What's new

Barrister and Mann Four Horsemen Scents

I know some of you are very curious about these new soaps and their scent profiles. I thought it might be nice to create a post with my thoughts on them as I recently received samples of all four of the Horsemen. Famine, Plague, War and Death.

Note that all four contain a base of Citrus, Resins and Moss. All of them. These three scents are exactly what make up "Death" all by themselves, but we'll get to that later.

First up is Famine. B&M lists this soap's scent profile as Dust, Hunger, Citrus, Resins and Moss. To me it has distinctive incense quality. Not cheap by any means or the common off the shelf stuff you burn. By incense I mean an almost floral, smokey, aromatic, deliberate scent style. They say it has notes of rose, jasmine, vanilla, and cedar on top of the citrus, resins, and moss. It gets an :thumbup1: from me.

Next is Plague. B&M profiles this one as Lavender, Herbs, Citrus, Resins and Moss. Right away I pick up the lavender top note. The "herb" note is also very up front. The soap's scent has an earthy quality to it. I don't think anyone would disagree. They say this one has notes of thyme, sage, rosemary, lavender, and geranium that sit on top of the citrus, resins, and moss base. This one also gets a :thumbup1: from me.

Next on the list, we have War. War has a very sharp on the nose scent. B&M's profile on this one is Hot metal, Gunpowder, Citrus, Resins and Moss. Again, right off the top I'm noticing the "Hot Metal" and "Gunpowder". I wouldn't say that I'm familiar with these scents in any fashion prior to smelling this soap as I don't shoot guns and am never around truly hot metal. This soap is said to have notes of metal, aldehydes, gunpowder, leather, citrus, resins, clary sage, and amber. I definitely catch the sage and can recognize the blending of the leather, citrus, aldehydes, resins and amber. Though none of that lot stand out too much on their own. The smell is built of small bits of them all. This one may be iffy for some and is in my opinion definitely a soap scent you will deliberately choose to use and not be daily go-to. I give this one a 50/50. Not bad but you're going to want to 🤔 about it.

Last but certainly not least we have Death. As I said before, Death's scent is made up purely of the base of the other three soaps, citrus, resins and moss. If like me, you get the chance to smell all of these side by side, like me you may find an enjoyment in the simplicity of this soap's scent. These three notes do make for a very moody, Halloween theme style soap (this thought does apply to the others). This soap is said to have top notes of clary sage, rose, vetiver, amber, and bay. Bergamot, labdanum, oakmoss, and patchouli round out the base. B&M like to just note this base profile as citrus, resins and moss so keep this in mind when thinking about the "base" in the other three soaps. All in all, I give this soap's scent a :thumbup1:.

There you have it gentlemen. I hope this helps you decide if any or all of these are worth your time, attention and money.

Good luck and have shaves!

Interesting! We appreciate the deeper dive @Time Bandit

Are any two truly similar (Famine and Death?) Or, just sharing overlapping notes?

"War" appeals to me (the soap only) but if it has any kind of aquatic/aldehyde things going on ... those give me a headache.

AA
You're totally welcome. I know these soaps are very attention getting but leave some unsure about what they really do smell like. The theming is fun but for sure puts them all in a niche category. So... to answer your question. No. None of them really are "similar" in their totality of the smell you're going to get from them. Now with that said, because they all share the same base notes, there is a familiarity that you'll recognize with them. It's like all four cousins from siblings of their previous family generation.

To me War stands out the most. It is the most unique of all of these unique scents. It's not aquatic at all. Don't let the inclusion of aldehyde fool you. As we're all well aware of B&M molds various individual scents into some truly unique and amazing scents for their products.
All 4 of these soaps share a similar scent accord. The safest bet, in my opinion, is Death. If you like that one then you might like the others.
This I do agree with. Simply because Death is made up of the base scents, it will be an easy foundation on which to kind of get an idea of how the others may be. For others reading this, refer to my comment above on the scents being like cousins to each other.
Good to Know. Skip the war, famine and plague, go directly towards death. Sound advice Barbarian! 🙂
This is shortsighted but see how as a whole the comment is kind of funny. By all means pick up Death if you're interested but I would not immediately disregard Famine and/or Plague. Both of these are good in their own right. Personally, my two favorites, if I have to pick, are Famine and Death but Plague has my attention and I think might appeal to me the more I use it. War is the only one I would caution folks on. It's different to say the least so be curious and prepared for something all its own with this one.

You're totally welcome. I know these soaps are very attention getting but leave some unsure about what they really do smell like. The theming is fun but for sure puts them all in a niche category. So... to answer your question. No. None of them really are "similar" in their totality of the smell you're going to get from them. Now with that said, because they all share the same base notes, there is a familiarity that you'll recognize with them. It's like all four cousins from siblings of their previous family generation.

To me War stands out the most. It is the most unique of all of these unique scents. It's not aquatic at all. Don't let the inclusion of aldehyde fool you. As we're all well aware of B&M molds various individual scents into some truly unique and amazing scents for their products.

This I do agree with. Simply because Death is made up of the base scents, it will be an easy foundation on which to kind of get an idea of how the others may be. For others reading this, refer to my comment above on the scents being like cousins to each other.

This is shortsighted but see how as a whole the comment is kind of funny. By all means pick up Death if you're interested but I would not immediately disregard Famine and/or Plague. Both of these are good in their own right. Personally, my two favorites, if I have to pick, are Famine and Death but Plague has my attention and I think might appeal to me the more I use it. War is the only one I would caution folks on. It's different to say the least so be curious and prepared for something all its own with this one.
I was going for a laugh. These all sound very very interesting to me honestly. I just acquired four tubs of soap through a trade for half a kilo of cella and some cash. I also recently got Leviathan and Fern. So I don't need any more soap and am trying to restrain myself. I want to check out a Southern Witchcraft soap too since I have some B&M already.

I was going for a laugh. These all sound very very interesting to me honestly. I just acquired four tubs of soap through a trade for half a kilo of cella and some cash. I also recently got Leviathan and Fern. So I don't need any more soap and am trying to restrain myself. I want to check out a Southern Witchcraft soap too since I have some B&M already.
Oh man. I totally understand. I'm having a real hard time holding back from picking up more soaps. It's a daily struggle. This is why with these Four Horsemen soaps I went for the samples. Lol.

With all the artisans out there there're too many good choices.

Fight the good fight my friend. Or at least try. 😁

Oh man. I totally understand. I'm having a real hard time holding back from picking up more soaps. It's a daily struggle. This is why with these Four Horsemen soaps I went for the samples. Lol.

Thank you! I'm holding firm for now. I traded a Lupo for 100 plus blades and half a tub of MdC Agrumes, so I could go a few years on what's on hand. Happy shaves!

I succumbed to peer pressure and ordered the Death & War samples from Maggards. They both sounded too compelling to not try.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’m still awaiting shipment notice from B&M from a Tuesday purchase. I emailed Will, and he replied that trying to juggle pre-orders from regular orders has been a challenge. I probably should have ordered from Maggards.

I’m still awaiting shipment notice from B&M from a Tuesday purchase. I emailed Will, and he replied that trying to juggle pre-orders from regular orders has been a challenge. I probably should have ordered from Maggards.
I was shocked at how fast Maggards got my order going. I ordered it around 10AM and got the shipping notification email 45 minutes later. Wow. I ordered Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash, I am going all in on Spooky Season.

All 4 samples arrived at my door 2 days from ordering at Maggards.
Of the 4 War is going to be the most controversial. To me it smells like Death overlayed with a note that reminds me of cilantro, that undertone of cilantro that makes your nose itch and burn. It is certainly an interesting combination, but I don’t see myself using this much. It does change when worn, but still an unsettling scent.
The other 3 are fantastic, great autumn/winter scents.

I just got an email confirmation that my order has shipped. Hopefully you get yours soon if you haven’t already

Top Bottom