What's new

October 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - BBS :)
38405B66-93A6-48DD-8B60-9D968C31022C.jpeg

10-18-22
Still in.

Razor: Super Speed for the first time(thanks @luvmysuper )
Blade: Bic CP(6)
Preshave: Noxzema classic
Soap: XXX
Brush: Amici
A/S: Alum before shower, XXX splash and Nivea after shower.
Beer: Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc
Nice smooth shave, razor is more mild then I am used to and maybe used a bit too much pressure...or blade is done. Have a tiny bit of irritation but not bad.

20221019_085402.jpg

The 19th day of GRUME (30/31er)
SWS, day 5

PXL_20221019_142619834.jpg

Muhle Rocca
Astra SS (7)
Razorock "Big Bruce"
MdC Rose

Hey Guys
When I woke up this morning it was below freezing outside. That is an early cold front for my neck of the woods in North Louisiana.
Yesterday I did a "Double Feature" and posted a late night shave with the Tabactober and Tallow Tabac Tuesday clans. It was nice to enjoy Tabac and another razor.

I continue to be amazed every time I open the MdC jar. The rose scent is subtle but immediately fills the room. The Rocca performance is excellent and IMHO the Big Bruce is my nomination for the best value synthetic brush. The knot is large and a pleasure to use.

I think this is @LJBraaten LJ’s version of @lasta ’s chicken, but I fear it is still too big. LJ users a blade wrapper as blade bank. Or at least I think he does.

I also think that buying additional blades is the one thing LJ cannot get away with with his LOTH. Other gear maybe, but no blades.

Guido
LOL. When he asked the question I wasn’t sure if @Jack Goossen was referring to the new blade still in its wrapper or the blade bank behind it.

I posted a (very) little about the introduction of blade hones on the Micromatic Monday thread.

Did yours come with the leather strop and Crown hone?
I decided to go ahead and post the pictures of the pamphlet here since it may be of historical interest to some. I am intrigued with the seeming competition between the early honorable blade advocates (particularly Gem) and Gillette, who insisted on disposing spent blades. (The beginning of the disposable razor, as far as I know.) Then, as now, consumers were divided, but it seems there was a very large contingent of people who wanted to hone and strop blades, as indicated by the success of some stroppable razor systems and aftermarket (honoring and) stropping devices like Allegro and Twinplex. Eventually the disposable contingent became the clear majority.
View attachment 1542049View attachment 1542050

10-18-22
Still in.

Razor: Super Speed for the first time(thanks @luvmysuper )
Blade: Bic CP(6)
Preshave: Noxzema classic
Soap: XXX
Brush: Amici
A/S: Alum before shower, XXX splash and Nivea after shower.
Beer: Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc
Nice smooth shave, razor is more mild then I am used to and maybe used a bit too much pressure...or blade is done. Have a tiny bit of irritation but not bad.

View attachment 1541982
Been a hot minute since I last drank a Kronenbourg ... almost as long as I last work at there bottling line in Obernai

Still in

Today's shave:
brush: Stando 2-band badger
Razor: Henson AL13++
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (4)
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Pan Drwal Absinth

Wilkinson Sword is my go-to blade in any razor. It works well in Henson too, but in this razor I feel like I can go with a much sharper blades. On the next shave I will go with Nacet that was a little bit too much for me in other razors.
Today, three passes plus touchups to BBS finish. Tabac delivers as usual.

I am out and it is my wife's fault. My wife made me go to the Dollar Tree. I walked out with a razor, a brush, soap, and aftershave. Everything was $1.25. I will have a six dollar shave in the morning.

Next month I will do better. The razor looks pretty scary. The razor has a very large blade gap and positive blade exposure I might have to file 13 it. The soap appears to be an unexpected gem. A test lather looks very promising.

Attachments

• IMG_20221019_201528625.jpg
    IMG_20221019_201528625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20221019_202759882~2.jpg
    IMG_20221019_202759882~2.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 9
Day 19, 61.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Midweek SV day. Used 70th Anniversary this time, for a luxurious DFS.

Very Interesting!
Now I want one!...just kidding...kinda
Is it easy to use and effective for DE blades?
It is easy, from what little I have used it for stropping. I’m waiting for a good DE blade to show signs of dullness before I test the hone. The main thing is putting the blade in the clamp straight and not to press too hard so that the blade doesn’t move out of alignment. It would probably work with DE, but a spacer would no doubt be needed to make sure the blade stayed in place.

Top Bottom