What's new

Tips for shaving with an open comb DE razor?

Hey there @100pctFragranceFree. I'm glad to see you're pushing your boundaries and trying new things. In this case open-comb double-edge razors. I too thoroughly enjoy the increased blade feel from open-comb razors, in general. I wouldn't say you have anything to fear in comparison to a safety bar (closed-comb) razor. My suggestion is to just go slow with the initial contact to your face and just "feel" the razor. Let each razor you use tell you what angle is best for it. Personally, I approach all razors with this mentality and have great success.

Continue your journey of adventure and discovery. Experiences are what make us.

Enjoy your shaves.

I have used three open comb razors. I did not like the Merkur 24C. I considered it to be too light for my preference.

I purchased a stainless Karve CB razor with the C open comb base plate. I never liked the size, spacing and shape of the comb, so I replaced it with a solid bar base plate. The open comb base plate is in the drawer.

I have a Parker 25C open comb which fits my style perfectly. Since I have a tough beard and sensitive skin, that razor is ideal for mowing down my beard, especially after 2-3 days growth. It can cause irritation if you shave with a steep blade angle, but is great if you shave "off the cap" with a shallow angle. I typically only use that razor for my 1st pass WTG. I then pick up other a solid or scalloped bar razor for subsequent passes.
Thanks Ray. Can't find a Parker 25C though. Have a link?

Thanks Ray. Can't find a Parker 25C though. Have a link?

Sorry for the confusion. I never could keep the numbering of the Merkur 25C and the Parker 24C straight.

The Parker open comb is offered in two versions. There is the 24C which is chrome plated. Then there is the 26C which is the same razor with the exception of a black coating on the handle.
24C

26C

Before getting the Parker, you might want to watch this video by Michael Freedberg. On his initial shave with the razor, Michael had a lot of irritation and blamed it on the razor. Many who watched the video said that the problem was not with the razor, but with the way Michael was using it. He changed is shave angle to make it more shallow (off the cap) and it became one of his most used razors. I use mine "off the cap" as well.

Sorry for the confusion. I never could keep the numbering of the Merkur 25C and the Parker 24C straight.

The Parker open comb is offered in two versions. There is the 24C which is chrome plated. Then there is the 26C which is the same razor with the exception of a black coating on the handle.
24C

26C

Before getting the Parker, you might want to watch this video by Michael Freedberg. On his initial shave with the razor, Michael had a lot of irritation and blamed it on the razor. Many who watched the video said that the problem was not with the razor, but with the way Michael was using it. He changed is shave angle to make it more shallow (off the cap) and it became one of his most used razors. I use mine "off the cap" as well.

Thanks Ray

I probably had the best shave of my life yesterday using my Razorock .68 open comb. Absolutely agree that open comb doesn’t mean more aggressive. My new faves were my slants (Merkur and Razorock) but I think this has them beat. I enjoy the blade feel while still getting a comfortable shave.

I also have the Parker 24C mentioned in a previous post but it provides me with a very different experience (not in a good way but YMMV.)

It looks like a long comb with a brassed cap. Great razor, I've got two. One with a repaired cracked handle (severe crack) and one with the later handle that looks something like a fat handle Tech's. If you bought it here, what did the seller say?
Didn't buy it here, but the seller revealed it.
crack2022-10-07_23-39.png

i shave with my oc thee exact same way i do with my sb.. the only difference is the amount of growth I am dealing with... 1-2 or 3+ days of growth but zero difference in techique.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
There's a hairline crack in the handle near or on the ball. So it's a New Short Comb?
What you have there is a nice looking New Long Comb. There were several different handles offered with the New razors.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it as I'd definitely like a milder feel at this stage.
You want a mild and efficient open comb? Look no further than the PAA Filament.

20221015_120244.jpg

~doug~

Thanks. I checked it out. Definitely different. You this Doug by any chance? And how do I get that handle in your photo for the $26.95? ;)

Attachments

• Selection_050.png
    Selection_050.png
    74 KB · Views: 7
Shaving with Gillette NEW.jpg

My experience with the NEW and Goodwill is that "riding the cap" I obtained excellent results. That's the way the instructions that came with the razor suggested to do.

Attachments

• Shaving with Gillette NEW.jpg
    Shaving with Gillette NEW.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 28
View attachment 1540848
My experience with the NEW and Goodwill is that "riding the cap" I obtained excellent results. That's the way the instructions that came with the razor suggested to do.
Thanks for the pic. I hold the handle much higher for most passes than as depicted there. More like how George is holding things in your avatar, but a little bit higher. Tor the lengthy pass from the base of my neck up to the jawline, I will the handle more towards the bottom, more like what is shown in the pic.

I tend to shave every three days or so. As I've mostly been using shavettes and straights, I recently picked up a Fatip Piccolo special edition that has an open comb and a closed comb base plate. Given the longish whiskers at the start of my shave, I been using the OC plate for the first pass, followed by the CC plate for the second pass and touch-ups, and it has been working well in this regard around 4-5 shaves in. Lots of "riding the cap" to ensure a light engagement of the blade's edge across my skin. Shaves have been smooth and about as close as I can get with a safety razor without irritation, and I have yet to nick myself (knocking on wood). Czech-made Tatra blades.

Not to send @100pctFragranceFree off to acquire another OC razor; just to say that "riding the cap" as mentioned is a good way to start out IMO, sort of like avoiding to lift the spine too much in using a straight-razor, by way of analogy. By gripping the safety razor's handle towards its juncture with the head, I find that I have more control over the balance that way, rather than in gripping the handle further down. Again, I only grip the handle towards the bottom in making a long pass from base of my neck to the jawline, and that comes at the end of the second pass. It is rather effective in removing stubble from beneath my jawline which is always difficult otherwise.

Top Bottom