What's new

Stick or twist....recommend me a blade!

Hi all,

Looking for some recommendations for DE safety blades.

Been wet shaving with a DE for about 6 months now. Still getting my technique down but it is definitely improving shave after shave. Certainly my ingrown hairs are a thing of the past! I am using a synthetic brush and bowl, was using Body Shop Macca root shave cream but now using Arko sensitive (which I think is great and has made my shaves better), alum block, Thayers witch hazel and Nivea Sensitive balm.

I've got very sensitive skin. Even with the lightest of one pass WTG shaves, I am prone to razor burn on my neck and on my chin, don't get it every time but sometimes, it'll flare up. However I have very coarse thick hair. I have to be clean shaven for work so have to shave often and even after just 24 hours by stubble is very visible and rough.
I can get away with a 2 pass WTG and XTG if for example I shave the night before to allow for any redness/burn to calm down. I would say I mix between a one pass WTG with some touch ups if needed and a 2 pass as above, depending on the growth and how my skin is.

I've been using Astra SP as my go to as I got a few with my razor (DE89) and they have been working ok. I tried a few voskhod blades but preferred the Astras so went back to them.

I am tempted to try the Feather blade that also came with the razor as from reading about them, they will make very short work of my thicker hair thus meaning I can get a better 1 pass shave. However people also say, that they aren't great for sensitive skin.

Another option would be to go to the other end of the scale and go for a milder blade that is better for sensitive skin but then may take more passes to get an acceptable finish (I never go for BBS, just a close, comfortable shave).

Or....do I just stick with the Astras as they seem to sit in the middle ground of the two, hone down my technique some more?

Just curious on your thoughts!

Cheers all!

You will benefit from a sharper blade in the DE89. You may get less irritation with a sharper blade. That probably sounds paradoxical, but it's true. A sharp blade in a mild razor is an excellent combination. With a sharper blade you may need fewer passes. Just make sure you have a good lather and don't apply much pressure when shaving. That is where most irritation comes from.

Unfortunately, it's hard to recommend specific blades because people get their best results with different blade and razor combos. So, I'd suggest putting a sampler together of sharper blades such as Nacet, Perma-Sharp Super (gold/red pack), 7 O'clock Yellow, 7 O'clock Black, Feather, Personna Med Prep, etc. Get at least two of each blade. There is a website called razorbladesclub that will allow you to build your own sampler. Once you have narrowed the field, you can order blades in larger quantities like 100-packs to save money.

Last edited:
I'll give 3 suggestions for blades in your DE89 on sensitive skin with coarse whiskers. Wizamet super iridium, Gillette Nacet, Bic chrome platinum.

I have a similar skin/beard combo as you. My solution was buying an adjustable, a Rockwell 6C, I use it on setting 5. So that's what I would recommend as far as the razor goes, I've tried the R41, the Parker 97R, the Wilkinson classic, the Fatip Piccolo, the King C. Gilette... just a waste of time and money. Get an adjustable.

As for soap, regular ARKO works perfectly for me.

As for the blades, if you want something that will cut through and won't cause irritation, BIC is much better than a Feather. If you want to go a step down in sharpness but still get a tug/irritation free shave, Lord Racer works great for me. Another safe choice are the German Wilkinsons, avoid the Indian ones. Astras didn't work out for me, gave me weepers on the neck, not sharp enough.

I use Mühle Razor blades and I also like Derby Extra blades. Mühle and Derby Extra are blades of substance. Mühle blades are an expertly engineered, quality German blade which I discovered after buying a Mühle Rocca razor which came with one of these blades. I got such a great shave from this complimentary blade that I immediately bought 3 packs of ten.

The Mühle blade is noticeably sharper than the Derby Extra yet remains just as smooth. It’s another blade that, like the Derby, tickles my face as it slices. It performs perfectly in the EJ DE89 razor.

I’d highly recommend the Mühle or Derby Extra blades for sensitive skin and neck. For me, they are the perfect balance between closeness and smoothness. Love them. They leave me with no irritation whatsoever.

The TOBS Rose cream is also excellent for my sensitive skin. It might also suit you. The Nivea Protect and Care aftershave balm compliments the Rose cream perfectly.

Good luck on finding the right blade for you. Hope this helps.
😊👍
6B89F74E-E4F0-4318-9CFA-10E1A65B21A7.jpeg

Blades are just about the biggest YMMV element of one's shave so a variety bundle might be a good idea. I'd also recommend using the blade for a full week of shaves to get a feel for how that blade beds in over time. In my case, the first shave is always the roughest and the sweet spot arrives on shave 3 and last out the week. As you have tough stubble that window may be a bit smaller obviously.

Regarding the frequent bouts of razor burn:
1, Lather is the single biggest protective element of one's shave so it pays to get it right (it took me longer than I care to admit to achieve that).
2, Don't go over the same patch of skin too many times during each pass.

Whatever you do, enjoy the journey 🙂

@Fridge03 It's impossible to randomly recommend blades to members, because they are impossibly subjective.

The best you can do, as has been mentioned is to keep an eye out for blades that seem highly popular and are discussed and repeated at some length on the threads here and which seem to match your skin type, and how they behave with members with similar, and how they discuss them, favourably or not.

Contact the fine Gent @dmshaver and peruse the Great Blade Exhange here The Great Blade Exchange - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-great-blade-exchange.606840/

Yes B&B even has it's own blade sampling setup!

@Fridge03
These are what have been working exceptionally FOR ME in my Mühle R89:
  • Wizamet / Polsilver Iridium
  • Personna Platinum (Israel) / Med-Prep
  • Wilkinson Sword (Germany)
  • Gillette Minora SS
Again, in my usage, I preferred the Astra SS (Blue) over the SP (Green). I tend to use my blades over the course of 1 week in general. The blades I've listed, I've used well beyond; but definitely heed the detail provided by @Trollky and advice given by these fine gentlemen.

I would strongly recommend against using a milder blade in your DE89 as you may actually flare up your skin with additional buffing or passes.

Last edited:
I have a similar skin/beard combo as you. My solution was buying an adjustable, a Rockwell 6C, I use it on setting 5. So that's what I would recommend as far as the razor goes, I've tried the R41, the Parker 97R, the Wilkinson classic, the Fatip Piccolo, the King C. Gilette... just a waste of time and money. Get an adjustable.

As for soap, regular ARKO works perfectly for me.

As for the blades, if you want something that will cut through and won't cause irritation, BIC is much better than a Feather. If you want to go a step down in sharpness but still get a tug/irritation free shave, Lord Racer works great for me. Another safe choice are the German Wilkinsons, avoid the Indian ones. Astras didn't work out for me, gave me weepers on the neck, not sharp enough.
I second the Wilkinson Swords from Germany. Great, smooth shaves. Prep is key!!!

I am tempted to try the Feather blade that also came with the razor as from reading about them, they will make very short work of my thicker hair thus meaning I can get a better 1 pass shave. However people also say, that they aren't great for sensitive skin.
I have quite a sensitive skin on my neck. Feather is the blade I use more than 90% of the time. The other 10% is only when I want to use the other blades I have. I’ve tried a few Personna one made in the US and liked them quite a lot. So much, that I’ll buy a 100 pack soon.

I think you need to give Feather a chance. The first shave will probably feel harsh as you’ll not be familiar with a blade that sharp, but the following shave will be more smooth. Eventually you’ll be able to adjust a bit so even the first shave won’t feel harsh.

Good luck with your try

I've always had the opposite experience when using Feathers in my R89... first use draws blood and leaves irritation. By the 2nd or 3rd use they're shaving great.

I've mostly used a Muhle R89 for the past 11-12 years and after trying many blades I found I liked Sharks the best. I never cut myself with a Shark, but always do with a Feather. As others have said, ymmv.

Recently I've been trying new razor heads (Timeless, Maggard, Phoenix, etc) and find I now like a more aggressive razor. The old 89 seems much too mild now, but I'll feel confident giving it to my son in a few years when he starts shaving. It's a safe, mild combo.

Sharks are in all the razors in my current rotation...
20221030_091637.jpg

Top Bottom