What's new

Chateau Rollin 1981

So, we had that bottle for a while, and I was pretty much certain it would be a goner -- no idea if it had been stored properly to start with (before us).

Also, I stopped drinking (completely) in january, so there was very little to drink in the house AND -- it's my wife birthday so she proposed we tried this one, because well, it's likely not going to be drinkable anyway!

We have a ham on the bone, so I cut some, just in case you know, better be ready! I also took the longest, best corkscrew I have (which is also the oldest obviously!).

I took the cork off, and I *very* hopeful there, because the cork was 1) whole, and 2) had some 'clean' cork left, but really like 5mm of it, so perhaps it was too late, but there was some hope to it.

Pouring it, well it was a bit on the honey side,that goe me a bit worried. First nose in was... not too bad, well it had been corked for 41 years so there was a bit of residue, but it wasn't *completely* gone I felt, it seemed to be wanting to clear too. First sip confirmed that, clearly in need of oxygen, a bit agressive for the first 1/2 second, then surprisingly mellow and light.

We left the glass there while we attacked the ham, and had another go a bit later and it did not only develop nicely, the 'kick' disappeared entirely and it developed beautifully in the mouth, pretty much the perfect vintage bordeaux aromas one come to expect.

A real nectar!

So I'm on my second glass, and definitely a bit on a high -- luckily tomorrow is back to the normal non-alcoholic regime, which I rather enjoy now -- but for that sort of bottle, I *had* to make an exception, didn't I?

On a side note, it is incredible to have such a 'time capsule' to reminisce with. In 1981 I was 11 years old, life was easy and simple.

1664304336911.png

Good notes. Thanks for sharing. Amazing that wine held up! Congrats. I have poured a fair number of "82 Bordeauxs down the sink! My bad for not drinking them sooner and/or not storing them better.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So I'm on my second glass, and definitely a bit on a high

Rollin' rollin' rollin', keep them glasses rollin' ...

1664479306077.png

luckily tomorrow is back to the normal non-alcoholic regime, which I rather enjoy now -- but for that sort of bottle, I *had* to make an exception, didn't I?

Amen!

Amazing that wine held up! Congrats. I have poured a fair number of "82 Bordeauxs down the sink! My bad for not drinking them sooner and/or not storing them better.

I had a bottle of 1988 Gressier Grand Poujeaux the other week. Sadly, when I pulled the cork it was wet all the way to the top, and the contents ... while they had not yet turned to vinegar ... were dull, flat and wooden.

I had been keeping a number of bottles of claret from 86, 88, and 90 for a long long time, and this was the last of them. I had been drinking the others over the past year or so, and they had been pretty darn good but this one ... oh well.

1988 Gressier Grand Poujeaux
That is sad. The internet seems to say that that wine should have held for quite a few more years. Of course, it says the same thing about the '82s I have had to pitch, too. Of course, for your bottle you could blame that on a bad cork!

My overall experience is to drink them younger rather than older. Maybe my storage is not the best. There is something special about a wine that has aged well.

On the other hand, I have had wines I thought would be far beyond their drink by dates be fine or way better than fine. (Not every red wine improves with age!) I had a 1977 (maybe it was '78) Trefethen Napa cab that I would have said was way too fruit forward to survive in any respect forty some years--forty some years, it hurts me to say that!--that drank just fine. It had lost some fruit, but some structure came through. I have had ports that should have aged for many more decades get very thin in the bottle, even when the cork seemed good.

Don't do what I do.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I had a 1977 (maybe it was '78) Trefethen Napa cab that I would have said was way too fruit forward to survive in any respect forty some years--forty some years, it hurts me to say that!

1664484804250.png

"Old sonoma, what wine cellars in yonder chateau?"
"Napa!"
"Napa, sorry."
"What wine cellars in ..."
"I'm not old!"
"What?"
"I'm not old, I'm a '77!"

Top Bottom