What's new

What Makes Titanium DE & SE Razors Special?

I dunno, he makes a pretty strong argument for Ti. Kinda makes me wish that Feather would offer a AS-D2Ti. 😄

Seriously though: I am perfectly happy with the weight, efficiency, and maneuverability of my SS Vector - it's a fine and innovative razor. The Ti version may well be an improvement for some, but I can't see any real benefit in a Ti upgrade for me as the Vector is already pretty svelte. I suppose the difference between SS and Ti might be more apparent with larger razors but I am not convinced that it makes enough of a difference to pay a 30-40% premium to find out.

I think your logic is sound regarding the Vector Ti. The difference is real, but the relative performance gains are smaller than for the Blackbird because there’s less material to cut. For the Blackbird, going from SS to Ti is transformative. For the Vector, SS to Ti is a meaningful step, but not revelatory.

Not ever having shaved with a titanium razor, I really don't understand how they're more maneuverable. I mean, how hard is it to move a 3 oz razor around one's face? I'm having zero issues with the Masamune which is 3ish ounces.

You should try a titanium razor some time! It still may not be where you decide to place your money, but it’s a worthwhile experience if you can borrow one. They’re pretty fun.

You should try a titanium razor some time! It still may not be where you decide to place your money, but it’s a worthwhile experience if you can borrow one. They’re pretty fun.
Why don't you guys loan me one and I'll write an honest review. If it's as good as you say, I'll buy it. Fair enough?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I think your logic is sound regarding the Vector Ti. The difference is real, but the relative performance gains are smaller than for the Blackbird because there’s less material to cut. For the Blackbird, going from SS to Ti is transformative. For the Vector, SS to Ti is a meaningful step, but not revelatory.
I believe the real difference is not just the weight, but the heat transfer is much quicker with Ti so it does give a different feel.

~doug~

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Weight does matter.
Some occupations that write for a long time, or experts who are familiar with handwritten shorthand, will even mind the subtle difference in pen weight.

I am a graphic designer and have been trained to draw for a long time, and the weight of the pen can affect the feel of the drawing, and some professional brand pens are even specially adjusted for balance...even if the pen is usually less than three ounces.
What's more, we are putting sharp knives on sensitive skin today, and any changes in parameters will have more impact than "pen and paper".

Of course~ there are also many people who don't care or feel the difference, but what you don't see doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and others don't need to persuade you. Just be happy and enjoy your razor.

Weight does matter.
Some occupations that write for a long time, or experts who are familiar with handwritten shorthand, will even mind the subtle difference in pen weight.

I am a graphic designer and have been trained to draw for a long time, and the weight of the pen can affect the feel of the drawing, and some professional brand pens are even specially adjusted for balance...even if the pen is usually less than three ounces.
What's more, we are putting sharp knives on sensitive skin today, and any changes in parameters will have more impact than "pen and paper".

Of course~ there are also many people who don't care or feel the difference, but what you don't see doesn't mean it doesn't exist, and others don't need to persuade you. Just be happy and enjoy your razor.
That's why I'm suggesting to Blackland who said I should "borrow" a titanium razor to send me one of theirs for a review to be posted on B&B and if it's that good, I'll buy it. If not, I'll return it. FWIW, I am happy and I enjoy my razors. If the weight makes a difference, shouldn't I be their market? Show me what I've been missing?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
That's why I'm suggesting to Blackland who said I should "borrow" a titanium razor to send me one of theirs for a review to be posted on B&B and if it's that good, I'll buy it. If not, I'll return it. FWIW, I am happy and I enjoy my razors. If the weight makes a difference, shouldn't I be their market? Show me what I've been missing?
Welcome to "Titanium side of the Force".
proxy.php

Blackland has a no-questions-asked 30 day return policy and Shane positively encourages people to take advantage of it, try the razor, and send it back for a refund if you don’t wish to keep it. You’d have to pay for the razor up-front, and pay for tracked return shipping if you return it (and you have to contact them to initiate the return), but apart from that everybody can try out any of their razors risk-free.

Try that with a new car dealership. That is what you are missing.

~doug~
I'm not missing anything. He suggested I "borrow" one. So my thought is he should loan me one rather than some board member being on the hook for a loan. And, at a car dealership, I don't have to pay for the car to test drive it. This is because the guy from Blackland said I should borrow one. So let me borrow one of his. What does he have to lose?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Agree with this 100%. :)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have seen David switch out his handles on his SS Vector for a lighter feel many times. Though he is in love with his new Ti Vector. I might end up owning one eventually.... it's a bit difficult with my shaving slush fund taking a few hits lately (the Blutt BR1 with two base plates and the ATT X1 AC Slant... I love both of them, btw).

Edit: David gave me the idea of switching out handles to the Timeless Ti Crown handle. I have them on several of my razors now. For me, they really make a difference. The weight reduction moves the balance more toward the head which seems to work very well for me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have seen David switch out his handles on his SS Vector for a lighter feel many times. Though he is in love with his new Ti Vector. I might end up owning one eventually.... it's a bit difficult with my shaving slush fund taking a few hits lately (the Blutt BR1 with two base plates and the ATT X1 AC Slant... I love both of them, btw).

Edit: David gave me the idea of switching out handles to the Timeless Ti Crown handle. I have them on several of my razors now. For me, they really make a difference. The weight reduction moves the balance more toward the head which seems to work very well for me.
I absolutely love the Timeless Ti Crown handle. One day I will break down and buy one, as I lack the tooling to make one myself.

The shops that are making their own Titanium razors have some pretty serious machining equipment. I found that out from Tara at Wolfman when one of their machines went down, and she showed me a picture of the component that needed replacement. We had a few of the same exact machines in our shop, and they aren't cheap. Neither is replacing that component. :a36:

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I absolutely love the Timeless Ti Crown handle. One day I will break down and buy one, as I lack the tooling to make one myself.

The shops that are making their own Titanium razors have some pretty serious machining equipment. I found that out from Tara at Wolfman when one of their machines went down, and she showed me a picture of the component that needed replacement. We had a few of the same exact machines in our shop, and they aren't cheap. Neither is replacing that component. :a36:

~doug~
I remember that conversation you had with Tara.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I remember that conversation you had with Tara.
Yeah, you really don't want to know how much the part costs. I do. The labor cost itself isn't bad, but they have to pay the airfare and hotel arrangements for the mechanic, and that gets expensive. Some countries will also confiscate the tools at customs, so the techs have to buy new tools when they arrive, then leave them there.

I'll give you a hint, we lost around $5k a day when one of our machines went down. You pay the piper or let the machine sit. Miss a machine payment and they send a code and shut it off. It gets real. Been there many times.

~doug~

I suppose if a razor made out of stainless steel, brass, copper, bronze or whatever is good enough, then if the same razor is madeout of titanium, it could be a bit better. But if the razor isn't that good or you simply don't like the way it shaves, then even if it's made out of adamantium and forged by the Gods themselves, it wouldn't matter that much.

I've recently shaved with a Timeless .95 sb polished titanium and it was my first time shaving with a titanium razor. I'm not sure if it was from the way the razor was made or the titanium or perhaps a bit of both, but the razor felt like it was made out of plastic. It was very light, very well polished and not as cold as stainless steel. which is what I was told about titanium razors. The shave itself was good, but nothing mindblowing and I'm glad that I've tried it first before buying it.

So if you end up liking a specific razor made out of titanium the chances are that the reason you like it are not entirely because of the titanium itself.

Top Bottom