What's new

Review: Gillette NEW Long Comb

So last week I received my newest addiction addition - a Gillette NEW Long Comb. I initially bought it for its common bar handle which I wanted for my NEW Flat Bottom. I found it at a bargain price using the Razorock vintage bars as guide (it was either that or a real vintage handle). Using Achim’s excellent website I have been able to narrow her down to most likely a 1933 exhibition model - but it came without a case so I am not super sure, but all other factors match (gold, common bar handle, patent numbers).

The photo’s from the seller did not actually do it full justice, because it needed some TLC. I just finished my second clean and this is what it looks like in my Gillette razor stand together with its Gillette siblings:

E0C23EE9-653C-4AD0-9208-B844E5EE8A97.jpeg

And stand alone:

D641E798-868B-418A-8C83-91524B30B2FA.jpeg

The plating is still much in good condition. i did spot one corner tooth to be slightly bent but it does not effect the shave as far as I can tell.

Speaking of shaves, it is a very intuitive razor and from my experience (YMMV) smoother and more comfortable than my NEW Flat Bottom. I have compared them and they seem very very similar to the naked eye but I suspect that the NEW LC ever so slightly curves the blade more making it a more comfortable shave for me. I subsequently shave with the Flat Bottom. Effective as ever but did leave my skin more sensitive. Everything else was exactly the same and same blade so only change was the razor.

The NEW LC clamps the blade pretty well too and the side corners on the cap keep it locked in place.

Weight wise the LC is similar to the Tech with a fat handle making it a very nimble razor to use and very well balanced in the hand. My modern razors are heavier but I cannot say the difference bothers me. Not at all actually. i would be very happy to shave with just the razors you are in the stand. The NEW LC is very well made from solid brass (mine has gold plating) and given its age is very well preserved which is a testament to its construction.

I am very glad again to have taken @lasta’s advice in not dismissing the razor because it is enjoyable to use and a nice addition to my collection as it shaves and behaves differently from my NEW Flat Bottom.

I have the flat bottom and lc NEW as well. For me they have a different feel. I find the flat bottom to be smoother and less efficient than the NEW lc. We are talking very small degrees but it is noticeable. I just adjust the technique and tend towards sharper blades in the flat bottom.

Both are fantastic razors that will serve you very well!

lasta

Blade Biter
Yes yes.

You NEED the SC to complete the journey.

And the Goodwill. I find the British version slightly more exquisite than the US varieties. I heard there is an Argentinian one somewhere as well!

Round it off with an RFB.

And do try your hands with a Deluxe.

Although, I prefer the New Improved over the Deluxe. The nipples do make a difference.

I bought a restored NEW LC from Chris Spenser at Back Roads Gold. Wonderful razor and, like my recently purchased Old Type SC, a completely different experience than what I've been used to for decades. I was always scared of open combs but once you learn their ways, they are marvelous razors.

I suggest you also get the Gillette NEW SC. They are brothers and both are excellent and equal in performance.
Hi Steve, thanks - as you can see below this is suggested a number of times so I need to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Great review, thank you! I agree with @santamariasteve, you should acquire a NEW SC as well. And if you want to know what to get next, & next, & next, just ask! We're here to help!!!
:a29::a29::a29:
Thanks David! The SC is in good supply too I have seen. Lasta picked up on your &next with a nice wanted list additions list!
You meant we are here to enable, right my friend?
Very true! We are all on the board of Enablers, Inc !
Yes yes.

And the Goodwill. I find the British version slightly more exquisite than the US varieties. I heard there is an Argentinian one somewhere as well!

Although, I prefer the New Improved over the Deluxe. The nipples do make a difference.
Ah man! Just when I thought I was complete you give my not one not two, but mega suggestions :biggrin1: - I have seen a couple of these pass by. Was able to restrain until now, but my wanted list may have just grown in size.

I bought a restored NEW LC from Chris Spenser at Back Roads Gold. Wonderful razor and, like my recently purchased Old Type SC, a completely different experience than what I've been used to for decades. I was always scared of open combs but once you learn their ways, they are marvelous razors.
Hi CCS,

Chris has some amazing restorations so you have likely acquired magnificent specimen. I had the same experience and thought there was no way that I would shave with an OC. I thought those were reserved for the (way) more experienced users.

My second razor acquisition was a Fatip special edition because I thought with the SE I will have both baseplates handy but will likely never touch the OC. Well curiosity got the better of me and it was an amazing shave. Never looked back and my OC part of the collection has grown since.

Cheers,

Guido

Speaking of shaves, it is a very intuitive razor and from my experience (YMMV) smoother and more comfortable than my NEW Flat Bottom. I have compared them and they seem very very similar to the naked eye but I suspect that the NEW LC ever so slightly curves the blade more making it a more comfortable shave for me.
I took a closer look just now when loading new blades for tomorrow. The teeth on my NEW Flat Bottom are actually shorter than in the NEW Long Comb. Not short as in Short Comb, but definitely shorter than the regular NEW. This might be the difference in feeling I have between the two.

Guido

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So last week I received my newest addiction addition - a Gillette NEW Long Comb. I initially bought it for its common bar handle which I wanted for my NEW Flat Bottom. I found it at a bargain price using the Razorock vintage bars as guide (it was either that or a real vintage handle). Using Achim’s excellent website I have been able to narrow her down to most likely a 1933 exhibition model - but it came without a case so I am not super sure, but all other factors match (gold, common bar handle, patent numbers).

The photo’s from the seller did not actually do it full justice, because it needed some TLC. I just finished my second clean and this is what it looks like in my Gillette razor stand together with its Gillette siblings:

View attachment 1530630

And stand alone:

View attachment 1530631

The plating is still much in good condition. i did spot one corner tooth to be slightly bent but it does not effect the shave as far as I can tell.

Speaking of shaves, it is a very intuitive razor and from my experience (YMMV) smoother and more comfortable than my NEW Flat Bottom. I have compared them and they seem very very similar to the naked eye but I suspect that the NEW LC ever so slightly curves the blade more making it a more comfortable shave for me. I subsequently shave with the Flat Bottom. Effective as ever but did leave my skin more sensitive. Everything else was exactly the same and same blade so only change was the razor.

The NEW LC clamps the blade pretty well too and the side corners on the cap keep it locked in place.

Weight wise the LC is similar to the Tech with a fat handle making it a very nimble razor to use and very well balanced in the hand. My modern razors are heavier but I cannot say the difference bothers me. Not at all actually. i would be very happy to shave with just the razors you are in the stand. The NEW LC is very well made from solid brass (mine has gold plating) and given its age is very well preserved which is a testament to its construction.

I am very glad again to have taken @lasta’s advice in not dismissing the razor because it is enjoyable to use and a nice addition to my collection as it shaves and behaves differently from my NEW Flat Bottom.

Hey look at that, your new razor reminds me of the Fatip OC razor that I have, because of the OC design, they are very similar IMO. I like it when the comb is not scratchy and nice and rounded like that. But we don't want no bent teeth though, don't want your razor looking like a hill billy razor now do we, no sir! While it could possible benefit from a re-plating job, its got a natural patina to it, and if your into that sort of thing, you could just keep it like it is and enjoy it just fine. I personally would have it re-plated though if it were me.

Congrats on your new razor, may it provide you many great shaves, and many great memories. I agree with @lasta as well, don't dismiss a razor, simply because it is comfortable to us. A comfortable razor means success IMO, especially if it can manage to slice your whiskers off, without taking off facial features. Hey, you gotta look good, when your admiring yourself in the mirror. 😝

You meant we are here to enable, right my friend?

Your darn tootin right there Dave. This is B&B, you know out motto, we enable! I personally love to deliver on that promise. And this is SWCT, and I approve this message. ;)

Enable, enlighten, push in the rabbit hole, exactly!

There all going to end up there eventually, might as well be sooner then later! 🐇 🕳️ 🐰

Yes yes.

20220401_192532.jpg
20220401_192620.jpg
20220401_192355.jpg

These are the argentine versions of the Goodwill. Note that one is Gillette branded and the other Probak. But are identical

I agree with the folks here who have said that the New LC & SC are more alike than different, so it’s easy to see why some prefer one over the other. The difference is Wow! vs. Wow!! And some get the extra wow from the LC, others from the SC.

For me, the SC is a tad more efficient, if I take my time. I can usually save a pass or some cleanup with the SC.

Top Bottom