What's new

Simpsons Super Experiences

I thought 3 months in to DE shaving, that I would be smart, save some money and jump to the chase and buy a Simpsons Duke 3 two band Silvertip and a M7 Manchurian. So I skipped both Best and Super grades of Simpsons brushes. Fast forward 9 months after trying a few Thater 2-bands, a Shavemac 2-band, I bought my first Simpsons Best, a Classic 2. I liked the brush so much I picked up a Classic 2 in Super. This is exactly what I like.

I love my Duke 3 two band, but I think my Classic 2 Super may be even better. I am looking to try another Super that is not a Chubby. The Classic 2 Super is pretty dense, and the knot is bigger than a Chubby 1. I think a Chubby 2 would be too big because I usually sport a goatee more than 6 months of the year.

What would be a must have Simpsons Super that is not a Chubby?

Sidenote: I am in GRUME for October, so this might be a November purchase and hopefully a Black Friday deal!

Edited to add: I mostly facelather, and only use my scuttle in the colder Canadian winter December through February!

I love my Emperor 2 in Super to death but if you like density (like your Classic 2) it may not cut it for ya.
If you like your M7 you can always pick one up in Super. Or get a Tulip.

Or all of them.

I have a couple of Simpsons Eagle G3s with Super knots (24mm, so might be a good size for you). I think it’s a cool handle. Faux ebony and faux ivory, livin’ together in perfect faux harmony.

2D3DD553-763A-4759-A016-F90E8E639898.jpeg

I love my Emperor 2 in Super to death but if you like density (like your Classic 2) it may not cut it for ya.
If you like your M7 you can always pick one up in Super. Or get a Tulip.

Or all of them.
Lol, thanks 'Or all of them' is how I usually roll! My M7 Manchurian is nice and scrubby, but I think I prefer the Best grade when I like scrubby. The Tulip is interesting and the Harvard but you do not see many reviews on them.

I have a couple of Simpsons Eagle G3s with Super knots (24mm, so might be a good size for you). I think it’s a cool handle. Faux ebony and faux ivory, livin’ together in perfect faux harmony.

View attachment 1531400
Those are gorgeous! I was thinking about that because they are really similar to the Classic 2 and I just got a Rudy Vey Muhle STF with a similar handle and I love it. I really like the faux ebony.

I am an I/T nerd so I like standards. My best brushes are faux ivory, my super are faux ebony! Have you measured your G3's?

My Classic 2's and Duke 3's are over spec. Simpsons has them them listed at CL2 23/44 and D2 23/46 but when I measure them they are CL2 24/46 and D3 25/47. The ratios are close to a .02 % difference so for me, I think it works out!

I was also thinking about an Eagle 2 but that is Chubby 1 territory.

Are there many Tulip 4, Harvard 5, Polo 8, Captain 2, Persian Jar 3 owners?

Reactions: cf1
Those are gorgeous! I was thinking about that because they are really similar to the Classic 2 and I just got a Rudy Vey Muhle STF with a similar handle and I love it. I really like the faux ebony.

I am an I/T nerd so I like standards. My best brushes are faux ivory, my super are faux ebony! Have you measured your G3's?

My Classic 2's and Duke 3's are over spec. Simpsons has them them listed at CL2 23/44 and D2 23/46 but when I measure them they are CL2 24/46 and D3 25/47. The ratios are close to a .02 % difference so for me, I think it works out!

I was also thinking about an Eagle 2 but that is Chubby 1 territory.

I measured the G3 knots for you and the ivory is 24x46mm and the ebony is 24.5x47mm. So both very close to the quoted 24mm size, but slightly lower than the quoted 49mm loft.

Definitely not nearly as big as my Chubby 2.

I measured the G3 knots for you and the ivory is 24x46mm and the ebony is 24.5x47mm. So both very close to the quoted 24mm size, but slightly lower than the quoted 49mm loft.

Definitely not nearly as big as my Chubby 2.
Thank you sir! I appreciate it! G3 is a contender. The actual measurements are really close to my C2!

AH, Simpsons options!! So many choices, so little time!

That said, my current Simpsons:
Chubby 1 best
Duke 2 best
Wee Scot best
57 best
Tulip 2 super
Tulip 3 super

I have had other Simpsons and 2-bands, but none of these will leave the den! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
I read a lot of your posts recommending the 57. I ended up picking up a 58 because the published spec had shorter loft then the 57. I am trying to stay in the range of 2.1 to 1 ( loft to knot ) and 1.9 to 1 ratios. It seems to be a sweet spot for me.

My current line up of Simpsons are:
Classic 2 - Best
Classic 2 - Super
Duke 3 - Best
Duke 3 - 2-band
58 - Best
M7 - Manchurian

I picked up the Classic 2 as my first Best grade and loved it so I picked up the Duke 3 Best and 58 Best to compare the different lofts. Even though they have the same knot size, the loft differences really change how they feel on the face.

At some point I will pick up another Simpsons in super but I am trying to avoid a bespoke order, to keep costs down. I think a Duke 3 in Super might be ideal, but the Tulips are calling to me too.

How do your Tulips compare to the Duke 2 and 57?

If you go to the Simpsons website click shop > brushes > Super (Silvertip) Badger you'll get all the currently available Super Badgers.

Had a T1 and currently a G3 Super. The shorter loft on the G3 does give it some backbone, texture and tip feel for a sweet 3 band brush. Frankly I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it's a keeper.

Never have tried a Paladin but there`s a some available on BST right now at attractive prices. So I had to. The most common knot K7 is suppose to be lightly treated, not the usual gel-tip. Just in case you need another rabbit hole...

The Tulip 1 and 2 are probably my favorite Simpsons (Chubby 1 super is right with them). I owned and sold a Tulip 3 and 4...the handles on the 3 and 4 were just way to chunky for my taste.

For reference, I have owned 20+ Simpsons over the years in all of the hair grades. Like you, Super is my favorite.

The Tulip 1 and 2 can do about anything imho. I only face lather fwiw.

So I ended up going with a Duke 3 in Super to compliment my Classic 2 in Super. I really love the Classic 2 and have only used the Duke 3 once so far but it is really soft.

I will alternate between these 2 brushes next week and keep this thread updated with the similarities and differences I find!
IMG_20221124_151946.jpg

The specs of each brush from the Simpsons websites:

Duke 3 - 93mm tall, 46mm loft and 23mm knot
Classic 2 - 85mm tall, 44mm loft and 23mm knot

I measured them with calipers at home when the knots were dry and this is what I came up with:

Duke 3 - 93mm tall, 46mm loft and 24.5mm knot
Classic 2 - 87mm tall, 46mm loft and 24mm knot

My Duke 3 Super measures smaller than both of my Duke 3's in 2 band and Best. These both measure 94mm tall, 47mm loft and 25mm knots.

Last edited:
I've not tried either of the brushes you have in Super. I've tried the Duke in the standard Best and Pure, and enjoyed them. I'm sure the Duke in Super is great, but await your report :popc:

I really like the old two-band super, I have a Polo 8 in it. Great hair, too bad they not longer offering this hair.
I have a Polo 8 in Superbadger as well. I used it today in fact and it was a real pleasure. I do, however, think the Polo 8 is best used as a bowl latherer due to its taller height relative to many other Simpsons like the Duke 3. I happen to own two of the latter, in Best and Manchurian.

I read a lot of your posts recommending the 57. I ended up picking up a 58 because the published spec had shorter loft then the 57. I am trying to stay in the range of 2.1 to 1 ( loft to knot ) and 1.9 to 1 ratios. It seems to be a sweet spot for me.

My current line up of Simpsons are:
Classic 2 - Best
Classic 2 - Super
Duke 3 - Best
Duke 3 - 2-band
58 - Best
M7 - Manchurian

I picked up the Classic 2 as my first Best grade and loved it so I picked up the Duke 3 Best and 58 Best to compare the different lofts. Even though they have the same knot size, the loft differences really change how they feel on the face.

At some point I will pick up another Simpsons in super but I am trying to avoid a bespoke order, to keep costs down. I think a Duke 3 in Super might be ideal, but the Tulips are calling to me too.

How do your Tulips compare to the Duke 2 and 57?

I could ‘live’ with a rotation of Duke 2 best, 57 best, T3 super and T2 super: enough variation and quality to keep this old guy happy! Each of these brushes is different and definitely a ‘keeper!’ :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

I could ‘live’ with a rotation of Duke 2 best, 57 best, T3 super and T2 super: enough variation and quality to keep this old guy happy! Each of these brushes is different and definitely a ‘keeper!’ :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
I get that!! The 58, Classic 2 and Duke 3 all have the same knot diameter, but different lofts. They are all similar yet different enough. I guess I am set in my ways, so this satisfies my "comfortable variability" 😄

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've got a Chubby 1, a Chubby 2, an Eagle G3, an M7, and an Emperor 3 in Super. The Eagle, M7, and Chubby 1 are used all the time. The Chubby 2 only gets used 3-4 times a year, when the mood for a huge soft brush is on me. I can't remember the last time I used the Emperor. It isn't dense enough for me, although many love their Emperors.

Top Bottom