What's new

Tips for shaving with an open comb DE razor?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a few open comb razors I really enjoy and the Razorock SLOC is excellent for a upper mild to tame mid range for aggression. The Yaqi Flipside is another enjoyable Dual safety bar and open comb side has a tame mid range also and safety bar side is mid range combination on the fly adjustable razor sort of.
The open comb razors have the best lather to blade edge protection(it does not plow all the lather away where it is needed) for glide protection when you find the OC you like.
I think closed comb razors are the best but that is just my opinion, closed combs are stronger design and do exactly what a open comb does and are smoother. American Safety Razor (AKA =ASR razors) have a lot closed comb razors and they are smoother razors usually IMO.

View attachment 1540848
My experience with the NEW and Goodwill is that "riding the cap" I obtained excellent results. That's the way the instructions that came with the razor suggested to do.
I shaved with the New Long Comb for the first time tonight. I have always been a steep, nearly riding the safety bar, shaver, and so that's how I was shaving with the New LC--and it was terrible, pulling, dragging. I thought the blade must be shot, but I knew it wasn't. Well, I figured WTH and tried riding the cap. Presto! Not only was the dragging/pulling gone, but the shave was super close, super effortless, and I had no fear of cuts, even in my problem areas. I couldn't quite replicate the angle directly under the chin and that was a little tuggy. But all in all it was an amazing shave! Thanks for the tip!

I shaved with the New Long Comb for the first time tonight. I have always been a steep, nearly riding the safety bar, shaver, and so that's how I was shaving with the New LC--and it was terrible, pulling, dragging. I thought the blade must be shot, but I knew it wasn't. Well, I figured WTH and tried riding the cap. Presto! Not only was the dragging/pulling gone, but the shave was super close, super effortless, and I had no fear of cuts, even in my problem areas. I couldn't quite replicate the angle directly under the chin and that was a little tuggy. But all in all it was an amazing shave! Thanks for the tip!
I learned that very quickly with both the Old Type and the NEW. Once you get it sorted, they are uber fun to shave with.

You’re definitely among friends here who are only all too happy to enable…ummm….help 😀.
You have reached 1-800-ENABLERS please leave a message after the beep.

@100pctFragranceFree you definitely with a fine OC! I recently was gifted one and it is an amazing shaver. From there is a big rabbit hole obviously, but the NEW is equally smooth. I would also recommend getting a Fatip - very fine shavers with a bit of fiddling for alignment but I honestly have little issues with aligning a Fatip.

Enjoy!

Guido

If I didn't mention in this thread, I've ordered an R41 with the tortoise handle on sale at Muhle Shaving. Only $10 more than the head alone with the coupon I had. As my OC experience is limited to an Old Type SC and NEW LC, I am most curious how the R41 will perform for me. Probably be a week-10 days before it arrives.

If I didn't mention in this thread, I've ordered an R41 with the tortoise handle on sale at Muhle Shaving. Only $10 more than the head alone with the coupon I had. As my OC experience is limited to an Old Type SC and NEW LC, I am most curious how the R41 will perform for me. Probably be a week-10 days before it arrives.
We will be awaiting with bated breath as to how it performs for you.
Happy shaves, my friend!

I’m surprised you went for the R41–given your preference for mild razors. I’ll be interested in your thoughts once you’ve used it.

Top Bottom