What's new

Gibbs adjustable thread

Hello gentlemen,

Not long ago I sold 7 adjustable Gibbs on BST. Kept 8 for my own pleasure and enjoy them throughly. Bought a 9th one, a bit more difficult to find (the red indicator is placed in the centre of the adjustment ring and it’s a three-piece razor - cannot be entirely disassembled. Kind of messes up the visual harmony of my cabinet.. the wooden stand dedicated to Gibbs has only 8 spots.

With so many new owners, I was waiting for some impressions, photos, reviews… not a single new thread since!
Come on gentlemen, I think this extraordinary razor deserves more attention! Let’s discuss!

Tonight’s shave:

- n° 6 adjustment for the first pass WTG;
- n° 2 for XTG and ATG.
- WOW.

Tonight’s razor is quite an unusual variation, with diamond carving on the adjustment ring ans the twist knob. It proudly carries a beautiful brass handle with matching diamond carving, executed to perfection by @Clouds, the man who is responsible for my journey to Gibbsland.
Everything started with a very detailed and fascinating thread about Gibbs written by him. Thanks man! 😊

B7FA4283-9C2A-47F5-8885-FDC982FFE08E.jpeg

50A74192-F141-4A00-94C6-CC0D0572AFCD.jpeg

What a beauty!

I was tempted by your offer on the bst but had to think it over. When I logged back on they were gone.
A few weeks later Heritage Collection Shaving announced the pre-order for their replica and I didn't hesitate.
I am very much looking forward to it's delivery. I realise it's not the real deal, not of the most durable metals and takes regular de blades, but soooo excited, I am jumping up and down.

Sorry if I sound like a Gibbs heretic. 😊

Since I dont have the real deal I'm hoping someone on the forum might end up getting both to give them a proper comparison.

That is a beautiful razor. I have a Gibbs but I believe the handle is a replacement. I've tried the vintage blades, but couldn't get a decent shave. Someone suggested the 3d printed inserts so all you have to do is trim the tabs off a standard blade and you're cooking with gas. That has made all the difference and I get glorious Gibbs shaves. I too ordered one of the new Heritage replicas, but I got the chrome handled version, so it won't be identical.

That is a beautiful razor. I have a Gibbs but I believe the handle is a replacement. I've tried the vintage blades, but couldn't get a decent shave. Someone suggested the 3d printed inserts so all you have to do is trim the tabs off a standard blade and you're cooking with gas. That has made all the difference and I get glorious Gibbs shaves. I too ordered one of the new Heritage replicas, but I got the chrome handled version, so it won't be identical.
I tried as well a vintage Gibbs blade - very bad results.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If yu want to use a vintage blade then I found the universal blades that Gillette made for the French market a bit better than the Gibbs blades from the same era. Still pretty rough though.

20210715_220537.jpg

thought they ended up making these out of brass, did they not?
They offer versions with brass handles but from what I understand the head is coated zamac. Which makes sense, considering the price.
I went for the plastic handle, because I prefer it to be as close to the original as possible.

Is the Yaqi Final Cut closer to the Gibbs? Visually to me it looks like it but I don't have a Gibbs to compare.

Hello gentlemen,

Not long ago I sold 7 adjustable Gibbs on BST. Kept 8 for my own pleasure and enjoy them throughly. Bought a 9th one, a bit more difficult to find (the red indicator is placed in the centre of the adjustment ring and it’s a three-piece razor - cannot be entirely disassembled. Kind of messes up the visual harmony of my cabinet.. the wooden stand dedicated to Gibbs has only 8 spots.

With so many new owners, I was waiting for some impressions, photos, reviews… not a single new thread since!
Come on gentlemen, I think this extraordinary razor deserves more attention! Let’s discuss!

Tonight’s shave:

- n° 6 adjustment for the first pass WTG;
- n° 2 for XTG and ATG.
- WOW.

Tonight’s razor is quite an unusual variation, with diamond carving on the adjustment ring ans the twist knob. It proudly carries a beautiful brass handle with matching diamond carving, executed to perfection by @Clouds, the man who is responsible for my journey to Gibbsland.
Everything started with a very detailed and fascinating thread about Gibbs written by him. Thanks man! 😊

View attachment 1519804

View attachment 1519806

Congratulations!! That’s a beauty!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

I bought two that I am converting for two local guys.

This is the first one and its already in its new home.
He elected an 85mm handle. (Top picture)

The bottom image shows the new middle plate and the drilled TopCap.

The second must still be finished off but I've been a bit hectic with my day job.

Gibbs04.jpg

Gibbs05.jpg

The 3D printed inserts are a game changer. The Gibbs is easy-peasy to use now. +1 on glorious Gibbs shaves.

I bought two that I am converting for two local guys.

This is the first one and its already in its new home.
He elected an 85mm handle. (Top picture)

The bottom image shows the new middle plate and the drilled TopCap.

The second must still be finished off but I've been a bit hectic with my day job.

@Clouds i am new to SR shaving (3mos), but kick myself for not shaving this way my whole life. All 3 of my sons have switched with me, and were “all in”. My 17yr old got half his football team to switch🤣. I just purchased 2 Gibbs, had to after getting the Rex Ambassador. Interested in your work. Oh and brand new to B&B

@Clouds i am new to SR shaving (3mos), but kick myself for not shaving this way my whole life. All 3 of my sons have switched with me, and were “all in”. My 17yr old got half his football team to switch🤣. I just purchased 2 Gibbs, had to after getting the Rex Ambassador. Interested in your work. Oh and brand new to B&B
Welcome to B&B and to the Gibbs family! 😊

Top Bottom