What's new

Iphone upgrade what do you do ?

so not sure if this is the correct forum ?

curious if any of you update often or more like me when they finally quit working ? or are not supported with new OS

but finally got a new iphone 14 pro yesterday and came from a 6s+ which the guy at the counter was like WOW with a laugh we don't see those old phones that often hahahaha

I just have little reason to upgrade but the new one is insane quicker of course a duh statement ;) the camera is so much nicer but as a full time photographer for 20+ yrs I have other cameras and really just use them for basic stuff
but am thinking I might use it more for fun ? we shall see
I just text when I have to but prefer to call my friends etc.. and yeah it texts the same calls the same :) hahhaahha I check my bank account and a few other things sure most of us do ? I just really do not push them ? but the bloated apps get more complicated and slow down of course on the older so it has been a WOW this thing is nice experience and glad I did get a new one !
the biggest thing for me will be battery life !

I love tech though in computers and other things BUT phones are so distracting to so many these days from driving to any event people just see the event through their phone rather than just experiencing that moment without distractions :)
maybe this is from me shooting so many events and I see folks living through their phone

or maybe its just some of us who grew up without them do not care as much ?

These days a phone is a computer in your pocket. Flagship phones have similar computing power as some PCs; crazy right. Phones have become so good the last year or two, the average consumer doesn't need to upgrade often. The biggest advancements now and in the future for phones are the cameras. Hopefully better battery tech as well.

Phones literally killed the consumer point and shoot camera market.

These days a phone is a computer in your pocket. Flagship phones have similar computing power as some PCs; crazy right. Phones have become so good the last year or two, the average consumer doesn't need to upgrade often. The biggest advancements now and in the future for phones are the cameras. Hopefully better battery tech as well.

Phones literally killed the consumer point and shoot camera market.
yeah agree with that point shoot for sure :) and the power !

I do think one reason I do not use mine that much is I work from home and use my Ipad so much or my computer and when I am out I am shooting so that phone camera is mute ;)

I reckon if i was out for the day working or like my daughter in college I would use my phone a LOT more as that is what I would have on me !

as far as cameras the old photographer saying I bought Mark Twains Typewriter and it still has not made me a good story :) so its not the gear its what you do with it :)
and that means also the best camera is the one that you have on you ! and like many pros when I go out for the day with family I only have my phone I don't bring my pro gear as its always there always ready and fits in my pocket !

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I usually keep mine until the provider offers a deal too good to pass up. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE and it works just fine, but it's too darn big in my pocket. I think my next phone will also be the iphone 14 pro (if that's the smallest option). I'd like the apple watch, and that needs to pair with an apple phone.

I have grandchildren who never seem to get their heads up out of the phone. Drives me crazy. My children are only a little better.

I usually run a phone into the ground. A couple of times I got lucky because my smaller carrier got bought out by a bigger name and I got a free phone with the switch. As far as new phones go, I buy last years model for much less than the latest and greatest and usually get them from a big box electronics store and have them activated. I have not had a contract in 20 years. I don't make payments on phones. I don't buy insurance.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I been an iPhone user since the first one back in 07. Over the past decade I have been waiting every 2 years to upgrade because that’s when the design of the phone would be different. iPhone 4 was a new design, iPhone 4S was just the same ole design but upgraded insides, but iPhone 6 was a new design. So I would just skip a year and wait for the new design on the phone. But lately they are all looking the same. So I went from the XS to the 12 Mini. Since they are all looking the same now I’ll probably just upgrade to the 14 Pro and stick with that for a few years. Really wish the were still making the Mini phones.

I upgraded to an Ihone 13 last week because the battery on my Iphone 7 was running down too quickly -- a simple text message (no photo) used up 10% of the battery charge so I figured it was time to move on. I ordered the phone online but went into the store first to compare the size to my 7 because I hate big phones and I'm not getting a holster. The guy at the store asked why I wanted a 13 when the 14 was coming out the next day and I just told him I'm a late adaptor. The new phone arrived in the mail and I think it sat on the counter and got moved around for about 5 days before my wife said I needed to activate it, "it's easy" she said, "it takes no time, and you can transfer all of your info without an issue," she said... three hours later (1.5 of it on a chat with the Sprint tech) the phone was working. The Iphone 13 is okay, but I miss my home button. To me the phone is just a tool, not a life style; making me old.

I upgraded to an Ihone 13 last week because the battery on my Iphone 7 was running down too quickly -- a simple text message (no photo) used up 10% of the battery charge so I figured it was time to move on. I ordered the phone online but went into the store first to compare the size to my 7 because I hate big phones and I'm not getting a holster. The guy at the store asked why I wanted a 13 when the 14 was coming out the next day and I just told him I'm a late adaptor. The new phone arrived in the mail and I think it sat on the counter and got moved around for about 5 days before my wife said I needed to activate it, "it's easy" she said, "it takes no time, and you can transfer all of your info without an issue," she said... three hours later (1.5 of it on a chat with the Sprint tech) the phone was working. The Iphone 13 is okay, but I miss my home button. To me the phone is just a tool, not a life style; making me old.
ahahahah OH can so relate to that with the battery and what I was also going through :)

I got my wife a 13 max (larger one) a while ago so kinda got a bit of idea of no home button from using hers and used to it quite well I also configured the back tap that helps get to home with two taps or my app switcher with 3 and getting used to it but the face id swipe up is not to bad

for me I got the regular size this time as with the case the things start getting quite large for the pocket :) I do like the larger screen but really I dont do much on them anyway :) and would rather have a smaller phone in the pocket

Legion

Staff member
I used to upgrade fairly regularly (at least every second model), but I’ve stopped that now and will probably keep my current phone until it breaks or is no longer supported (iPhone X).

My wife just had her 6s go wrong and got a 13. I see nothing her new phone has that I can’t live without.

6S to 14 is a good jump....I cant understand why some need to get the new one EVERY year.
But hey, its their money.

The only advice I will offer is: be wary about OS updates to get. I would turn off auto
updates to begin with....they say every update is critical or your risking blah blah blah.

But my view is that Apple uses OS updates to degrade and slow down your phone to
a crawl over the course of 2-3 years. This is how they force obsolescence.

I use iPhone X and still on iOS 12 while everyone current seems to be on 15....my
phone runs just fine and zippy as ever.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We upgraded from iPhone 6s-es several years ago to the 11 Pro Max. They are still both working very well. We might look for a sale at a competing service supplier that gives us free phones if we switch and upgrade to the 14 Pro Max series, or whatever they are calling it now. This won't happen for a few months until the newness wears off, I'm sure.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
6S to 14 is a good jump....I cant understand why some need to get the new one EVERY year.

The only advice I will offer is: be wary about OS updates to get. I would turn off auto
updates to begin with....they say every update is critical or your risking blah blah blah.

But my view is that Apple uses OS updates to degrade and slow down your phone to

I use iPhone X and still on iOS 12 while everyone current seems to be on 15....my
I’ve heard that claim before, but I have never experienced that in the 12 years I’ve used iPhones.

I upgrade when battery life gets intolerable. Then, I buy at least one model behind the current latest and greatest. My XR was purchased when the 12s were released.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I’ve heard that claim before, but I have never experienced that in the 12 years I’ve used iPhones.

I upgrade when battery life gets intolerable. Then, I buy at least one model behind the current latest and greatest. My XR was purchased when the 12s were released.
Agreed, I am no fan of Apple products but they certainly are supported for many years. IOS 15 was supported on handsets as old as the iPhone 6 and iOS 16 will run on an iPhone 8. The latest Macbook OS 12.x runs on devices from 2016. Apple has confirmed that they implement 'performance management', or slowing, on older handsets due to their battery degrading but a new battery is known to remedy that. If they wanted to force obsolescence they could do as Microsoft and simply ensure their latest OS does not support all but the newest hardware. I certainly would install any and all security updates.

thanks :) depends on if its a security update or not for me :)

I am a huge tech guy but just not into phones :)
Mac guy but worked with PC some to :) even built some clustered node servers etc..

the work from home play with other toys in place of my phone :)

the slow down yeah agree building in new things that can only rely on newer chips power of them etc.. is the main reason I reckon that happens just doing so much
also for other apps I think so much just relies on the new chips to be faster so lazy to optimize the apps happens OR trying to do so many things that nobody really asked for in some cases !

the other tech trend I hate is the whole subscription things ! arrgghhhhhhhhhh

agree on battery

I do think the OS as said above gets to the point it does get slower more based on what its doing and ditto for some apps I use that again lazy coding and or just doing so much more get slow

BUT also when the OS not supported anymore
like I could not update my watch because I could not get on the new ios unless I did some stuff like make it standalone or to my wifes
so also that support of the stuff

reckon next time I might not go so long so I can get a trade in ?
would be interesting to do the math of upgrading every major model like someone said above skipping the + series etc.. and what it is to just wait and lay out so much more for larger jumps ?

sadly like the new subscription to your phone to keep current model and you never really own it yeah not a fan of that model and have it get out of control for everything

Last edited:
Agreed, I am no fan of Apple products but they certainly are supported for many years. IOS 15 was supported on handsets as old as the iPhone 6 and iOS 16 will run on an iPhone 8. The latest Macbook OS 12.x runs on devices from 2016. Apple has confirmed that they implement 'performance management', or slowing, on older handsets due to their battery degrading but a new battery is known to remedy that. If they wanted to force obsolescence they could do as Microsoft and simply ensure their latest OS does not support all but the newest hardware. I certainly would install any and all security updates.

agree on support

also you have to move forward in tech ! (from a companies perspective)

I think that is where MS got into to many issues trying to hold onto to much legacy support !

and when Apple jumped to the OS X as an example from OS9 and has done radical file system changes its often given enough support time to get to the next but folks like what they are used to
even jump forward to APFS not to long ago was huge but invisible to most :)

and of course Apples M chips are just freaking insane leap in chip technology and what they can do :) IMHO at least :)

I used to get flagship phones
Since I'm using my phone to browse internet, any phone is good
Now I have Poco X3 pro, nice phone, 2 day battery...
Nowdays any phone makes decent photos, so spending 999$ is wasted money, all that extra money could be used to get shaving equipment

As I said—I am on iOS 12+ when everyone is on 15+....the lack of security
updates hasn't caused any breaches that I know off. I take a lot of what apple,
the online apple fan club and tech experts promoting updates say with a pinch of salt.
No downside so far.

My 2018 MacBook Pro is still running like a champ on Mojave OS and no catastrophe
has occurred there either. Of course , those who want their security updates come what
may are welcome to them...I have not had any problems and my devices run for longer.

Top Bottom