What's new

Canada Tech

Hi all.
I finally managed to get myself a Canadian Tech and it looks pretty good. Still needs to be cleaned up a bit. But as I was comparing it to others on Mr. Razors' site I see a slight difference. Thanks to this site I've learned to look a little more closely nowadays.

In the picture, It looks to be a "Made in England" Handle but you can see the neck of the handle has a bit of a cut-in and then a bump-out before the narrowing of the neck going up toward the head. This handle is about as thick as a Contract handle.

If you feel this is a special handle, or maybe an aftermarket? Maybe a Frakenrazor because of the Made in Canada on the baseplate and the Made in England shaped handle please let me know. I'd like to know if it's the right one for sure. BTW, It's not Aluminum. Thanks...
Maybe this will be an excuse to find razor parts so I have two correct razors. LOL.

Gillette Tech Canada .jpg
IMG_20220921_082904419.jpg

Hi all.
I finally managed to get myself a Canadian Tech and it looks pretty good. Still needs to be cleaned up a bit. But as I was comparing it to others on Mr. Razors' site I see a slight difference. Thanks to this site I've learned to look a little more closely nowadays.

In the picture, It looks to be a "Made in England" Handle but you can see the neck of the handle has a bit of a cut-in and then a bump-out before the narrowing of the neck going up toward the head. This handle is about as thick as a Contract handle.

If you feel this is a special handle, or maybe an aftermarket? Maybe a Frakenrazor because of the Made in Canada on the baseplate and the Made in England shaped handle please let me know. I'd like to know if it's the right one for sure. BTW, It's not Aluminum. Thanks...
Maybe this will be an excuse to find razor parts so I have two correct razors. LOL.

View attachment 1525952View attachment 1525953
Hi Jerry. I think the handle is a legit Gillette English version of this handle
proxy.php

The Mr Razor site does a superb job of capturing as many of the more obscure variants as possible (and the site is still growing) but Gillette England and Gillette Canada seemed to have made a bewildering variety of handle types and local variants, not all recorded.

I recently picked up a Canadian Tech head, oval slots. It came with a 2 piece handle, but the knurling is very different to the Mr Razor examples shown, except for one, which is close, but is not an exact match.

I think your handle is a version of the above. I don't think it is another UK or Canadian razor brand. It looks Gillette.

Thanks for the reply. It is very close t the same. And I can see some being a little different so Im happy about that.

Except, the baseplate on mine says Made in Canada. Not England. I guess thats the biggest issue. I did get it from EU so... And England and Canada are under the same rule as far as i know.

So, is it two different made into one? Or is it possible the Canada model came with an England handle?

BTW, the shave was extremely mild. Two day beard took extra passes to work it down.

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi Hazmat,

I'd guess it was a mix and match.

Looks close to but not identical to my war time English handle.

20220922_001722.jpg
Check the scratch marks on the baseplate. If wider, then definitely not original.

Thanks for the reply. It is very close t the same. And I can see some being a little different so Im happy about that.

Except, the baseplate on mine says Made in Canada. Not England. I guess thats the biggest issue. I did get it from EU so... And England and Canada are under the same rule as far as i know.

So, is it two different made into one? Or is it possible the Canada model came with an England handle?

BTW, the shave was extremely mild. Two day beard took extra passes to work it down.
Does it say PAT.CANADA 1932 on the baseplate?

It could be post-war spare parts being sent from or to Canada-England or England-Canada. There is so many black holes in the stories of the Gillette factories and development and styles adopted in different countries with Gillette plants. Or it could be that a Canadian head was swapped out for an English handle.

Or it could be a Canadian made handle copying the English type that we have not seen before.

Last edited:
I will have to get back home but it does say 1932 and Canada. Iwill get a closer pic later. And take a look at scratch marks too. Good idea on that. I hadnt thought of that one

lasta

Blade Biter
Does it say PAT.CANADA 1932 on the baseplate?

It could be post-war spare parts being sent from or to Canada-England or England-Canada. There is so many black holes in the stories of the Gillette factories and development and styles adopted in different countries with Gillette plants. Or it could be that a Canadian head was swapped out for an English handle.

Or it could be a Canadian made handle copying the English type that we have not seen before.
Canadian? Copy? English? You are walking on slippery grounds mister:c8:

One of my post-war Canadian Techs came with this hollow handle.
I'm fond of it even though I'm pretty sure it's a Frankenstein.

full
That handle looks to be the same as the standard 7 O'clock handle, almost always seen on their open combs. It is the only pattern I have seen with them. It's a nice unfussy handle design.

PAT. Canada
Made in Canada
Gillette diamond logo

Thanks to everyone for the comments. And thanks to @nemo for nameing it. Tulip style neck. Thats just right. Explains it perfetly. BTW, my handle is solid for 3/4 of its length so its got a little weight. Razor is 63g.IMG_20220921_170940327.jpg

...Or it could be a Canadian made handle copying the English type that we have not seen before.

Im going with this option as the tulip neck makes it different than the standard English handle. And Im sticking to it. Ha.

Hi all.

View attachment 1525952View attachment 1525953
Nice looking tech

The patent on those for Canada is 1932. All the older Canadian Techs have that marking.

I have seen a lot of different handles on Canadian Techs. I have an aluminum ball-end that looks like the regular brass ball-end. Evidently there was a featherweight version of the Tech but mine does not have any other aluminum parts. There are several variations on the fat handle, too.

The one you have is a nice-looking handle. It reminds me of some of the UK designs, but I don't know whether it was offered in Canada, as well.

Top Bottom