Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (balm)

Notes:

I have to admit it was nice to take a break from OCtober with this to me new Matador Deluxe courtesy of the ever generous @Jack Goossen.

Matador is a Swedish blade brand from the 1930s-1960s (give it take) and they also made razors on the side. Matador was later on acquired by Ever Sharp which I imagine was ultimately consolidated into Gillette.

It is an all brass safety bar razor with a flat bottom base plate (top and bottom). What I particularly like about the Matador is that there is no blade overhang. The cap covers the entire blade while the baseplate has a similar design to the Karve Christopher Bradley and so blade installing is pretty easy.

I had the head paired with a fat handle at first and then decided to use multiple of my new goodies so I paired it with a Lasta Blue Handle (as they are now commonly referred to).

First pass with the Treet was a breeze. This razor is mega smooth despite the initial idea that the blade gap is somewhat huge. And I now understand why Jack really wanted me to try this razor, because like the Razorine Flatboy it sings! Wonderful audio feedback. Second pass was less comfortable and I seriously had the idea the blade already had filled on me after the first pass. ATG on the neck resulted in several weepers and irritation started to build up.

For the sake of science I switched to a Feather which saved the day. I redid the second pass and a BBS was had. The Matador takes the Feather very well. Both blades go to show that blades are mega YMMV: Jack like Treet and gets less along with Feather. I am exactly the other way around. But I have not given up on the blade just yet so we’ll see another day.

Another day in shaving paradise. A great razor that should be in everyone’s collection - [Enablers, Inc messaging included] it is amazing! @Jack Goossen - thank you again for this opportunity and razor. I would not have wanted to miss this!

5F6F06A9-931A-442A-9598-75AF6677DB00.jpeg

Last edited:
Date
365 days of shaving290/289
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober15/31 (100%)
Tabactober10/31 (87%)

Passes2.5
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATG (2)Straight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)
Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
7/10 (irritation on the neck)
8/10 (fairly smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe
Treet 7 days (1)
Feather (4)
DVH Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (balm)

Notes:

I have to admit it was nice to take a break from OCtober with this to me new Matador Deluxe courtesy of the ever generous @Jack Goossen.

Matador is a Swedish blade brand from the 1930s-1960s (give it take) and they also made razors on the side. Matador was later on acquired by Ever Sharp which I imagine was ultimately consolidated into Gillette.

It is an all brass safety bar razor with a flat bottom base plate (top and bottom). What I particularly like about the Matador is that there is no blade overhang. The cap covers the entire blade while the baseplate has a similar design to the Karve Christopher Bradley and so blade installing is pretty easy.

I had the head paired with a fat handle at first and then decided to use multiple of my new goodies so I paired it with a Lasta Blue Handle (as they are now commonly referred to).

First pass with the Treet was a breeze. This razor is mega smooth despite the initial idea that the blade gap is somewhat huge. And I now understand why Jack really wanted me to try this razor, because like the Razorine Flatboy it sings! Wonderful audio feedback. Second pass was less comfortable and I seriously had the idea the blade already had filled on me after the first pass. ATG on the neck resulted in several weepers and irritation started to build up.

For the sake of science I switched to a Feather which saved the day. I redid the second pass and a BBS was had. The Matador takes the Feather very well. Both blades go to show that blades are mega YMMV: Jack like Treet and gets less along with Feather. I am exactly the other way around. But I have not given up on the blade just yet so we’ll see another day.

Another day in shaving paradise. A great razor that should be in everyone’s collection - [Enablers, Inc messaging included] it is amazing! @Jack Goossen - thank you again for this opportunity and razor. I would not have wanted to miss this!

View attachment 1540094
A beautiful looking razor and handle for sure!😍

You are willing to do anything to get rid of that stick, right?! :lol: I’m scared after reading what was it post 528 of your journal?

Cheers,

Guido

It's not so much I dislike the smell. I can appreciate it really. Just not as a shaving soap smell.
And what's more: I've got two sticks now. The one I bought and used twice and the one we inherited after the demise of my father in law. That one will stay.

It's not so much I dislike the smell. I can appreciate it really. Just not as a shaving soap smell.
And what's more: I've got two sticks now. The one I bought and used twice and the one we inherited after the demise of my father in law. That one will stay.
O sorry to hear about your loss - my condolences brother.

Guido

B952DC74-B273-478B-B114-5322609C5C94.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving291/290
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober16/31 (97%)
Tabactober11/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8.5/10 (DFS+)
9/10 (some weepers gone during rinsing)
9/10 (buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Dorco Titan (9)Razorock Plissoft 400
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Floïd’s The Genuine (A/S)
Nivea (balm)

Notes:

Need to be at the office the coming days to provide training. What better way to have an efficient and effective shave than with the R41.

It was a smooth and comfortable shave. Some very mild irritation on the area under the chin and tiny weepers above the upper lip which disappeared during rinsing off. Combination of user error and blade mileage. I usually get 9-10 runs with a Titan so it might be on its last legs.

Everything else was just wonderful in use. The Plissoft takes no prisoners when making a lather so combined with Tabac gives you a thick rich slick lather to work with. An absolute pleasure to face lather with.

Nothing much to add really - excellent shave.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
View attachment 1540607

Date
365 days of shaving291/290
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober16/31 (97%)
Tabactober11/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8.5/10 (DFS+)
9/10 (buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Dorco Titan (9)Razorock Plissoft 400
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Nivea (balm)

Notes:

Need to be at the office the coming days to provide training. What better way to have an efficient and effective shave than with the R41.

It was a smooth and comfortable shave. Some very mild irritation on the area under the chin and tiny weepers above the upper lip which disappeared during rinsing off. Combination of user error and blade mileage. I usually get 9-10 runs with a Titan so it might be on its last legs.

Everything else was just wonderful in use. The Plissoft takes no prisoners when making a lather so combined with Tabac gives you a thick rich slick lather to work with. An absolute pleasure to face lather with.

Nothing much to add really - excellent shave.
I keep forgetting my R41 is an open comb, sorta. Guess I need to pull it out of it's box.:cuppa:

~doug~

I keep forgetting my R41 is an open comb, sorta. Guess I need to pull it out of it's box.:cuppa:

~doug~
I think you are right about the sorta - that means I can use my R41 for NOCvember as well! Good news!!

Meanwhile I have found older (French I believe it was) vintage brands that had a similar OC/SB design to the R41's current design (it used to be a Fatip Piccolo in disguise). They looked rather vicious compared to the R41 though, so I will stick with the Mühle.

Enjoy!

Guido.

5E509CCD-BB8C-42D5-8DA4-142910F98791.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving292/291
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober17/31 (97%)
Tabactober12/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8.5/10 (DFS+)
9/10 (buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat Bottom on Lasta Red handle
Nacet (1)Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Nivea (balm)

Notes:

I was going back and forth in deciding which razor to use for today - they are all excellent shavers! Finally decided on the NFB with a for me new blade kindly provided by @Jack Goossen. The Lasta Red handle is a LHF certified handle that gives you absolute control over the razor and it makes the razor nimble and predictable.

I can see why the blade has a huge following here. I felt its smoothness from the first stroke also really smooth on the neck which is usually my area where I can tell if a blade and I are going to get along with each other. Going back up (ATG) was comfortable too although I did have some blood spots around the corner of my mouth. I will put that on user error.

Lather was slightly off today. The Super Badger has become my least effective brush as it splays by just looking at it. I cannot pay with it because it was my very first brush when I got into wet shaving many many moons ago. I didn’t take sufficient time to soak the brush too, so ok. Tabac still was able to provide support. And there is something about this soap and scent. As much as my critical faculty wants to change soaps, my primitive brain takes over and I reach for Tabac. The factory has made it so that we want more and buy more; excellent business model!! :biggrin1:

Technique-wise everything was the usual. I am still in between if I should do three or two passes. Two passes gets me to BBS and there definitely does. Two passes is sometimes buttery smooth and sometimes rougher on the neck and central area. Still figuring out what to do or go for 2.5 passes with extra glide on jaw and neck.

Tabac still was able to provide support. And there is something about this soap and scent. As much as my critical faculty wants to change soaps, my primitive brain takes over and I reach for Tabac. The factory has made it so that we want more and buy more; excellent business model!! :biggrin1:

The addictive nature of Tabac has been researched for decades and is widely known. In many European countries, they have to put horrific pictures on the packaging and the producst can't be sold under the age of 45. Euro-legislation is in the making.

View attachment 1541210

Date
365 days of shaving292/291
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober17/31 (97%)
Tabactober12/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8.5/10 (DFS+)
9/10 (buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat Bottom on Lasta Red handle
Nacet (1)Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallowbac
Kox Enamel
Cold splash
Nivea (balm)

Notes:

I was going back and forth in deciding which razor to use for today - they are all excellent shavers! Finally decided on the NFB with a for me new blade kindly provided by @Jack Goossen. The Lasta Red handle is a LHF certified handle that gives you absolute control over the razor and it makes the razor nimble and predictable.

I can see why the blade has a huge following here. I felt its smoothness from the first stroke also really smooth on the neck which is usually my area where I can tell if a blade and I are going to get along with each other. Going back up (ATG) was comfortable too although I did have some blood spots around the corner of my mouth. I will put that on user error.

Lather was slightly off today. The Super Badger has become my least effective brush as it splays by just looking at it. I cannot pay with it because it was my very first brush when I got into wet shaving many many moons ago. I didn’t take sufficient time to soak the brush too, so ok. Tabac still was able to provide support. And there is something about this soap and scent. As much as my critical faculty wants to change soaps, my primitive brain takes over and I reach for Tabac. The factory has made it so that we want more and buy more; excellent business model!! :biggrin1:

Technique-wise everything was the usual. I am still in between if I should do three or two passes. Two passes gets me to BBS and there definitely does. Two passes is sometimes buttery smooth and sometimes rougher on the neck and central area. Still figuring out what to do or go for 2.5 passes with extra glide on jaw and neck.
A beauty of a razor for sure!!!!

FDE7DBD5-C304-434B-A9E7-DC77E1CAEF0E.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving293/292
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober17/31 (97%)
Tabactober12/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (one weeper gone during rinsing)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe
Nacet (2)Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Sea Citrus
Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (balm)

Notes:

Second run with the Nacet in a second use of the Matador. This razor is AMAZING - flat out, I think @Jack Goossen put one in the Sue Moore auction and my only advice is: get it!

I did not even feel the blade. I heard it cutting/singing but other than that, I could be fooled into thinking I was shaving without. Two passes and a jawline touch up was all it took to get a nice smooth and soft baby face again. Lovely.

I came to the realisation that the Nacet is my first only stainless steel blade (so no coating). Not sure if that means anything, but the post shave feel is ‘harder’ than with coated blades. Still a wonderful blade that does the job really well - super smooth.

Also a wonderful break from Tabac (I barely managed to do it) with Sea Citrus - fresh and lime my favourite flavours. Following @Ron R’s mentioning of how he lathered MWF I decided to do it similarly with Sea Citrus and smearing it across my bowl made lathering super easy! It may be a no-brainer to most, but a learning for me.

Excellent shave in the books - tomorrow: NEW Improved.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
View attachment 1541790

Date
365 days of shaving293/292
(100%)
GRUME30/31 (97% out)
OCtober17/31 (97%)
Tabactober12/31 (87%)

Passes2
WTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (one weeper gone during rinsing)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe
Nacet (2)Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Sea Citrus
Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (balm)

Notes:

Second run with the Nacet in a second use of the Matador. This razor is AMAZING - flat out, I think @Jack Goossen put one in the Sue Moore auction and my only advice is: get it!

I did not even feel the blade. I heard it cutting/singing but other than that, I could be fooled into thinking I was shaving without. Two passes and a jawline touch up was all it took to get a nice smooth and soft baby face again. Lovely.

I came to the realisation that the Nacet is my first only stainless steel blade (so no coating). Not sure if that means anything, but the post shave feel is ‘harder’ than with coated blades. Still a wonderful blade that does the job really well - super smooth.

Also a wonderful break from Tabac (I barely managed to do it) with Sea Citrus - fresh and lime my favourite flavours. Following @Ron R’s mentioning of how he lathered MWF I decided to do it similarly with Sea Citrus and smearing it across my bowl made lathering super easy! It may be a no-brainer to most, but a learning for me.

Excellent shave in the books - tomorrow: NEW Improved.
Guido,

Is it possible to characterize the Matador Deluxe... say, compare it to the British Flat Bottom Tech? I have a NEW Raised Flat Bottom but I haven't use it yet. I think the BFBT might be the only razor we have in common at the moment....

Guido,

Is it possible to characterize the Matador Deluxe... say, compare it to the British Flat Bottom Tech? I have a NEW Raised Flat Bottom but I haven't use it yet. I think the BFBT might be the only razor we have in common at the moment....
I will shave with the Tech to further substantiate my judgement, but I believe there is more blade feel with the Tech while efficiency is on par. The Matador just feels very smooth.

I believe the Deluxe is a three piece and the Razette a two piece - but Jack will probably know for sure.

Cheers,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I will shave with the Tech to further substantiate my judgement, but I believe there is more blade feel with the Tech while efficiency is on par. The Matador just feels very smooth.

I believe the Deluxe is a three piece and the Razette a two piece - but Jack will probably know for sure.

Cheers,

Guido
thx, Guido.. it looks like a three piece from the photo.. but I asked him. Perhaps the bottom section turns... you can't really tell from the photo.

Top Bottom