What's new

first shave with the King C. Gillette - not bad!

I had my first shave with the new King C. Gillette razor I picked up the other day. I also used the included Gillette blades. Not too bad once I figured out how to hold it due to the awkward knurling placement on the handle. Even considering this I had a very decent three-pass shave using the lovely Proraso green soap with a vintage Made Rite 649 badger brush and finished off with a splash of Thayer's face toner and good old Skin Bracer. I'd say it does as good a job as any of my vintage Gillette Techs. I am not sure about the Gillette blade though. It was my first time using one. I am not sure if it's any better or worse than the Wilkinsons or Shaverboy blades I am used to using. The first shave was good, but I will keep using it to see how long it lasts. :thumbsup:

IMG-20220922-103334.jpg

I had my first shave with the new King C. Gillette razor I picked up the other day. I also used the included Gillette blades. Not too bad once I figured out how to hold it due to the awkward knurling placement on the handle. Even considering this I had a very decent three-pass shave using the lovely Proraso green soap with a vintage Made Rite 649 badger brush and finished off with a splash of Thayer's face toner and good old Skin Bracer. I'd say it does as good a job as any of my vintage Gillette Techs. I am not sure about the Gillette blade though. It was my first time using one. I am not sure if it's any better or worse than the Wilkinsons or Shaverboy blades I am used to using. The first shave was good, but I will keep using it to see how long it lasts. :thumbsup:

View attachment 1526684
Very nice kit for sure….I purchased a KCG razor and blades several years ago at a local Walgreens and I must say it’s not a bad little razor at all doggone it!!!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

View attachment 1526684
You're not the only one that thinks the handle is a little hinky!

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

View attachment 1526684
I enjoy my KCG. Wishing you many happy shaves, sir!

I had a couple of nights in hospital last week and took my unused KCG with me, as I didn't want to take a razor that I would weep for if it got lost. Well, for the life of me I just couldn't hold onto it. I can't think of another razor that I own, and there are plenty, that has a more slippery handle. I find it hard to believe that others don't have the same issue, but I've only rarely heard it mentioned. Shame because it provides a very decent mild shave.

You're not the only one that thinks the handle is a little hinky!

Indeed! I have read many discussions about the handle and it's knurling. I have been shaving with a DE for almost 2 years, so I think my technique is pretty solid now. However, I found that if I hold the KCG further up the handle where the knurling is between my thumb and index finger, I can get a good grip and still achieve the proper angle. It's feels more balanced that way as well. People think this razor is not meant for face shaving but for edging and neck shaving so that's why the handle is designed that way. I managed to get a pretty close shave with it and the Gillette blade. I also really like its shiny new chrome finish. :thumbsup:

I had a couple of nights in hospital last week and took my unused KCG with me, as I didn't want to take a razor that I would weep for if it got lost. Well, for the life of me I just couldn't hold onto it. I can't think of another razor that I own, and there are plenty, that has a more slippery handle. I find it hard to believe that others don't have the same issue, but I've only rarely heard it mentioned. Shame because it provides a very decent mild shave.

Yes, I too found it slippery at first and had to fight it but eventually found a way to hold it and I was able to not have it spin around and cut me or drop it. :eek2:

People think this razor is not meant for face shaving but for edging and neck shaving so that's why the handle is designed that way.
Gillette have marketed the razor as a beard edging tool so I can see how the confusion may arise.
I am confused why that style of handle suits beard edging and neck shaving though. It is not an ergonomic design by any stretch of the imagination.
I think you will find those blades top tier but very expensive. Some say it is similar to the Gillette Platinum.

Gillette have marketed the razor as a beard edging tool so I can see how the confusion may arise.
Right. Wouldn't want everyone buying this razor to actually shave their faces with it. Everyone knows you need the super expensive cartridges for that. LOL!

It makes me wonder how this specific DE razor fits into their overall marketing strategy. Don't want people to know that this "edging" tool, properly wielded, works better than their expensive cartridges...

That’s interesting, I bought mine earlier this year and they will thread right on. I wonder if Gillette made a change at some point?

I used a thread checker and the threads on the King C. head and handle are 5mm-.80 on this one.

I replaced the original King C. handle with a slightly shorter one with better knurling from a cheap 3-piece razor I found at a discount store for $3.50. It screwed on with no problem. :thumbsup:

IMG_20220930_183559.jpg

Top Bottom