What's new

Connaught Shaving and Rising U.S. $/U.K. Pound Exchange Rate = Amazing Shave Soap & Cream Pricing for U.S. Buyers

Are there any production dates on the MWF?
None on any of my pucks including my first one from Amazon. Suspect these pucks may be straight from the factory as I needed to delay my Connaughts order for a few days because they were out-of-stock.

Not too worried about MWF shelf life as this is hard triple milled soap. We've B&Bers achieving great results from 20 year old pucks.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Man I really dig the Windsor, to my nose it’s a light scent (sinus issues). But even after the top notes fade away, what’s left is still a nice scent. I also have the matching aftershave.

I just ordered the soap refill and dropped it upside down in an empty 4oz Stirling tub. Works great and whips up a really nice lather.

It is nice, and it’s a Terre de Hermes clone.

Just a couple of days ago I placed an order to Connaught's for some MWF in the ceramic container. I have yet to receive an email confirmation of my order and my subsequent inquiry as to the order has gone unanswered.

Well I checked online and it seems Discover cards don’t get charged the exchange fee. Got a total of £343.12 when I paid and when I checked on Discover online there’s a pending fee of $394.08. Would it show the exchange fee or would it show later like in 24 hours? Thanks for giving me a heads up on checking my credit cards to find one that didn’t charge exchange rate fees. You guys rock!!!

EDIT: I just re-read @Lane101 ‘s response in post #22. Seems it’s too early to celebrate as I wouldn’t see the exchange rate fee until after Connaught ships.
Just checked my discover card account transactions and I got a total from Connaught as the pending charge of $394.08 turned into $402.59. There is no currency conversion fee listed but the conversion rate looks higher than it was the day a placed my order even up until today. On the date of the order the pound sterling to USD was 1.1564. On the following pic the conversion rate is listed at 1.1733213 and I’m not seeing the rate that high until you go back to august 28 which was a week + before my order. Is Discover bundling their fee within the conversion rate by artificially inflating it?

49EFE136-654C-4D86-B94B-D10CAD0E1B75.jpeg

Just checked my discover card account transactions and I got a total from Connaught as the pending charge of $394.08 turned into $402.59. There is no currency conversion fee listed but the conversion rate looks higher than it was the day a placed my order even up until today. On the date of the order the pound sterling to USD was 1.1564. On the following pic the conversion rate is listed at 1.1733213 and I’m not seeing the rate that high until you go back to august 28 which was a week + before my order. Is Discover bundling their fee within the conversion rate by artificially inflating it?

View attachment 1522850
Actually it hit $1.17 on September 12th so it is fluctuating in that range. Back down to $1.15 today. Depends on when Connaught shiped the order and date Discover processed the transaction. Not familiar with Discover international transaction terms.

Actually it hit $1.17 on September 12th so it is fluctuating in that range. Back down to $1.15 today. Depends on when Connaught shiped the order and date Discover processed the transaction. Not familiar with Discover international transaction terms.
Ok so it did go up on Sep 12 and possibly that’s when they did the conversion. I assumed when I placed the order and whatever the conversion rate was at that time is what they would use. I’m not going to complain over $8.50 and at least I didn’t get hit with the conversion fee using Discover.

Just a couple of days ago I placed an order to Connaught's for some MWF in the ceramic container. I have yet to receive an email confirmation of my order and my subsequent inquiry as to the order has gone unanswered.
I received an email confirmation with invoice shortly after placing the order with a follow-up email the next business day when the order was shipped. If you copied the order number down you can enter it into their web site to check on order status. Otherwise send them another email to see if they have the order or if you should resubmit. Also, if you can, check your credit card, my card app showed a pending charge right after the first confirmation email was sent that turned into an actual charge when the order was shipped.

Note that they may not be able to research an inquiry without an order number. If there is no credit charge pending then nothing was likely processed. Let everyone know how well they handle this.

P.S. See you recently joined B&B. Will this be your first puck of MWF?

The death of the Queen has basically shut the UK down. Don't expect anything to happen until after she is buried.

A charge was posted to my CC yet I never received an order number. I'll make another inquiry therefore. And this will be my second puck of MWF as I'll give it another try.

I received an email confirmation with invoice shortly after placing the order with a follow-up email the next business day when the order was shipped. If you copied the order number down you can enter it into their web site to check on order status. Otherwise send them another email to see if they have the order or if you should resubmit. Also, if you can, check your credit card, my card app showed a pending charge right after the first confirmation email was sent that turned into an actual charge when the order was shipped.

Note that they may not be able to research an inquiry without an order number. If there is no credit charge pending then nothing was likely processed. Let everyone know how well they handle this.

P.S. See you recently joined B&B. Will this be your first puck of MWF?

Being an American, I never realized that the passing of a monarch would entail such a "widespread" shutdown.
I have placed several orders with Connaught. I got an order confirmation and an shipping confirmation email the next day or two. Questions emailed to them got a response the same day or next day. They may not be working on some holiday or weekend days, though.

Why did I run into this thread?🤣
I had the same question, right before I bought $70 worth of blades, soaps, creams, balms, and other bits and bobs so I could avoid shipping charges. The exchange rate has only gotten better since the start of the thread. I only regret that they did not have a Semogue SOC mixed badger/boar brush for sale. My Semogue 820 Boar is probably my favorite brush, and I could have bought one for a lot less at Connaught.

Agree it took a lot of self control not to run up the total - decided to max out Mitchell's and stick to a 60 GBP order budget. My new items to try are the D.R. Harris and Mitchell's Bath Soap. Would have added a Tabac instead of stocking up on Arko if they had the original tallow formula. Have you used the Lea before? Thought about it and demurred as the refills were out-of-stock and I did not need a wood bowl.

P.S. Took a look at the Paypal site, they have a whole range of different fixed and variable fees they tack on international transactions and charge both the customer and merchant. Their currency conversion "spread" fee alone is 4% of the transaction value. My $2.14 Chase Saphire fee represents roughly 3% of the purchase price. If you have a newer Chase Sapphire Preferred card there may be no transaction fee.
My Chase Sapphire Reserve has no fee or spread on the conversion. Yesterday, 61.50 GBP was charged as $70.63. PayPal (using the same card) was going to convert the same total to over $80. Um, no.

My Chase Sapphire Reserve has no fee or spread on the conversion. Yesterday, 61.50 GBP was charged as $70.63. PayPal (using the same card) was going to convert the same total to over $80. Um, no.
Hi Mgweatherly, I just places a second order on Saturday for 60.25 GBP and was charged $69.19 which is the same $1.14 per GBP exchange rate you were charged and consistent with posted exchange rates. As my card is one of the older regular Chase Saphires there was a 3% foreign transaction fee of $2.07. Benefit of the older version is it's grandfathered in with no annual fee. Depending on what the Federal Reserve does and messages on Wednesday we could see some more movement in the exchange rates. Great time to source/travel internationally. Euro is now at parity with the dollar.

Anyone who wants to look up the exchange rates only needs to google dollars per GBP.

Hi Mgweatherly, I just places a second order on Saturday for 60.25 GBP and was charged $69.19 which is the same $1.14 per GBP exchange rate you were charged and consistent with posted exchange rates. As my card is one of the older regular Chase Saphires there was a 3% foreign transaction fee of $2.07. Benefit of the older version is it's grandfathered in with no annual fee. Depending on what the Federal Reserve does and messages on Wednesday we could see some more movement in the exchange rates. Great time to source/travel internationally. Euro is now at parity with the dollar.

Anyone who wants to look up the exchange rates only needs to google dollars per GBP.
I like referencing xe.com and it shows the fluctuation through different selectable time frames.

BTW, I got a partial shipment of my order. 2 of the 4 packages from that order arrived Saturday. Nothing today though, but last time I ordered from Connaught, my order was split in two packages which arrived about a week apart.

U.S. to U.K. exchange rate dropped to $1.09 per GBP today. That's an extra 6% off from when we placed our orders with Connaught earlier this month.

Euro to 97 cents U.S.
I was excited when i saw this when i clicked on “new in stock” on their web page.

357E8702-1717-4B94-A267-97BD4DE30A81.jpeg

When I added some Omega brushes there was no discount. (Look at that beautiful Jade green pure boar brush in the center of the Omega brushes!!!!)

After I emailed them he told me that wasn’t supposed to be there. I asked if it was for October maybe and he said no. Weird.

Top Bottom