What's new

Barrister and Mann Four Horsemen Scents

I preordered all four of the 4 Horsemen shave soaps and aftershaves on Maggard Razors in 2 separate orders. War sounds very intriguing to me as I’m a fan of leather and gunpowder scents.

Darn it, he has done it again! :mad:
I just wanted the samples for entertainment, wasn't really interested in actually buying any full size since I have Leviathan left over from last Fall. I just tried out Death and I really like it, it's subtle. Plague is the one I am most interested in, but I thought I better try the foundational one first. I used Speick aftershave and it layered perfectly! The scent is almost gone after an hour which is perfect for me. I just hope I screw up this whole pre-order confusion while trying out the others and miss out buying. 😬

Darn it, he has done it again! :mad:
I just wanted the samples for entertainment, wasn't really interested in actually buying any full size since I have Leviathan left over from last Fall. I just tried out Death and I really like it, it's subtle. Plague is the one I am most interested in, but I thought I better try the foundational one first. I used Speick aftershave and it layered perfectly! The scent is almost gone after an hour which is perfect for me. I just hope I screw up this whole pre-order confusion while trying out the others and miss out buying. 😬
Right on! I shaved with Death today and also really liked it. I was also hoping I didn't like them too much so as to not feel compelled to buy more. I think I'm most interested in Famine but also like Plague.

I think you meant to include the word "don't". I'm not sure how this order thing goes but I'm getting nervous about it all. I've barely tried Death and will be using Plague and Famine next with War being last. Timing may be an issue.

Ugh! Why do things have to cosy money? These decisions would be so much easier.

Right on! I shaved with Death today and also really liked it. I was also hoping I didn't like them too much so as to not feel compelled to buy more. I think I'm most interested in Famine but also like Plague.

I think you meant to include the word "don't". I'm not sure how this order thing goes but I'm getting nervous about it all. I've barely tried Death and will be using Plague and Famine next with War being last. Timing may be an issue.

Ugh! Why do things have to cosy money? These decisions would be so much easier.
You probably don't know, but a few of us last year missed out on Melange because it was only offered for a short time. After finally getting a sample and trying it, not being able to actually buy it was almost painful. I get it, it's art. It's available for a limited time, not a mere product. Buy it while you can, consider it later. It definitely ground my gears! More so because Omnibus had only recently been released and I was on that hype train. I typed all this and more last year, but I didn't accidentally leave out the 'don't,' I want this whole confusion to pass quickly as intended and leave me with my little samples to enjoy so I don't have to get emotionally invested in this all over again! Sorry, I have become more cynical the longer I have been here.

I re-checked all the emails and blog posts and we have until Tuesday to make up our mind and pre-order. I have no idea what happens after that. People are supposed to get their pre-orders before Halloween, but is that it? I don't know and won't be ready by Tuesday myself. I hope Maggard is as frustrated as I am and at least orders some amount for his stock. At least he acts like a business man.

You probably don't know, but a few of us last year missed out on Melange because it was only offered for a short time. After finally getting a sample and trying it, not being able to actually buy it was almost painful. I get it, it's art. It's available for a limited time, not a mere product. Buy it while you can, consider it later. It definitely ground my gears! More so because Omnibus had only recently been released and I was on that hype train. I typed all this and more last year, but I didn't accidentally leave out the 'don't,' I want this whole confusion to pass quickly as intended and leave me with my little samples to enjoy so I don't have to get emotionally invested in this all over again! Sorry, I have become more cynical the longer I have been here.

I re-checked all the emails and blog posts and we have until Tuesday to make up our mind and pre-order. I have no idea what happens after that. People are supposed to get their pre-orders before Halloween, but is that it? I don't know and won't be ready by Tuesday myself. I hope Maggard is as frustrated as I am and at least orders some amount for his stock. At least he acts like a business man.
Oh interesting. I remember a fuss being made about that soap. I had forgotten but I remember now.

I'm sorry to hear about your past experience. I totally understand the reason for your cynicism. If I'm being honest, I've had the very same thought as you. If the opportunity to order passed, well then, there's nothing I can do about it. But now you've told me I have until Tuesday. Great! Now I can't play the ignorance card anymore. I guess I've got some decisions to make. Maybe I just get two of the four? Maybe I just stick to me four samples?

Now that you mention it. I'm sure third-party retailers will have at least some of the four for a little while after these pre-ordering shenanigans end.

Never the less I'm sorry for misunderstanding you and thank you for your explanation. 😉

Death and War appeared at my doorstep today. I can't wait to get home and give them both a big sniff. I will be shaving with one tomorrow morning. I should probably go with War then Death as that is the natural order of things.

Ordered all 4 samples. There's nothing like them in term of scent, at least that I have tried. I like them all, but ordered Famine and Plague soap/splash sets. They felt a little more complex than War and Death to my nose, which made me think they'll have more longevity in my den.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
All Four arrived today. First sensory impressions are:

War — wow, strong flint/metal/gunpowder. This is likely to be very polarizing.

Death — smells very similar to Hallows, to my nose. It’s a ‘safe’ choice of the Four.

Plague — very floral and earthy. This one will be popular, I suspect.

Famine — yikes, I do not like this at all — hard to describe why, but it’s not a scent I want anywhere near my face.

30C4EFDD-9609-4430-982C-40AF5C3390FA.jpeg

My opinion on order...

1. Famine (best top notes over the base)
2. Death (narrowly beats 3)
3. Plague (very close too 2)
4. War (I dont like this one at all)

Anyone placing an order for fulls?

My opinion on order...

1. Famine (best top notes over the base)
2. Death (narrowly beats 3)
3. Plague (very close too 2)
4. War (I dont like this one at all)

Anyone placing an order for fulls?
Of I may ask have you shaved with all/any of them, or is this based off of smells alone?

Of I may ask have you shaved with all/any of them, or is this based off of smells alone?
I've used them all to shave with except for War. I plan on using it tomorrow though.

Even though I haven't used War to shave with yet, I highly doubt using it will change my opinion of its scent.

I've used them all to shave with except for War. I plan on using it tomorrow though.

Even though I haven't used War to shave with yet, I highly doubt using it will change my opinion of its scent.
Yeah, I can see that. I'm morbidly curious to whip up a lather and see if it changes at all.

I have decided to pass on ordering full size versions, but I wanted to share something that led to that decision, not necessarily my opinion of the scent. I had made a test lather of Death, I wanted to know what the base itself smells like because I suspect after a few hours that is what will stay on the skin with all the scents. What I do is leave plenty of unused lather open in the washroom(bathroom) and as I come and go(sorry) I can revisit the scent and decide if my opinion has changed. In this case it did both a couple hours and 24 hours later. Like most B&M scents, these are interesting at least and I don't have anything particularly negative to say about them. Plague was nice while shaving and it's now covered up by Floid The Genuine so the base doesn't come through.

Top Bottom