What's new

September 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

And your leadership continued during your silence how cool is that. We had some casualties along the way, but we carried them with us so everybody is still here.
I did notice that the thread continued unabated, even without my presence to stimulate, well, anything. I take that as a great sign, showing that we have built a great little community inside the larger community. People come and go, but the spirit persists, so I’m calling it a win.

Onward!

Date:25.09.2022
Focused participations:25/30 Days in GRUME (formally out at 3.3% but no new purchases)
268/268 in 365 days of shaving (100%)
Other participations:Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Shave of the Week Society
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Personna Red Israeli (9)
Brush:De Vergulde Hand
Soap:Haslinger Sandelholz
Bowl:Kox Enamel
Preshave:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Postshave:Chanel Allure (Balm)
Passes:WTG | ATG + Jaw touch up
Efficiency:9/10 (15 minutes)
Quality:8/10 (Couple of tiny weepers)
Comfort:8/10 (Light scraping sensation)
Effectiveness:9/10 (BBS)

It was the blade so after the shave I retired it. No need to worry as brother @JAHE provided me with a couple of cases of Personna’s - so life is good. I think 7 is about the amount for me per blade.

Everything else was the same being in SWS (cannot make any promises for tomorrow!). The Flatboy is an amazingly effective razor. Two passes and some jaw touch up and I am done. Only the R41 in my collection can rival with that and I find the R41 more comfortable at the moment - but that could have been the blade again. Paired with a Dorco Titan the Flatboy is about as smooth.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Still in!

20220924_113628-01-01.jpeg

Outing number 5 with the Titan blade, another brilliant shave. I chose a demanding razor today. The Timeless Slim .5 OC reveals any lack of sharpness of a blade immedialety. Not the case today. I'll definitely add a bulk of this blades to my stash. Thanks again @Guido75 for bringing this blade to my attention.

The combo performed gracefully today and mowed down three days worth of growth with ease. Needless to say a BBS shave was achieved essily, two passes plus touch-up. Stunning.
Applying a shallow angle is the way to go with this plate, I hardly could feel the blade this way.

A word of praise goes out to Declaration Grooming... is there any slicker soap base out there? Great, great low structure lather performance 👍 - and what a beautifully composed scent.

Have a great Sunday, y'all!

Last edited:
Thanks again @Guido75 for bringing this blade to my attention.
You are most welcome Guido and with 5 shaves on this one blade you are only half way! You should be able to make it at least to 7-8 (given your remark on the Personna), but until now 10 is my comfort zone. Haven’t tried it beyond that.

Curious to know what your definition of bulk is. 100? Or more?

Guido

Last edited:
You are most welcome Guido and with 5 shaves on this one blade you are only half way! You should be able to make it at least to 7-8 (given your remark on the Personna), but until now 10 is my comfort zone. Haven’t tried it beyond that.

Curious to know what your definition of bull is. 100? Or more?

Guido
I hear you. I didn't notice any significant loss of sharpness until today, so I definitely see 7+ shaves with this blade.

A bulk is 100. If I happen to apply restraint I'll stick with one bulk. Might factor in shipping costs, though...

I hear you. I didn't notice any significant loss of sharpness until today, so I definitely see 7+ shaves with this blade.

A bulk is 100. If I happen to apply restraint I'll stick with one bulk. Might factor in shipping costs, though...
Based on my current inventory it is my most favoured blade with 390 or so to go :blush: I was tempted to buy another tuck until I met 'the look' on my way to my debit card :001_wub:.

Guido.

Hey, all, thanks for the well-wishing and sorry about any worries caused. I have been in a very busy period at work - a key employee left, so I get to do her job and mine as we head into the holidays (I work in ecommerce). And then there was the trip with SWMBO, which was great, and I tried really hard to truly unplug and enjoy Kauai. Of course, there's no (long-term) rest for the weary, so I came back to 800+ unread emails, loads of questions about my staff's work, analysis and feedback to give to keep my third-party service provider projects moving and...yeah, real life.

Unfortunately, that meant rationing my time, and I just couldn't keep up with B&B. I'm off to LA for a conference Monday through Wednesday, but I'm using a little weekend time to catch up on this thread and other things. I'm going to go through and collate all the "outs", so look for a Roll Call pretty soon here. I'm also going to start the October GRUME thread and, well, I guess that I need to get in and update the Tabactober thread, too!
If you ever need back up, let me know!! I covered for @JAHE for Tallow Tabac Tuesdays when he was on vacation!!

Still in...
Feather ACD-R (wtg) + Dorco BB-20 SE (8)
Feather AS-D2 (xtg) + Dorco STP-301 (8)
Cella (268) in a hammered copper bowl
Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2-Band Badger

I grabbed these Dorco SE blades during a Black Friday 2018 purchase and today was the final shave with the last of them. It was a good run but now I get a chance to use the Feather, Kai, and Schick blades in my stash.

Be well and stay safe...

The 25th day of GRUME
SWS, day 2

PXL_20220925_130751877.PORTRAIT.jpg

Gilette Super Speed
Nacet blade (#22!)
Proraso White (sensitive)
Evo brush

Hey Guys
Today was all about attention, appreciation and satisfaction...and focusing on the basics of good technique.

I previously mentioned difficulty getting the new EVO 2.0 brush to splay properly. Guess what, I spent about 3 minutes applying the first lather. That is about 3X as much time I have lathered in the past. The brush splayed, dabbed, painted and applied beautifully. The brush hasn't changed, but I think I am learning to use the brush with improved "brushing" skills.

I enjoyed the process of building a lather in a bowl. The white cream had a nice sheen and I actually "looked" at how nice a pure white lather can appear.

Day 22 with the Nacet blade! I used "no pressure" short strokes and skin tightening maneuvers.

I think it is going to be a good week using this razor and cream combo.
I am using thumbnail photos because the only hardware changes this week will be the brush.

Good Day!

The 25th day of GRUME
SWS, day 2

View attachment 1528350

Gilette Super Speed
Nacet blade (#22!)
Proraso White (sensitive)
Evo brush

Hey Guys
Today was all about attention, appreciation and satisfaction...and focusing on the basics of good technique.

I previously mentioned difficulty getting the new EVO 2.0 brush to splay properly. Guess what, I spent about 3 minutes applying the first lather. That is about 3X as much time I have lathered in the past. The brush splayed, dabbed, painted and applied beautifully. The brush hasn't changed, but I think I am learning to use the brush with improved "brushing" skills.

I enjoyed the process of building a lather in a bowl. The white cream had a nice sheen and I actually "looked" at how nice a pure white lather can appear.

Day 22 with the Nacet blade! I used "no pressure" short strokes and skin tightening maneuvers.

I think it is going to be a good week using this razor and cream combo.
I am using thumbnail photos because the only hardware changes this week will be the brush.

Good Day!
Is that the purple veteran EVO 2? I think I had one in my cart in August but didn't pull the trigger.

Well I wouldn't want you to break GRUME - so you don't have to order. I just did it for you (I was already out of GRUME anyway, but hey this is a PIF - so I am only out once :cuppa:). Keep an eye out for the mailman!

My Sunday gift to you, because you have amazing razors and post fantastic pictures. And I like your name!

Guido (the older one of the two :biggrin1:).

My brothers I need your support! A week ago I started chatting with a fellow board member about 7/8 W&B razors (there are always a few of these available so n eBay). In particular we discussed a few particular razors up for sale with the conclusion that they were slightly overpriced. So this morning I wake up to find that this particular seller was offering me a 30% discount. Making it now a “good price”. What to do?

My plan of this moment is to hold. If the razor goes to someone else, well there WILL be other razors like this I can buy in the future. And I do already have 1 W&B 7/8 (shown off yesterday). Definitely not a grail razor, definitely not a unicorn. This is the sort of thing that GRUME is about, right?😀

Anyway, as of right now STILL IN!

Today another Sheffield, Fred Fenny Magnum Bonum. I also finally killed off the sample of Scotch Pine Sheep w/ Orange (I finally looked up the actual name of this soap). So all new equipment tomorrow as I will change the brush as well.

945E333C-FD22-4FE1-8BAB-BD96E7C75EE1.jpeg

Top Bottom