What's new

noob to GEM Razors

If you want the GEM vintage blade experience, I suggest using current production GEM carbon steel blades. The PAL Blue Carbon are the best and longest lasting. The Blue Stars (also sold under store labels) are a step down.

With the GEM stainless PTFE coated, I cork the blade before first use to smooth it out.

The Micromatic Monday thread is a major GEM / ASR razor hangout. Great source for fine points, too, if you have time to scan through. Shimming is a hot topic currently.

Reactions: saj
I think that perhaps you should have asked which ER/ Gem Razor is best for Head Shavers. Most likely people gave their views based on the fact that they used these Razors for face Shaving.
Ever Ready is a 1st cousin to GEM.

The only razor I use is the 1924 ER Shovel head. It is a mid range aggressive vintage razor. I am a daily shaver. When I shave I shave both face and head. It is safe, smooth, comfortable, provides a close shave and is easy to use for both face and head. I only use two blade types:

PAL Blue Carbon-very smooth
(I get 3-4 shaves)

GEM PTFE SS-very smooth
(I get 3-6 shaves)

After learning from a 1912 GEM, this is good inexpensive SE to add to your rotation. It get very good reviews.

Top Bottom