What's new

Quirky things you do as part of your shave routine!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I put everything away when I'm done. I have that shelving unit that hangs on the back of the bathroom door. It's open all the time so my gear just backs up to the walk-in shower door... out of sight. The towels are in the dryer or folded and in the master bedroom closet.

The only thing on the counter are a few razors in stands and the brushes I have in rotation.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I thought this would be interesting to know!
During my shave yesterday, I noticed a few quirky things that I do.

1. When I grab my razor to shave, I run my finger lightly on both sides of the blade (South to North) to feel it's sharpness. I have no idea why I do this since I'm sure my fingers can't feel the difference of a new blade vs. a duller blade, Lol!!

2. I take a deep whiff of the cream in the container (before I scoop it out) even though I use the same cream every day.

3. When I'm done shaving, I dry my face with a towel without patting it (as recommended to avoid irritation). I like feeling like my face if fully dry!

Anyone else have some quirkiness in their shaves?

I'm sure my wife gets a kick out of seeing all the funny faces I make trying to stretch my skin and make it taut and smooth for razor strokes.

Not sure if that qualifies for 'quirky'.

If it's a quirk, mine is neatness. Unless my wife's at our other house, I don't keep anything out and on our small vanity top (30"). When she's there a few days, I put her stuff on a shelf and out comes my bowl (Captain's Choice copper) and razor/brush stand. However, when I shave, everything is off the counter so the only things remaining is a razor, brush, bowl and soap or cream in case I need to add a little more to the lather. When I'm completely done, I do the alum rinse and while that's sitting on my face, I clean up the brush, bowl, razor (remove the blade and pat dry) and set the dried items aside. I rinse the alum and blot my face dry. Use a squeegee to clean the counter top and wipe up the little bits of water I miss on the counter and faucet. Put everything back as it was. Neatness, cleanliness, no remaining water in the sink as, if we let that go, as it evaporates, we'll get a buildup of calcium and I can't have that. That's why a 25 year sink/countertop and faucet look about new.

Last week I bought a tub of yogurt I don't particularly like because I suddenly thought the container would make a great shaving bowl. (It really does.) The quirkiest part of my shaving routine isn't anything I'm doing, it's that I'm still thinking about it when I don't need to shave. Like in the middle of the supermarket.

I even dreamed of a BBS shave a couple of nights ago. It was a complicated dream, with lots of razors, and lots of things going on, but BBS was achieved and it was glorious.

The nice men in white coats who will bring me to my new home could arrive any day now.😂

If it's a quirk, mine is neatness. Unless my wife's at our other house, I don't keep anything out and on our small vanity top (30"). When she's there a few days, I put her stuff on a shelf and out comes my bowl (Captain's Choice copper) and razor/brush stand. However, when I shave, everything is off the counter so the only things remaining is a razor, brush, bowl and soap or cream in case I need to add a little more to the lather. When I'm completely done, I do the alum rinse and while that's sitting on my face, I clean up the brush, bowl, razor (remove the blade and pat dry) and set the dried items aside. I rinse the alum and blot my face dry. Use a squeegee to clean the counter top and wipe up the little bits of water I miss on the counter and faucet. Put everything back as it was. Neatness, cleanliness, no remaining water in the sink as, if we let that go, as it evaporates, we'll get a buildup of calcium and I can't have that. That's why a 25 year sink/countertop and faucet look about new.
Sounds like what I do. I will notate the squeegee! That's a great idea!!
I'm tired of using the edge of my palm as the squeegee. One other thing I do for the daily wipe down is a paper towel holder on my vanity. I use paper towel for everything!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Something I did not do is take photo's of the SOTD for 41 years prior and other shave related shave gear but for the last 5 years I have taken and presented a lot of shave related photos.
I find a picture is easier for me to mention something of interest on the forum threads.

I have had a lot of good laughs reading this thread...most people would say that is quirky.

I now take the blade out of my DE razors, rinse, palm stop each side, towel dry it completely and lay it out at an angle to air dry some more.

Here's another one- I put a rubber band around my boar brushes when nearly dry to keep the bristles from being unruly.
The floors and various table tops around our home may get dusty but the sink, countertop and mirror are sparkling clean.

I thoughtfully decide and lay on the counter what I will shave with the next day. This layout may change the next day depending on mood, inspiration, the weather or some other whim. (Isn't that normal for B&Bers?)

Sounds like what I do. I will notate the squeegee! That's a great idea!!
I'm tired of using the edge of my palm as the squeegee. One other thing I do for the daily wipe down is a paper towel holder on my vanity. I use paper towel for everything!
We use the squeegee for the glass door shower and the shower is next to the vanity so it's handy and works a treat.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I follow a very close routine... no squeegee though... I do use one for the shower enclosure, however. Our sink bowl is raised so there would be no way to squeegee the water into it... and I already have a hand towel down, folded in half on the right side of the sink... in between my wife's sink.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Perhaps more practical than quirky, but after reading about it on B&B I have adopted the practice of taking a single sheet of toilet paper and meticulously running it through the scales of my straight razor after shaving to remove any stray water droplets that could potentially rust the blade. A great tip that I have incorporated into my routine.

I follow a very close routine... no squeegee though... I do use one for the shower enclosure, however. Our sink bowl is raised so there would be no way to squeegee the water into it... and I already have a hand towel down, folded in half on the right side of the sink... in between my wife's sink.
Yeah, a squeegee requires a flat, recessed sink. Our countertop is one of those one piece Corian types of material with a molded in sink basin. I wanted that style for just this reason.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I think the weirdest thing I do is also dry my brushes with my hair dryer. I also have OCD, so everything in my shave den must also have label facing forward, deviation of my regulations will not be permitted. Sometimes I also take pictures of shaving gear in my shave den. But if a family member were to spot you coming out of the bathroom with a camera, they'd think you were taking pictures of something else.

Sometimes its difficult to justify our weirdness to other family members. They see you got 7 razors, and a wave of anxiety hits them like a ton of bricks. They will call your hobby an obsession, and act like you need an intervention. Why some folks are like that I will never know. I think we all have weird quirks, afterall, were nerds for wet shaving.

99% of humans consider shaving a chore they would rather not do. Were the odd 1% who go out of our way to shave twice a day if we could, or make up any excuse we can, to get out of something our family wants us to do, just so we can shave instead. There is no hope for us, we spun down the rabbit hole long ago, the only thing we can do, is embrace who we are, and hope that when we kick the bucket, it will be filled with Arko for the afterlife, so we may shave there too.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I just remembered another quirky thing I do. After I'm done shaving, I try to scrape as much of the unused lather remaining on the brush back into the soap container to try and conserve soap. Does anybody else do that?

Top Bottom