What's new

Question on MWF

I recently received a puck of MWF along with the Mitchell's ceramic bowl. The puck is somewhat smaller in diameter than the bowl. I got the advice of two other members of this forum and their recommendation was to fill the bowl with a small amount of water and leave the lid on for a few days. This would cause the water to absorb into the soap, thus expanding the soap into the diameter of the bowl. This seemed like logical advice, but then I stumbled upon a post today that suggested too much water would destroy the puck of MWF and render it unusable (although I'm not sure how this would be possible as even cracked and/or runny soap would still lather).

My question is, should I follow this advice or no? Has anyone else tried this and found success/failure? I just think it looks a little lame that the puck of soap doesn't fit into the bowl tightly.

I forgot to add that any pictures of the MWF soap properly fitting into its ceramic bowl would be appreciated (just so I can have visual proof that this is indeed possible). :001_smile

have you used the soap yet...others say that after a use or two the soap "glues itself to the jar" or you could always mill it to fit if you want.

My advice would be to lather it up ...remove the puck and put a little really thick lather on the bottom of the soap. then press it down firmly and leave the lid off to dry and it should stick.

Yeah, I've used it and it adheres pretty firmly to the bottom of the jar. What I am attempting to do is "expand" the soap so that there isn't as much of a gap between the edge of the puck and the edge of the jar. The only real reason that I am doing this is because I heard it was possible and am interested to see how it will turn out. I just want to make sure I don't ruin the puck in the process...

I`m no expert but I`m pretty sure that it won`t ruin the soap. It`s natural for the soap to absorb water and expand. Perhaps the issue is that once the soap has absorbed all the water it can, the remaining water can damage it? But that does not make much sense either because that is no different then taking a puck and leaving it in the tub or sink with water, which won`t ruin the soap but you`ll loose some as it dissolves. I`m pretty sure you`d be safe in letting the soap expand.

Quick question: where did you get the ceramic bowl? The only place I have seen it is Shaving Essentials, but for that price I can get 3 pucks with wooden bowls from Kent`s Ebay store.

I let my puck sit in water. It did expand to fit the ceramic dish and I have used it a few times since. In fact, I used it this morning. Seemed fine.

I can get 3 pucks with wooden bowls from Kent`s Ebay store.
I've seen lots of comments saying that Kent's wooden bowls are "less than desirable" more or less. What are folks complaining about? Do they crack, do the lids not fit, are they just ugly, or what?

I`m no expert but I`m pretty sure that it won`t ruin the soap. It`s natural for the soap to absorb water and expand. Perhaps the issue is that once the soap has absorbed all the water it can, the remaining water can damage it? But that does not make much sense either because that is no different then taking a puck and leaving it in the tub or sink with water, which won`t ruin the soap but you`ll loose some as it dissolves. I`m pretty sure you`d be safe in letting the soap expand.

Quick question: where did you get the ceramic bowl? The only place I have seen it is Shaving Essentials, but for that price I can get 3 pucks with wooden bowls from Kent`s Ebay store.

I got the bowl and puck for $48 at West Coast Shaving (http://www.westcoastshaving.com). It's run by a forum member (John a.k.a. letterk) and shipping is free if your total order is over $75. That was the lowest price I could find stateside. I think you can get it even cheaper from the U.K. but I'm not sure where.

I've seen lots of comments saying that Kent's wooden bowls are "less than desirable" more or less. What are folks complaining about? Do they crack, do the lids not fit, are they just ugly, or what?

I'm curious as well, as I have an order on its way presently! If no one else gets back to you I will report once it's in my possession

I had no problem with just soaking the soap for a few days. I did use distilled water instead of tap water. You hear enough stories about people having trouble lathering MWF because of their water. Didn't seem to make sense to build the problem into the soap! After a few days I lightly pressed the soap into the edges. Now it looks like it came that way.

You can pick up the soap a little cheaper if you order directly from UK because of the currency conversion. The Shaving-Shack has them for under $40 delivered to the States. Their shipping is a flat rate, so you might as well get a few refills while you are at it. They sometimes post discount codes (none currently) in the Shopping forum where you get 21% off. It'll take over a week to get and they don't give you a tracking code, if that matters to you.

have you used the soap yet...others say that after a use or two the soap "glues itself to the jar" or you could always mill it to fit if you want.

My advice would be to lather it up ...remove the puck and put a little really thick lather on the bottom of the soap. then press it down firmly and leave the lid off to dry and it should stick.

That's the way it's intended to be used (according to Graham at MWF, I've spoken to the guy many times - previous buyers of MWF will know I bought heaps direct from MWF - heck I even have a 30-day account there :lol:)

As for soaking in hot water - go check the melting point of lanolin (38°C/100°F) - if you use water hotter than that and tip it out (or indeed skim off the "scum" that forms) you just tossed out the main feature of MWF, namely the wool fat part. The soap part won't be ruined, but it will be lanolin-depleted.

I can also tell you - based on having 100+ MWF cakes through my hands that they vary in weight by about 7g (though always above the 125g declared weight), thickness by 2mm and diameter by 5mm - all direct from the factory - I thought I was going nuts when I took 10 apparently identical packages for posting and got 6 different weights.

As for soaking in hot water - go check the melting point of lanolin (38°C/100°F) - if you use water hotter than that and tip it out (or indeed skim off the "scum" that forms) you just tossed out the main feature of MWF, namely the wool fat part. The soap part won't be ruined, but it will be lanolin-depleted.

Agreed. I used room temperature water, and didn't drain it off. It's still in there!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
That's the way it's intended to be used (according to Graham at MWF, I've spoken to the guy many times - previous buyers of MWF will know I bought heaps direct from MWF - heck I even have a 30-day account there :lol:)

I can also tell you - based on having 100+ MWF cakes through my hands that they vary in weight by about 7g (though always above the 125g declared weight), thickness by 2mm and diameter by 5mm - all direct from the factory - I thought I was going nuts when I took 10 apparently identical packages for posting and got 6 different weights.

You are obviously a man who knows and loves this product. What is your take on the comparison to Williams shave soap?

You are obviously a man who knows and loves this product. What is your take on the comparison to Williams shave soap?

No idea - never seen it on sale here - I have several kilograms of soap on hand so there's no rush to try it either :biggrin:

If SWMBO is looking that "several kilograms" above should read "one small box" :tongue:

No idea, I've never used them. The ones you get off their ebay site are not as nice looking as the other wooden bowl I've seen from them. It is a light colored wood and just doesn't look as appealing.

I got the bowl and puck for $48 at West Coast Shaving (http://www.westcoastshaving.com). It's run by a forum member (John a.k.a. letterk) and shipping is free if your total order is over $75. That was the lowest price I could find stateside. I think you can get it even cheaper from the U.K. but I'm not sure where.

Still 3X more than Ebay

You can pick up the soap a little cheaper if you order directly from UK because of the currency conversion. The Shaving-Shack has them for under $40 delivered to the States. Their shipping is a flat rate, so you might as well get a few refills while you are at it. They sometimes post discount codes (none currently) in the Shopping forum where you get 21% off. It'll take over a week to get and they don't give you a tracking code, if that matters to you.

NOW WE'RE TALKING! Thank you! Now I can finally tell myself it is ok to spring for the ceramic bowl. It'll only cost about $10 more!

:lol::lol:

Top Bottom