What's new

Comparative scuttlery

I'm just trying to collect opinions on various versions of the Moss scuttle before diving into a purchase for which my wallet will be yelling at me. :biggrin: As far as I can tell there are three, right?

1. Moss scuttle
2. Dirty Bird scuttle
3. Georgetown Pottery scuttle

Am I missing any others? For those who have them, what do you think? I'm leaning towards the Dirty Bird at the moment.

I'm just trying to collect opinions on various versions of the Moss scuttle before diving into a purchase for which my wallet will be yelling at me. :biggrin: As far as I can tell there are three, right?

1. Moss scuttle
2. Dirty Bird scuttle
3. Georgetown Pottery scuttle

Am I missing any others? For those who have them, what do you think? I'm leaning towards the Dirty Bird at the moment.

If you do a search, there is a thread here somewhere that has a comparison of the 3 scuttles you mentioned. There is a German scuttle that gets some love too.

There's a fairly long thread on this issue, where a poster did a rather thorough comparison. You should be able to find it under Search, or another poster might be good enough to post it.

Basically, it boils down to what you intend to do. If you are predominantly a face-latherer, the Moss seems the best option as a brush warmer. It isn't made to accomodate large amounts of mixing and whipping. It's just big enough to hold the bristles of a brush and keep it toasty.

The Dirty Bird and the Georgetown are lather mixers, with ridges on the interior and room to whip up a lot of lather. They both have loyal followings.

The Dirty Bird can keep a lather hotter for longer, and it comes in seperate peices for cleaning or for ease of lathering before resting the lathering bowl in the hot water basin.

The Georgetown is a one piece. It makes plenty of lather and comes as a one piece, double walled unit. While some find it loses heat faster, it can be brought up to a temp that will evaporate lather easily, i.e., too hot.

Both the Dirty Bird and Georgetown work really well. I prefer the Georgetown because I don't wanna have to keep up with two pieces near a wet sink, and I want warm lather, not hot. Hot makes the lather disappear.

There's a fairly long thread on this issue, where a poster did a rather thorough comparison. You should be able to find it under Search, or another poster might be good enough to post it.

Basically, it boils down to what you intend to do. If you are predominantly a face-latherer, the Moss seems the best option as a brush warmer. It isn't made to accomodate large amounts of mixing and whipping. It's just big enough to hold the bristles of a brush and keep it toasty.

The Dirty Bird and the Georgetown are lather mixers, with ridges on the interior and room to whip up a lot of lather. They both have loyal followings.

The Dirty Bird can keep a lather hotter for longer, and it comes in seperate peices for cleaning or for ease of lathering before resting the lathering bowl in the hot water basin.

The Georgetown is a one piece. It makes plenty of lather and comes as a one piece, double walled unit. While some find it loses heat faster, it can be brought up to a temp that will evaporate lather easily, i.e., too hot.

Both the Dirty Bird and Georgetown work really well. I prefer the Georgetown because I don't wanna have to keep up with two pieces near a wet sink, and I want warm lather, not hot. Hot makes the lather disappear.

Great info, thanks.

You don't happen to have a thread title or something like it, do you? I did a search but didn't see anything like this around.

Sorry, just want to clarify, the Dirty Bird Scuttle is a one piece unit (available as 2 piece by special order). I'd say about 99% of the scuttles I've sold have been one piece. An occasional rinsing with a bleach solution should take care of any cleaning concerns.

I have a Dirty Bird 1.5 that I've enjoyed for many years, particularly in the winter months. Before I was a stay at home CEO, there were some years where I was the first person up early in morning. When winter temperatures were sub zero and the house hadn't quite heated up, the DB 1.5 was really nice. I would pre-heat it with hot tap water, take my shower and then add a second batch of hot water and start my lather.

There was enough ceramic thermal mass with the Dirty Bird which along with the large water chamber helped hold the heat through three passes and touch up. Since that time I shaved at the gym sans scuttle or actually shave mid-morning. In retrospect, the scuttle is a nice shaving luxury, but it's a fun luxury that I still enjoy.

Top Bottom