What's new

Plisson? Need your opinions please

I am thinking about adding a Plisson brush to my collection. I know they’re not worth the price tag, but there is something mystical at least to me about the brand. I also don’t yet own a French brush.

I like super dense, short lofted with lots of backbone. Not a fan of flop. I don’t mind some scritch. My 3 favorites thus far are my chubby 2 Manchurian, 26 mm do1 and 26 mm epsilon 2 band.
Brushes I almost never use in my collection include any 3 band, chubby 2 silvertip, shavemac silvertip 2 band bulb, and my DG b14.

Considering their European grey in the size 12. Appears to be the hair type that is closest to what I usually like. Will I regret this purchase? I can’t find much as far as reviews. I also just purchased a semogue torga c5 finest and a zenith Manchurian that I’m waiting on being delivered. So my BAD is pretty bad, I don’t necessary “need” another brush. Thanks for any help!

I too have a Plisson European White in size 12 and it's one amazing brush for face lathering. It's a scrubby brush with medium dense knot and medium backbone. I think the loft is perfect and it's not floppy at all. Only downside for me is the price for Plisson brushes as i paid 245€ for mine. Haven't tried their European Grey but i'm definitely interested to get one at some point if the price is right.

Here's a picture of my brush
plissonew-jpg.1102618

I don’t own a Plisson but I borrowed one for a few shaves a year or so ago.

I loved the horn handle and the knot was very nice. Many say they are too floppy but I didn’t find that. I don’t find my Kent BK8 floppy eaither so YMMV. Plissons are not in any way like Simpson Chubbys though. Long lofted from my experience and definately not super dense.

I want to own one, but they can be very expensive. I will be in Paris next month and I am determined to find one on sale. 👍

I like super dense, short lofted with lots of backbone.
I have two Plissons. A European White and a High Mountain White both in size 12. I like them a lot but based on your preferences I do not think that you would enjoy them. Plisson is a different kind of brush entirely.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have only one Plisson brush, an European White in size 12. This brush is quite the opposite from what you like: not dense at all, very long loft and very floppy.
Used it this morning, and have to add that this one is also my scratchiest brush. I do not use it much and it is a total disappointment for me.. Mine has a knot diameter of 22.2 mm and a loft of 57 mm.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have two Plissons. A European White and a High Mountain White both in size 12. I like them a lot but based on your preferences I do not think that you would enjoy them. Plisson is a different kind of brush entirely.
I would agree. I have had the high mountain white I sold it because the tips were gelled. It is nothing like a dense Simpson. It’s much more like a Kent with a little more back bone. A step up in density and slightly more backbone would be a VP Leonhardy

I would agree. I have had the high mountain white I sold it because the tips were gelled. It is nothing like a dense Simpson. It’s much more like a Kent with a little more back bone. A step up in density and slightly more backbone would be a VP Leonhardy
Yup. Pretty much the polar opposite of a Chubby 2 Manchurian. I like them because they have great flow through and are gentle on the face. They produce lather well and the lower density allows them to hold more lather in the knot which they release easily. My HMW has developed curled tips at the ends of the bristles which go crusty after drying. This is typical of the gel knot but I have also had this on a particularly soft Simpson super. I don’t think it necessarily means that the hair has been treated.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Yup. Pretty much the polar opposite of a Chubby 2 Manchurian. I like them because they have great flow through and are gentle on the face. They produce lather well and the lower density allows them to hold more lather in the knot which they release easily. My HMW has developed curled tips at the ends of the bristles which go crusty after drying. This is typical of the gel knot but I have also had this on a particularly soft Simpson super. I don’t think it necessarily means that the hair has been treated.
Exactly. Eventually the hair will curl and give the "drying crusty" effect that is so typical for a treated hair brush. I have a few of my brushes develop this over the years of use. They start out totally normal but over years of use this curl effect takes place. Some of my favorite Shavemac two-band silvertip have gone this way so to say. The curly tips stick together, the chemical/heat alteration of some knots make this effect artificially and it is present from the beginning of use of the brush.

Exactly. Eventually the hair will curl and give the "drying crusty" effect that is so typical for a treated hair brush. I have a few of my brushes develop this over the years of use. They start out totally normal but over years of use this curl effect takes place. Some of my favorite Shavemac two-band silvertip have gone this way so to say. The curly tips stick together, the chemical/heat alteration of some knots make this effect artificially and it is present from the beginning of use of the brush.
FYI, my Plisson No. 8 HMW doesn’t do this at all. Tips are soft, but lather develops quickly and easily.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
FYI, my Plisson No. 8 HMW doesn’t do this at all. Tips are soft, but lather develops quickly and easily.
Mine did not either. The wet tips clustered together in the way gelled tips to and felt noticeably different than the rest of the hair. It performed very well. I just did not care for the gelled feel.

Mine did not either. The wet tips clustered together in the way gelled tips to and felt noticeably different than the rest of the hair. It performed very well. I just did not care for the gelled feel.
The tips on mine don’t clump together, and they aren’t hooked either.

I too have a Plisson European White in size 12 and it's one amazing brush for face lathering. It's a scrubby brush with medium dense knot and medium backbone. I think the loft is perfect and it's not floppy at all. Only downside for me is the price for Plisson brushes as i paid 245€ for mine. Haven't tried their European Grey but i'm definitely interested to get one at some point if the price is right.

Here's a picture of my brush
plissonew-jpg.1102618

I read all these comments but remain a bit dizzy. I’m considering Plisson octagonal palladium with European White 12. There is excellent local offer at some 230$. I’m also impressed by the idea of replaceable knots. I like soft but I don’t want stay with floppy super gentle brush which is not sufficiently dense. I prefer hard soaps over any shaving creams. Splashing gentle brush may probably ruin its form.

Do I exaggerate?

Or maybe I should look at their Grey or synthetic?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I have a Size 12 HMW Horn (sold a Size 16). Excellent brush, never had a problem making lather, but it is VERY floppy. If you don't like floppy, then Plisson HMW is not for you.
No idea what their other hair grades are like.

You might consider one of Rudy’s brushes with 2-band shavemac knot.

Another choice is Mondial 1908. My Mondial is HMW with olive wood handle. Soft tips but lots of backbone without the stiffness an overstuffed brush can have.

To me these two are very similar in use—that is to say, effective and enjoyable.

What you describe wanting in a brush is a perfect match for a Rudy Vey STF 25mm with 54mm loft. I have two and they are my favorite brushes. Dense with lots of backbone.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I recently purchased a HMW size 12 in a horn handle. Cost me AU $712.00.
I expected it to be the best in my collection.
It is so floppy as to be useless.
I told that to Plisson customer service. There response was zero.
It's not as floppy as a Kent. I had one in size 12 and sold it. Not because of the flop. I HATED the gelled to oblivion tips. I no longer will buy a badger that has been mistreated (gelled) to the point it's painfully obvious. Some might sneak one by me, but anything that looks and acts like the Poisson is a hard pass.

Not really surprised at the response. I think they are trying to cater to a demographic that really doesn't care a bit about the value, only the name.

Top Bottom