What's new

Phoenixkh: An Old Man's Continuum....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, we’re sitting at Gate6, about an hour away from boarding the first flight of our trip home. 8hours and 55 minutes to Dubai. A shorter lay-over: only 3.5 hours instead of 7.5, which is nice.

Then the long slog: 13 hours and 55 minutes to JFK. Three hours in NY and the last 3 hour flight to Orlando: only 2.5 hours from home.

Probably TMI but there’s a reason we didn’t meet any other Americans in the 28 days we were in Bali. It isn’t a pleasant experience.

But my teeth look nice and we had a lot of fun in between appointments.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Safe travels! I know the routine well, having flown to China and Hong Kong four times, 14 hours an 30 minutes unless you catch the Jet Stream...

I used to tell folks I would call myself at 9:00pm Sunday the day I left, get home the same Sunday around 4:00pm and wait for the phone to ring. :letterk1:

~doug~

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We got home last night (well, this morning, actually) just after 2AM.... LOL... Flight delay out of JFK to Orlando.... then, get this... it took us 1.5 hours to get our car. I made the mistake of believing reviews of a "Best prices" remote/off site shuttle service. It looked ok when we got there so I figured, how complicated can this get? Well, I saved a few dollars a day but when we got our checked luggage, I texted them.... we walked out to the pick-up location. There were around 30 people standing there.... I didn't count. But the service only had one semi-broken down van picking people up. We had to wait until her 4th trip back. I felt bad for the lady driver. No one was happy. You could tell... we were all first time users and will never use them again.

So, was I able to avoid opening all the razors waiting for me and just get some sleep? You know the answer, of course. Every one was opened and inspected. As expected, Chris' work was impeccable. All the razors are pristine.

Then the Blutt came next. Unimpressive packaging but not off-putting. That's the first razor I'm going to try: I think I'll use the .86 base plate first for a frame of reference. I opened the RazoRock Lupo 95OC next. It's a very nice looking razor for its price point. I'll do the same with it... start with the .72 bottom plate and see how it goes: then tackle the 95OC... though OCtober is approaching. hmmmmm we'll see. I only have two OC razors so I'm not going to commit to only using OC razors in October but I will be following the thread.

Finally, the Pearl Flexi. Incredibly nice packaging for such an inexpensive razor. I can confirm what so many people has posted: this is one "Heavy" razor. It's very well balanced. The Flexi is my first adjustable. The adjustments are smooth and not too easily done... no worries about the settings changing during its use.

Photos: well, @Cal and @Chan Eil Whiskers both use light boxes so while I was away, I ordered one from Amazon. I'm going to attempt to use it soon... I'm a bit jet lagged at the moment. Not too bad though. We both drifted off around 4AM but woke up at 8AM, so that's actually a good sign that we are already adjusting. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some photos posted.

I am soooooo glad to be home. We had a blast and I have teeth now.... but man, we are happy to be in our own place again. ;)

We got home last night (well, this morning, actually) just after 2AM.... LOL... Flight delay out of JFK to Orlando.... then, get this... it took us 1.5 hours to get our car. I made the mistake of believing reviews of a "Best prices" remote/off site shuttle service. It looked ok when we got there so I figured, how complicated can this get? Well, I saved a few dollars a day but when we got our checked luggage, I texted them.... we walked out to the pick-up location. There were around 30 people standing there.... I didn't count. But the service only had one semi-broken down van picking people up. We had to wait until her 4th trip back. I felt bad for the lady driver. No one was happy. You could tell... we were all first time users and will never use them again.

So, was I able to avoid opening all the razors waiting for me and just get some sleep? You know the answer, of course. Every one was opened and inspected. As expected, Chris' work was impeccable. All the razors are pristine.

Then the Blutt came next. Unimpressive packaging but not off-putting. That's the first razor I'm going to try: I think I'll use the .86 base plate first for a frame of reference. I opened the RazoRock Lupo 95OC next. It's a very nice looking razor for its price point. I'll do the same with it... start with the .72 bottom plate and see how it goes: then tackle the 95OC... though OCtober is approaching. hmmmmm we'll see. I only have two OC razors so I'm not going to commit to only using OC razors in October but I will be following the thread.

Finally, the Pearl Flexi. Incredibly nice packaging for such an inexpensive razor. I can confirm what so many people has posted: this is one "Heavy" razor. It's very well balanced. The Flexi is my first adjustable. The adjustments are smooth and not too easily done... no worries about the settings changing during its use.

Photos: well, @Cal and @Chan Eil Whiskers both use light boxes so while I was away, I ordered one from Amazon. I'm going to attempt to use it soon... I'm a bit jet lagged at the moment. Not too bad though. We both drifted off around 4AM but woke up at 8AM, so that's actually a good sign that we are already adjusting. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some photos posted.

I am soooooo glad to be home. We had a blast and I have teeth now.... but man, we are happy to be in our own place again. ;)
I thought you only just had some replating done - but you went full out and got a whole den! Wow!! We need pictures!!!!

Enjoy and glad to see you are home safely.

Guido

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
How many new razors, Kim (including replated as new of course)?

You're going to love having a light box! Put it somewhere convenient to the shaving den and put it somewhere it can be permanently set up so you can do daily photos of stuff for me to ogle.

Glad you're safe at home with teeth.

Maybe write a bad review of the parking service to warn others, if you think of it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
How many new razors, Kim (including replated as new of course)?

You're going to love having a light box! Put it somewhere convenient to the shaving den and put it somewhere it can be permanently set up so you can do daily photos of stuff for me to ogle.

Glad you're safe at home with teeth.

Maybe write a bad review of the parking service to warn others, if you think of it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Three new razors: two more than the original plan of the Blutt BR-1, but neither were that expensive. Sort of a check-out aisle impulse buy. Both you and @LRod had good things to say about the Pearl Flexi and I don't have an adjustable so I thought "why not?". I think the RR Lupo 95OC might be a bit too much for me, initially... so I got the 72SB as well. They are coming out with a 72OC in a few months. That might be the perfect fit for me at this point. Who knows?

I sure have a lot to learn about DE shaving. I'm a fish out of water at this point, but I plan to mainly use DEs for the rest of the year so perhaps by the end of the first quarter next year, I'll have a better feel for what works for me. I do have enough variety of DE blades to accomplish that, I think. I already had Astra Greens and Personna Labs Blues. I added Wizamet based on your usage and when I got the British Flat Bottom Tech, Cal suggested I try the KCG blades. David / @never-stop-learning uses Kai blades in his Techs, so I ordered some of those (what a disaster for me, as you probably recall... maybe later). While I was away, I had some 7 o'clock blacks delivered along with some Gillette Platinum Blue Lights.

Top Bottom