What's new

Wonderful shave to start my vacation

I'm on vacation, seeing my folks in Washington. Their house is on Camano Island, looking across to Whidbey. It ended up being an overcast morning, with a slight mist in the air. The kind of thing that if you sit still for a while you'll start to notice moisture collecting in your arm hairs. But it was still comfortably warm out and not so socked in that their was no view from the back porch. The house isn't right on the water, it sits up the hill a little, but still close enough to smell the salty air and make out the sounds of bigger waves hitting the rocky beach below. Inland enough to mix the coastal smells with the inland smells. Cedar and pine trees, the ferns my mother planted everywhere.

A good place for a Friday morning shave.

It was 6am, I set my thigs out on the table out back. I had already showered and washed my face (Gabriel Cosmetics Red Seaweed exfoliating face wash). I put out a bowl and a pitcher of hot water. Set up a mirror on the railing. I rewet my face with a washcloth soaked in hot water, then applied a little Taconic preshave oil. Massaged into my face for a minute and then reapplied the towel.

I used Dr. Jons Anne Bonny soap. It seemed appropriate for a shave by the water. I lathered in my travel bowl with an Omega boars hair brush. The water here is much softer than at home in Missoula. The best lather I've ever had from this soap today. I didn't think water hardness really would make much difference but wow, does it ever. Applied my lather and prepared for the shave.

I only use gold dollar razor when I travel. I have a tendency to leave things behind, so I don't like to bring anything I'd be too upset about loosing. I prepped the edge before I left so just a couple passes on the stop and I was ready to start. I found my starting position and paused for a minute to meditate on the moment. Warm, faintly salty air, light scent of the cedars and pines. Feel of the morning mist on my skin. Very quiet morning, light splashing of waves in the background, a seagull flying by. The view of the water and the other islands across the way... A deep breath in, and then out... The first pass. Razor glides smooth across my face. Almost no sound as it clears the stubble from my face. I break with the tradition of with the grain, cross grain, against grain, and start with across the grain. This leaves most my face BBS on the first pass. A second lather and against the grain on my jawline. Perfect. My fingers can no longer feel any stubble. Splash of cold water and pat my face dry. A splash of aftershave, Anne Bnony to match the soap.

The overall silence is broken by the screech of an eagle flying over the water. It seemed the perfect touch to finish a great shave. The only thing left to do is sit and enjoy my tea (Dan Cong "Honey Orchid Aroma" oolong) and wait for the rest of the family to wake up.

Gorgeous scenery up there indeed, I spent last spring in Stanwood on Lake Goodwin. Saal Brewing has great beer and incredible mango jabenero salsa steak tacos. Oh, your shave sounds lovely this morn. Cheers 👍🏽.

I'm on vacation, seeing my folks in Washington. Their house is on Camano Island, looking across to Whidbey. It ended up being an overcast morning, with a slight mist in the air. The kind of thing that if you sit still for a while you'll start to notice moisture collecting in your arm hairs. But it was still comfortably warm out and not so socked in that their was no view from the back porch. The house isn't right on the water, it sits up the hill a little, but still close enough to smell the salty air and make out the sounds of bigger waves hitting the rocky beach below. Inland enough to mix the coastal smells with the inland smells. Cedar and pine trees, the ferns my mother planted everywhere.

A good place for a Friday morning shave.

It was 6am, I set my thigs out on the table out back. I had already showered and washed my face (Gabriel Cosmetics Red Seaweed exfoliating face wash). I put out a bowl and a pitcher of hot water. Set up a mirror on the railing. I rewet my face with a washcloth soaked in hot water, then applied a little Taconic preshave oil. Massaged into my face for a minute and then reapplied the towel.

I used Dr. Jons Anne Bonny soap. It seemed appropriate for a shave by the water. I lathered in my travel bowl with an Omega boars hair brush. The water here is much softer than at home in Missoula. The best lather I've ever had from this soap today. I didn't think water hardness really would make much difference but wow, does it ever. Applied my lather and prepared for the shave.

I only use gold dollar razor when I travel. I have a tendency to leave things behind, so I don't like to bring anything I'd be too upset about loosing. I prepped the edge before I left so just a couple passes on the stop and I was ready to start. I found my starting position and paused for a minute to meditate on the moment. Warm, faintly salty air, light scent of the cedars and pines. Feel of the morning mist on my skin. Very quiet morning, light splashing of waves in the background, a seagull flying by. The view of the water and the other islands across the way... A deep breath in, and then out... The first pass. Razor glides smooth across my face. Almost no sound as it clears the stubble from my face. I break with the tradition of with the grain, cross grain, against grain, and start with across the grain. This leaves most my face BBS on the first pass. A second lather and against the grain on my jawline. Perfect. My fingers can no longer feel any stubble. Splash of cold water and pat my face dry. A splash of aftershave, Anne Bnony to match the soap.

The overall silence is broken by the screech of an eagle flying over the water. It seemed the perfect touch to finish a great shave. The only thing left to do is sit and enjoy my tea (Dan Cong "Honey Orchid Aroma" oolong) and wait for the rest of the family to wake up.
A lovely, lyrical description of one of those special mornings.

I like lyrical. :thumbup1:

Good stuff. I find myself picking one atypically used aftershave splash to use only for vacations. They say scent is the sense that is most connected to memory. I find it helps with soaking in those relaxing moments where we disconnect and just be.

Good stuff. I find myself picking one atypically used aftershave splash to use only for vacations. They say scent is the sense that is most connected to memory. I find it helps with soaking in those relaxing moments where we disconnect and just be.
It absolutely is. It can have strong effects on mood too which is why I like having options for fragrances. I like deciding where my head is ant and where I want it to be for the day and choosing a fragrance that matches it.
B&M Cheshire hits a special place for me. Growing up in the Pacific Northwest one of my favorite things on the really gloomy days was a cup of earl grey tea. That smell makes me long for fisherman sweaters, and clam chowder, thick wet fogs and morning mists. I suddenly want to feel that wet cold again.

Thanx for sharing a nice description.

I've never understood why some guys don't shave on Sundays, or when on vacation.

Special days are when I wanna look my best and feel my best.

Thanx for sharing a nice description.

I've never understood why some guys don't shave on Sundays, or when on vacation.

Special days are when I wanna look my best and feel my best.
Unless my vacation is backpacking over the mountains, I always love shaving on vacation. It just feels more special.

Top Bottom