What's new

I'm getting desperate with the Blackland Blackbird

The Blackbird is my favorite razor when it comes to design. It's a real marvel, and a stunning razor! I saw almost every single video while I was waiting to receive it, and I knew that it has a good amount of blade feel, and a mid blade gap. But one thing was obvious, this beauty it's really efficient and can provide close shaves.
I had in mind Shane tips from the very beginning: Steeper angle and some consecutive shaves with it.

Well, after one month, and almost 15 shaves I'm considering that the Blackbird isn't for me...Sadly.

I've tough hairs, but quite sensitive skin, and I never had a single shave without irritation on my neck. Even today, with a Astra SP, I got like 5 blood spots, with 48h of growth. I've tried my favorite blades: Astra SP, Personna Viking's Sword, Treet Platinum and Gillette Platinum. None of these blades were good on the Blackbird.
I use really slight touch while shaving, and I always paired it with really top notch artisan soaps, like B&M, DG, Lothur, PAA, A&E, Noble Otter, etc. None of these soaps could avoid the strange and awkward "drag" that this razor has to it. I even thought to polish it, but I was told that wouldn't solve the dragging issue.

I'm writing this thread because I don't want to give on the razor, but I must admit that I'm wondering about to sell it sooner or later.

Thanks!

Even well reviewed razors aren’t for everyone. Personally, I think 🤔 BB razors look great, but I prefer an adjustable to match my needs since I change my facial hair frequently throughout the year. Maybe try a Gillette Yellow blade to knock down some of the aggressiveness. Cheers.

Even well reviewed razors aren’t for everyone. Personally, I think 🤔 BB razors look great, but I prefer an adjustable to match my needs since I change my facial hair frequently throughout the year. Maybe try a Gillette Yellow blade to knock down some of the aggressiveness. Cheers.

I don't mind to find a blade and stick with it for my entire life with the Blackbird, because I really love the look of it, but man, this is getting me frustrated!

Yes, Machined SS.
Have you considered the Ti? I don't have the SS but some have suggested the Ti is a slightly more tame version. The Ti I have has been wonderful although I tend to run fairly sharp blades.

The Perma Sharp have been the smoothest and popular for many (especially steep and very light touch). Might be a blade to try out with your SS version.

Have you considered the Ti? I don't have the SS but some have suggested the Ti is a slightly more tame version. The Ti I have has been wonderful although I tend to run fairly sharp blades.

The Perma Sharp have been the smoothest and popular for many (especially steep and very light touch). Might be a blade to try out with your SS version.

I couldn't find it on Europe, and this SS version was a quite good deal, and I tend to lean on heavier razors.

A good lookin razor that doesn’t shave well for me is a fancy paper weight. I want a razor that isn’t fussy about blade selection or need any special skills to deliver superior shaves. Have fun during your journey.
I agree with that, but I don't want to give up on it too early.

Did you buy it new from Blackland? They have a 30 day return policy. It costs too much to not be happy.
No, I got it from a random person...

I feel your pain - had a surprisingly bad first shave with a new Timeless .95 OC SS today…

My SS Machined Blackbird is my “Top Dawg”. From first use, its given my phenominal shaves.

One thing Ill say: The Blackland website instructs to use a shallow (ride the cap) angle with this razor. Using it “steep” is a common advise in this Forum. I tend to use it about neutral or perhaps slighly shallow. This razor gives good audible feedback - so you know when you are “cutting” (vs “scraping”) efficiently.

I even thought to polish it, but I was told that wouldn't solve the dragging issue.

I think the drag/suction/resistance is down to the way the head is designed. Even with a polished BB I couldn't get rid of it entirely. A shame, I really wanted to like the razor as the shaves were close and no irritation for me.

I've tried both machined (titanium) and polished (brass). Brassbird was definitely better in that regard.

Think I was using a shallow angle but it's been a while.

The Blackbird is indeed an odd razor. I really like mine, but the base plate does feel a bit rough when I divert even slightly. The inventor was on the right path and that's just my opinion, but if he tweak the design a little bit and make the rough parts smoother as well as add a bit more of a blade support, it could be much better.

At first I was against it, but I'm planning to get the titanium version in the foreseeable future once I find a seller for my stainless version. Problem is that they no longer sell the polished titanium version and I kinda have a PTSD from matt/unpolished finishes.

Last edited:
I agree with that, but I don't want to give up on it too early.

No, I got it from a random person...

I'd suggest trying a few more blades. Personna Lab Blue, Bic CP, Nacet, Perma sharp. And use no pressure with a neutral angle.

My polished ss Blackbird is my number one but I realize every razor is not for everyone.

What other razors do you like? Maybe something like the Muhle Rocca would suit you better.

I never tried the SS version as I only have the Ti one. In the beginning was having the same kind of problem as you're having. I have a VERY sensitive skin on the right side of my neck (that's the only place I'll have issues with with any razor and/or blades). I know that this blades haven't been mentioned often, but for me the only blades that gives me consistent results with the Ti Blackbird is the Feather blade. The first shave isn't always the most comfortable (even though it's not a rough one), but all the subsequent one are just stellar shave.

Tips : In the beginning with my Blackbird I was using the same type of "light pressure" as with my other razors. After a while I thought to try to use the least pressure possible even if it wasn't cutting anything on that "problematic" place and starting to increase the pressure bit by bit to help me find the sweet spot I needed.

In the beginning of my journey with it I was in the same position as you. I loved the design so much that I wanted to give it all the chance in the world and thought of selling it until I came up with the idea I mentioned as a tips.

Today, I have very few razors of ALL the ones I have that will never leave the den and the Blackland Blackbird Titanium is one of them.

That being said, like someone else wrote "Even well reviewed razors aren’t for everyone." and it's true as I bought mine from the BST of someone for whom the Blackbird just wasn't for him!

Wishing you the best luck tryimg to conquer the Blackbird

Edit : I forgot to mention it, but I was reading the subsequent answer after mine and I have to agree that for me slightly riding the cap helped a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPO
Steep and feather light touch is not the way to use this razor. Engage the top, find the right amount of pressure. I have the TI version, so for you the added weight might help you a little. If you get any drag just back off a little on the pressure. This should not be handled like a traditional German style razor. For me this razor just clicked on the first shave. I have been using the Henson +++ for a while. This head works sort of the same way.

It is just one of those razors that you need to shave with confidence and trust the razor will not cut you. If you take this approach with something like an R41, the razor will tear you up. The BB is different.

OP, we always advise a shallow angle (top cap on the skin) rather than steep. I think you may have that mixed around in your post. Often, when people experience “drag” it’s because they’re using a steeper angle and allowing the angled safety bar to scrape off the lather before it gets to the blade. Trouble happens when we force our technique onto a razor rather than adjusting our technique to it. Shallow is the easiest place to start with the Blackbird. Once you adapt, then you can play with angle more.

We also recommend sticking with a single blade until you are getting decent shaves. It sounds like you’ve tried a few which isn’t the worst thing, but it makes it hard to determine whether blade, technique, or razor is the issue. Pick one and stick with it until you have the technique down.

And finally, it may just not be the razor for you. Of everything we make, the Blackbird is the one designed to be least universally loved. Those who like it, LOVE it, and those who don’t, really don’t. Not all things are for all people and that’s okay. :)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've tough hairs, but quite sensitive skin, and I never had a single shave without irritation on my neck. Even today, with a Astra SP, I got like 5 blood spots, with 48h of growth.

As suggested, try a shallower angle. With a shallower angle the blade has less propensity to flex which may be a cause of weepers. I'd also suggest trying a shim. If you shim the blade it will help considerably with the rigidity. If rigidity is an issue, and I suspect it is given you have hard to cut whiskers and sensitive skin, which is also an issue for me, you'll find out very quickly.

You might also try a Feather blade. A sharper blade is akin to increasing rigidity. The sharper edge cuts the hairs more easily. Assuming your skin can handle them. I can have a hard time with Feather blades without a soap my skin really likes and even then, I only get two shaves per blade before they start feeling harsh and tugging.

Top Bottom