What's new

What's up with this Pre de Provence No.63 shave cream that I bought?

For the longest time, I've been wanting to try out this cream. I've read so many good things about it's scent and performance that the praise alone had left me intrigued. Problem is that I'm not really into soaps and I'm happy with my TOBS & Proraso that I always use. I also figured that it was kind of expensive at $20 for a 2.5oz tube. But regardless, I needed to see what all the hype was about!
My opportunity came when I found it last week at 50% off at Pasteur Shaving (my go to shaving site). I ordered 2 tubes since it was a good deal. I figured that if I like it, wonderful! If I don't, I can always pass one forward to someone that might like it!
So today I got my order and I'm disappointed.
First of all is the scent:
It smells like cologne and reminds me of something along the lines of Drakkar!
Definitely not an original scent that would "blow your mind" as I have interpreted most reviews of the cream.
The woody, spicy & musky scent that I read about is nowhere to be found in this product.
Second is the lathering:
I tried bowl lathering which is what I normally do and ended up with 100% liquid with zero lather or consistency.
It's as if the soap wasn't even there!
Then I attempted to face lather and got the same result. A total fail!
In the end, I had to clean my bowl, brush and face and start over with my normal TOBS in order to complete my shave.
So does anyone have any idea of what happened here?
Is it maybe expired or something? Because no way that this product is normally like this!
Attached is a picture of what I received,
LRod

full

All that I can state in their favor is that I like their bar soaps for bathing and as of yet have not tried their shaving soaps.

You may have received an old stock product. I had a similar experience with another reputable vendor who had heavily discounted a soap. When I received the tub, the scent of this product was very faint. So I suspect that was the reason for the clearance of this product in my case. Lesson learned.

But I don't know if the same applies to your case. Maybe you just don't like the scent.... then again, that wouldn't explain the shortcomings in terms of performance. That you received an old stock product might. 🤷‍♂️

...So today I got my order and I'm disappointed.

...Second is the lathering:
I tried bowl lathering which is what I normally do and ended up with 100% liquid with zero lather or consistency.
It's as if the soap wasn't even there!
Then I attempted to face lather and got the same result. A total fail!...
The PdP shaving cream is a totally different product from the soap. It is a non-lathering cream by design, intended to be used without a brush.

It's not a bad product, it just won't lather at all. You are supposed to apply a small amount by hand to damp skin.

The PdP shaving cream is a totally different product from the soap. It is a non-lathering cream by design, intended to be used without a brush.

It's not a bad product, it just won't lather at all. You are supposed to apply a small amount by hand to damp skin.
And therein lies the difference!

Well, I did try that after seeing that it wouldn't work in the bowl and I got the same result. It was literally like putting nothing on my face. No slickness, zilch!!

I only have the soap version of #63 from The Men's Room Barber Shop store. I find it stunningly good with an amazingly intoxicating scent. Don't know about their creams. I also have a puck of the original scent that's a good 10 years old and it too smells (and performs) great.
No way that anyone can like the scent of what I received! It's bad, LOL!!
I'm certain that it's not supposed to smell like this. And I'm also certain that I got an expired and/or
defective batch.

No way that anyone can like the scent of what I received! It's bad, LOL!!
I'm certain that it's not supposed to smell like it does. I'm convinced that I got an expired and/or
defective batch.
Send it back as defective. The soap is amazing IMO.

Well, I did try that after seeing that it wouldn't work in the bowl and I got the same result. It was literally like putting nothing on my face. No slickness, zilch!!
Something is wrong, then, because it works really well for many people. You said you face lathered, I guess using a brush? Just wash the face and apply using with the fingers. It is supposed to be a very thin layer.

I use the soap, because that's what I'm used to.

Send it back as defective. The soap is amazing IMO.
Yeah, I'm gonna contact them tomorrow and ask for a refund.
You say it's amazing and everyone else thinks the same.
No way that so many people like it and only I think that it smells horrible!
I think I'll get a refund and buy the hard soap version of it elsewhere.
I still want to try it!

Yeah, I'm gonna contact them tomorrow and ask for a refund.
You say it's amazing and everyone else thinks the same.
No way that so many people like it and only I think that it smells horrible!
I think I'll get a refund and buy the hard soap version of it elsewhere.
I still want to try it!
The scent of #63 reminds me a little bit of Spicebomb cologne. If you air out the soap, it loses a lot of scent strength. I prefer shave soaps to be more mildly scented, usually.

If you don't like the scent, there is another PdP scent that smells herbal, like sage, etc. Maybe that would be better for you. It's the same soap except for scent.

I guess it's possible you got some older stock.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Haven’t tried the cream but like the soap body hair was and the scent. Read an article the other day on the correlation to Yankee candle reviews saying there is no scent to covid case increases. Can two tubes be bad? Possibly but check out your sniffer 😁🤔

I like both the shave soap and the bath soap, but stayed away from the cream. I had read that it is a non lathering cream that goes fast unlike the great value puck.

I was going to use Proraso white, but now I think I'll pull out the 63.

@LRod, I have only used the AS balm/cream and it performs very well. I, perhaps, am another rare one who thinks it is a very strong scent that borders on turning my stomach. Colongne bomb is apropos.

Top Bottom