What's new

Antique Acquisitions

Was shopping around at some local antique shops today, and amongst the many 40-50's superspeeds that I found (didn't buy, since I already have one) I came across two that caught my interest. The first is a Gillette slim handle adjustable. It's in pretty good condition, but has some gunk on it that I need to get rid of. The butterfly doors are a little sticky, but close tightly. The adjustment wheel has a little resistance as well, but functions completely. The price for this one, $10

The second acquisition, however interested me a little more. I have found absolutely nothing about this razor yet. It is a W. J. Myatt "Imperial" Daymark safety travel razor. It comes complete in the original box with a two-piece handle that screws into itself for easy storage. It's in great condition, plus it came with 9 (not sure where the 10th ran off to) gillette thin blades. Cost for this one was $18. I thought it was a little high, but thought it was too cool not to buy. After looking into it, these things don't seem too common, so maybe it was a good buy.

My next step is to clean these two up nicely. I've only been here a few weeks, and I already have RAD! Here are some pics:

full

full

full

(Made by W. J. Myatt & Co LTD
Birmingham, England
Imported by Forest Cruse & Sons
Austin, Texas)

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully it is just soap scum causes the slim to stick a bit. Soak it in some hot water and then some scrubbing bubbles. Bit of a strange case for the slim.

Hopefully it is just soap scum causes the slim to stick a bit. Soak it in some hot water and then some scrubbing bubbles. Bit of a strange case for the slim.

Soaking as I type this. Did one soak already, got most of the scum off. It's shining up really nicely. Also did a bunch of searches for the Myatt. The more I look and can't find even a single picture, the more I think I found a really unique razor.

Nice scores! I scoured Austin for last weekend and found nothing except a Super Speed. Austin vintage shops do not seem to have vintage razors.

DL

Nice scores! I scoured Austin for last weekend and found nothing except a Super Speed. Austin vintage shops do not seem to have vintage razors.

DL

Yeah, I've been all over. It seems like most of the antique/vintage shops are on Burnet. The place I found these is on Burnet, just north and across the road from CVS. I can't recall the name of the cross street it is near. Right when I walked in, I looked to the left and there was a bowl full of razors. Every other place has had absolutely nothing.

Yeah, I've been all over. It seems like most of the antique/vintage shops are on Burnet. The place I found these is on Burnet, just north and across the road from CVS. I can't recall the name of the cross street it is near. Right when I walked in, I looked to the left and there was a bowl full of razors. Every other place has had absolutely nothing.

I really figured in Austin the vintage shops would be better than antique shops. We went to two just off Lamar and north of the cemetary. Nothing. I do know of a lady on E. 6th that has several DEs. A Knack and a couple of Super Speeds.

DL

Shaved with the Slim earlier. Quite different than the superspeed I've been using. Started out on 3, and that turned out to be way more aggressive than I like. On 1, the blade moved smoothly across my face, and got a decent shave. I definitely need more practice with this one.

Top Bottom