What's new

What are Your Favorite Parts of our Shaving Hobby?

What are your favorite parts of our DE or SE shaving hobby? This can be anything from starting or taking a break from your day for zen like 10-20 minutes while shaving to specific elements of the process or the types of hardware (e.g. razors) or software (e.g. soaps, creams, blades that we use. I'll start.

My favorite two elements are:
  • DE shaving provides a relaxing 15 minute break from the day-to-day that is quite relaxing as I focus on each step of the process from my pre-shave face wash to the creation of great lather and then executing the shave itself. While shaving anything else is tuned out.
  • Lather Creation from Shaving Soap, this is the one element were we actually create the final finished good, the shaving lather. I really enjoy experimenting with all the different elements that are part of this from choosing a soap (or blending one), deciding on which brush will work best and then adjusting the variables such loading or adding water that effect the lather quality.
Early on I did experiment with different blades but found that, with my beard and technique, they shave in similar fashion with the exception of actual blade longevity (# of shaves). Regarding software I was able to, over my first year, settle on the two synthetic and one boar brush that allow me to create great lather from any soap. Also settled on a couple of razors that really work well for me and see no need to experiment further.

What do you enjoy most about our hobby?

Sounds like I am heading/leaning in the exact same direction as yourself.
Only want to own 3 razors that I like, paired with a couple varieties of blades.
2 or 3 different brushes and a smallish ie. 5 or 6 different soaps.

Shaving is a chore I dreaded for 35 years. It has now become a daily 20 minute pamper myself session.

I enjoy the entire process. It's my spa time. But there are two parts of the shave I particularly enjoy:
- I face lather & the process of building the lather on my face is wonderful! Sensory overload as I swirl & paint.
- The act of shaving. Running a razor over my face is such a pleasant experience. The tactile feel of the blade gliding over my face, combined with the face feel after rinsing. Exhilarating! And I get to do this every day!!!!!!

I concur with David- I enjoy the entire process. Especially coming from a place of being unable to shave without resulting in ingrown, razor rash, and a severe case of pseudofolliculitis barbae.

Now, the variety of products in my shave den make me happy every time I go into the bathroom.

The only thing that makes me happier is obtaining a new product ( or rediscovering one I haven't used in a while) that improves the quality of my shaves.

marty

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I also enjoy every aspect of wet shaving. If I had to choose one moment among the many, I'd say... .that first touch of the razor blade to my face. I lift the handle and feel the blade engage and take that first downward stroke. It is probably one of the main differences, for me, that distinguish wet shaving from Gillette cartridge shaving.... that single blade feel.

And I get to enjoy that feeling for the rest of my shave as well.

I find it satisfying to sharpen and maintain my own blades and use them for shaving. Living in the city, I don’t get the opportunity to make much with my hands. There’s a sense of accomplishment when you put the time and effort into learning a new skill and finally master it.

Of course I like it all but...
The aromatherapy is outstanding. I spend time matching the lather to the aftershave to the cologne/edt
The tactile sense is amazing, feeling where my razor just passed to see if reduction was sufficient or does it need another pass. And the feel of my brush on the face and head.

I enjoy the entire process. It's my spa time. But there are two parts of the shave I particularly enjoy:
- I face lather & the process of building the lather on my face is wonderful! Sensory overload as I swirl & paint.
- The act of shaving. Running a razor over my face is such a pleasant experience. The tactile feel of the blade gliding over my face, combined with the face feel after rinsing. Exhilarating! And I get to do this every day!!!!!!
I agree completely, especially the part about face lathering.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

What are Your Favorite Parts of our Shaving Hobby?​

(1) The discovery of traditional wet shaving

(2) Appreciating the lower cost of DE blades VS Gillette Mach 5 Fusion blades

(3) Getting to experience and enjoy having nice razors

(4) An irritation free shave with no razor burn, & BBS shave

(5) Enjoying the feeling of different shave brushes, and how relaxing they can make me feel

(6) The experience of whipping up a lather to a yogurt consistency in my shave bowls

(7) Enjoying the feeling of applying the lather to my face

(8) In winter time, enjoying the luxury of applying hot lather from scuttle to my face

(9) In summer time, enjoying the cooling feeling of mentholated lather on my face

(9) Re-discovering what true aftershave is, vs the garbage grocery stores sell

(10) Enjoying the feeling of applying witch hazel or aftershave to my face, mentholated or otherwise

(11) Appreciation of having whiskers removed, to finally stop the whiskers from aggravating my face

(12) The enjoyment of appreciating the look of all my gear, when I enter my shave den each day

(13) The enjoyment of the meditative experience that wet shaving provides me, so in the end, it reduces my depression, so I can actually enjoy life.

(14) For those of us who don't have a significant other, wet shaving can provide a balance, to keep your mind off the negative, to help you feel more positive, and realize, you can still function without a significant other in your life, because you realize, that you alone, can provide the happiness you seek.

Top Bottom