What's new

Never an aftershave...is that weird?

Yup, I don't use them at all. I've tried alum off and on for years and it's only dried my skin out. Splashes usually burn and I then need to apply a balm after that.

The soaps and creams I tend to use on my face most often are pretty moisturizing. MWF, Kiss my Face Unscented SC, any olive oil based soap, etc. I feel like they do a good enough job without adding more stuff over it. I'm not exactly against fragrances but most of my favorite soaps are unscented or scented with a plain soapy type of scent.

On the occasional winter day I may rub on some Aveeno lotion or put some natural beard balm on but haven't used an AS splash in many years.

Anyone else in this same boat or am I the odd man out?

Alum is not considered an aftershave per se, rather a way to clean up and heal any microabrasions and rinsed off. Shaving also removes a bit of skin so using a product after your final rinse is wise. If you get a burn from an alcohol based aftershave, there's your proof of what I just said about skin removal. Some sort of restorative balm, unscented in your case and maybe with sunscreen, is a smart thing to use. But, as is a common phrase these days, you do you.

Not using a commercial fragrant aftershave is a little unusual today, but certainly not unheard of.

It would not be so unusual say 150 years ago. At that time even a daily bath was unusual. Our culture is in a constant state of progression.

However back then they might have used a few drops of olive oil or cooking oil, but fragrance was less of a consideration, even with fewer baths.

The next time I chat with a 150-year-old guy, I will try to remember to ask him about all that.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers

Never an aftershave​

whaat-huh.gif

Witch hazel at the very least!
Shaving is abrasive to one's skin and needs some type of astringent.

Wouldn't call it weird, but would say that you probably belong in a 1% group.

Yeah, I agree in a forum like this...but overall? I don't think so. Too many guys shaving with a disposable and foam before running out the door to work.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I do use sunscreen on the days at work where I have to be outside. I guess I don't consider that an aftershave- but I do put it on after shaving and before I leave the house. ;) So, @CCS your post has officially made me a part of the aftershave crowd. Now I can reply "Sunscreen" every day on the Aftershave of the Day thread! :c2:

Top Bottom