What's new

Gillette Russian Blade Report

I have been evaluating a few Gillette Russian blades. Namely, the Silver Blue, Rubie, Platinum Dark Blue and Light Blue. I have used each blade four times. Every shave has been on 24 hours growth with a new blade. Blade longevity is not a concern since I am one and done with all blades. I used Santa Maria Novella shave cream (a gift from the gods) and my 1948-50 Gillette Aristocrat. Bottom line is that I cannot tell much difference between them. They all give smooth close shaves with no issues. My order of preference is the Platinum Light Blue, Platinum Dark Blue, Silver Blue, and Rubie.
There have been some claims that the Light Blue is the same as the old Swedes and I think there is evidence to support it. Of the blades I just mentioned, the Light Blue is the only one to have directional arrows. The old Swedes that came in the dispenser also had arrows to indicate that the blade could be loaded from either side. However, the new Light Blues are etched and not printed like the Swedes which makes them similar but not identical. Who knows for sure? Anyway I will keep a stock of Light Blues as long as I can get them. If not any of the other blades will suit me just as well.

I always wonder if they’re all the same blade in different coloured packaging. Probably not, but part of me enjoys imagining Gillette executives reading the debates on B&B and laughing their socks off when someone says Nacets are so much better than 7 O’Clock Yellows.

But I suppose they wouldn’t laugh at all. They would pick up the phone and instruct their minions to increase the price on the Nacet boxes.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I always wonder if they’re all the same blade in different coloured packaging. Probably not, but part of me enjoys imagining Gillette executives reading the debates on B&B and laughing their socks off when someone says Nacets are so much better than 7 O’Clock Yellows.
That's pretty much how I think of small craft breweries that make IPA's.
Make the nastiest, most bitter dreg you can imagine, then laugh as the hipsters write about the bouquet and mouthfeel.
I think it's a concept that transcends the product type.

Not quite as comfortable as the others.
That's likely subjective resulting from them not being very sharp. Testing has shown that they have the same resistance(going with that) to cutting as Astra SPs. We all make small adjustments when a blade is not cutting as well as our preferred blade, bigger adjustments can result in irritation. Rubies have a pretty thorough coating based on older SEM images and the price supports that. Like a few similar blades, they work great in blade forward(going with that again) razors.

Make the nastiest, most bitter dreg you can imagine, then laugh as the hipsters write about the bouquet and mouthfeel.
I think you’re right. Was at one of those places last night and they had six IPAs on tap - identical as far as I could tell. And they didn’t have Guinness - serving Guinness ought to be a mandatory condition of having an alcohol licence.

The blades you've listed are considered by many as some of the Gillette's mid tier blades, meaning that they are by no means bad, but nothing super amazing, well at least for most folks that is and if someone likes them, then good for him. If you want to try something sharper, then you should try some of their top tier blades like Nacet Stainless, Minora Stainless, Perma-Sharp Stainless (I guess the Stainless reign supreme lol) and Wizamet (or Polsilver Super Iridium if you find any old stock, but beware of the Extra Stainless, which many consider to be fakes, while some find them to be identical as the old ones).

The blades you've listed are considered by many as some of the Gillette's mid tier blades, meaning that they are by no means bad, but nothing super amazing, well at least for most folks that is and if someone likes them, then good for him. If you want to try something sharper, then you should try some of their top tier blades like Nacet Stainless, Minora Stainless, Perma-Sharp Stainless (I guess the Stainless reign supreme lol) and Wizamet (or Polsilver Super Iridium if you find any old stock, but beware of the Extra Stainless, which many consider to be fakes, while some find them to be identical as the old ones).
I have tried all the blades you have suggested and disagree that they are top tier. I look for the sweet spot between sharpness and comfort especially as a daily shaver. None of the blades you mentioned satisfy that criteria. I do appreciate your input and of course each person’s experience is their own and not universal.

I have tried all the blades you have suggested and disagree that they are top tier. I look for the sweet spot between sharpness and comfort especially as a daily shaver. None of the blades you mentioned satisfy that criteria. I do appreciate your input and of course each person’s experience is their own and not universal.

That's true, people should use what they like the most. I just thought that you haven't tried those I listed.

Sir, you may be on to something!! It is pretty much the same in the wine and spirits world!

(And sometimes I find a craft IPA that I really enjoy!!) :popc::popc:

Sir, you may be on to something!! It is pretty much the same in the wine and spirits world!

(And sometimes I find a craft IPA that I really enjoy!!) :popc::popc:
Russian River Pliny the Elder is a classic for a reason. Mmm, piny resinous hops without overdone malt package. Sierra Nevada Celebration comes close in flavour, but disappoints by being slightly soapy. Still worth picking up once a year(seasonal)!

I've never tried the Rubie. What puts it behind the others you listed?
I have felt for some time, that the GSB was a smooth, yet cost effective premium blade. I would put it about on par with the U.S. made Personna Lab Blue.

I will say that the Gillette 7 O'clock Black takes smooth to yet another level. Unfortunately, at $35 per-hundred, so does their price.

I find the Rubie to be very close to the smoothness of the Black's for practically half the price, at $20 per-hundred.

There’s a reason why IPAs taste the way they do. Back in the 1800s when the British were doing their thing in India the soldiers and administrators were wanting beer from home so it was shipped there. Only one problem. It would go bad in transit so brewers had to find a way to get it to not to spoil. So they increased the amount of alcohol and hops in the beer and IPA was created. Which I’d probably like. But what do I know. I enjoy a good imperial stout and several of the PPI offerings (including GSBs, platinum dark blue, nacet and perma-sharp golds)

Top Bottom