What's new

Simpsons Manchurian

I just went and brushed it with the top of my hand and drew it across my face, and it did not seem as scritchy as the first use, so I am anxious to see how it feels with tomorrows shave. This may be my first badger that actually requires some breaking in.
It will soften up a bit with about 30+ uses. You can do some palm lathers to expedite it. As the tips hook it will def help. I primarily use stiff/scrubby brushes. Here are my current 3 favorites. Soon enough I want to try the zenith manchurian and the semogue torga c5 finest.

IMG_6909.jpeg

If you want another similar type of brush, I would consider a do1 from shavemac.

It will soften up a bit with about 30+ uses. You can do some palm lathers to expedite it. As the tips hook it will def help. I primarily use stiff/scrubby brushes. Here are my current 3 favorites. Soon enough I want to try the zenith manchurian and the semogue torga c5 finest.

View attachment 1510358

If you want another similar type of brush, I would consider a do1 from shavemac.
+1
My D01 2 Band has even more backbone than the Duke D3 Manchurian but never a hint of scritch (poking of single hairs).

The Duke started out with a little bit of scritch that went away as you said.

View attachment 1510358

If you don't mind, what are the dimensions on that shavemac? And is that the D01 2 band?

If you don't mind, what are the dimensions on that shavemac? And is that the D01 2 band?
Yes, the brush to the right is the do1 2 band 26x52. The brush to the left of the chubby is the espilon 2 band brush. I recommend the epsilon as well. Very dense, soft tips and loads of backbone and I got mine brand new for $120 shipped. The epsilon required the least amount of breaking in compared to the other two.

Yes, the brush to the right is the do1 2 band 26x52. The brush to the left of the chubby is the espilon 2 band brush. I recommend the epsilon as well. Very dense, soft tips and loads of backbone and I got mine brand new for $120 shipped. The epsilon required the least amount of breaking in compared to the other two.
Bulb or Fan?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My Epsilon is my densest brush ever, denser than my D01's and any Simpson I have. It was also the only brush I ever had that stank to high heaven, but after some 10-12 hand lathers it was fine. I like this one, and you are right, very nice backbone and soft tips.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
It is really hard to compare brushes that are not similar in their sizing (knot diameter and loft) and shape. And a lot of our feeling is very subjective; what I mean here is that what one feels is a total different feel for another guy.
After reading a lot in this thread, I picked up some brushes I have and measured them.
There are two Simpson Manchurians, a Tulip 3 and a M6.
Then T3 is a fan shape, as well as the M6. The loft/knot size ratio is 2.26 (T3: 23/52)) and 2.24 (M6 21/47)).
Then I have a Zenith Manchurian, the one in the copper handle; it is 27/51 or a 1.89 ratio, also fan shape.
My D01 is in between the two, with a 23/48 or 2.08 ratio and it is also fan shaped. This one is the stiffest of the group, but not by very much, followed by the Zenith. Hair-wise, I think they are pretty much similar, the D01 is a tad thicker in the stem.
Now, I also add here my Epsilon: this is a defined bulb, 28/49 and a ratio of 1.75. This one has a ton of backbone, but it is very soft. I believe what makes the brush having a ton of back bone is the shape, a bulb.
Tomorrow I use the Zenith and then the Epsilon the day after. But, as I said, it is a subjective opinion, my own experiences with these brushes - I all like a equally. I also think my D01 has softened a bit over the 10 years it has been used, initially it was a scrubby, stiff beast.

My Epsilon is my densest brush ever, denser than my D01's and any Simpson I have. It was also the only brush I ever had that stank to high heaven, but after some 10-12 hand lathers it was fine. I like this one, and you are right, very nice backbone and soft tips.
You told me about the Epsilon on a different thread. Fantastic brush, I would pay simpson prices for it if I had to.

The rabbit hole is getting pretty deep. Picked up another one. Keep an eye on the BST, as I have to make some room.

So I received my Chubby 1 Faux Ivory Vein on Friday. Loving this one as well. Here are the shots out of the box:

981CBCB9-DBC9-4146-9514-0BDDF0472E6B.jpeg

5EE0AC50-AB37-4B75-85B4-BFA159C8669A.jpeg

And the bloom shots after the first test lather with Tabac:

0E219E81-30F6-46FC-B53D-8BBD592C5799.jpeg

AF694181-CE64-469C-AFB2-41FD595EB3B6.jpeg

Sort of digging the “Faux Vein”:

9B5B8F26-7B6A-4A62-84D2-83086DE30CC5.jpeg

I’m really enjoying the backbone of these, and the unique feel of the tips. Definitely one thing is for sure, I am not a synthetic guy, I like natural fiber. I should probably make some room in the den, but I have such a hard time selling things, but do I need a Chubby 1 and 2 in both Super and Badger?

Attachments

• 602D6F0B-DA24-4ECD-85A7-1E65E380161C.jpeg
    602D6F0B-DA24-4ECD-85A7-1E65E380161C.jpeg
    838.1 KB · Views: 8
I had the Duke 3 Manchurian and sold it, a little to much face feel for me.

I also had a SV Manchurian, and their knot is wonderful and absolutely not a Simpson’s knot.

If you really like the SV and you want a Simpson’s you should absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever go for the 2 Band Silvertip, if you like the Chubby handle just email Simpson’s and they will send you pictures of available colors.

The 2 band Silvertip will give you the softness of the Super but more backbone.

Hope that helps.

Doug

What ever handle you decide on make sure you go with the 2 band Silvertip knot

The handle is great what knot did you get?

Your persistence was maddening, so…

Thank you for your purchase. Please see your order details below.

Cart ItemsProduct CodeQtyPriceDiscountTotal (Inc VAT)
Chubby 2 Two Band Silvertip Badger Lime Swirl (Colour: Lime Swirl, )Chubby 2 Two Band Silvertip Badger Lime Swirl1£0.00£0.00£0.00

1665929134095.jpeg

I had to try the Two Band Silvertip!😂

Chubby 2 Two Band Silvertip Badger Lime Swirl (Colour: Lime Swirl, )Chubby 2 Two Band Silvertip Badger Lime Swirl1£0.00£0.00£0.00

View attachment 1540215

You will love it, great choice, if I do say so myself. 😂😂😂😂😂

View attachment 1540215

Congrats! Great colour too! Mine is the dark Jade green.

My Chubby 2 Silvertip is the best brush I own. Just amazing.

I own over 50 brushes including over 20 Simpsons alone and my Ch2 would be the last one I would ever consider getting rid of.

Use it in good health. 👍

Congrats! Great colour too! Mine is the dark Jade green.

My Chubby 2 Silvertip is the best brush I own. Just amazing.

I own over 50 brushes including over 20 Simpsons alone and my Ch2 would be the last one I would ever consider getting rid of.

Use it in good health. 👍
Yeah, I wish I had never seen the actual Simpson's website. I need to stop checking it. They tease out those really cool handles, and you just have to bite. When you say "dark jade" are you referring to "Faux Emerald"? Like this:

1666040122943.png

Top Bottom