won't make a difference a hundred years from now.
Back to our regular scheduled program…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom